Help finding my great grandfather...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ricktodd2

Help finding my great grandfather...

Post by ricktodd2 »

I am wondering if anyone has access to the 1920 census, specifically for Los Angeles County. My great grandfather I believe was Italian and married a Mexican woman by the name of Juana Uribe. His last name was Espinosa. He had 3 children with here, Jesus, Sabina, and Marcelino. I am awaiting my grandfather's birth certificate from the California state government but it is taking weeks and weeks because our state government is falling apart. What I am trying to determine is my great grandfather's name, and whether he was Italian. This may all be listed on the 1920 census. I have looked on the 1930 census and he was already dead by that time, and his wife a widow. But there is no information about him. I cannot ask my relatives about him because these people did not raise my parent, and their only connection to us is through blood. If anyone has the 1920 census and could look this up, or knows of another way to find out I Would be very thankful.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Help finding my great grandfather...

Post by brujaojos »

ricktodd2 wrote:I am wondering if anyone has access to the 1920 census, specifically for Los Angeles County. My great grandfather I believe was Italian and married a Mexican woman by the name of Juana Uribe. His last name was Espinosa. He had 3 children with here, Jesus, Sabina, and Marcelino. I am awaiting my grandfather's birth certificate from the California state government but it is taking weeks and weeks because our state government is falling apart. What I am trying to determine is my great grandfather's name, and whether he was Italian. This may all be listed on the 1920 census. I have looked on the 1930 census and he was already dead by that time, and his wife a widow. But there is no information about him. I cannot ask my relatives about him because these people did not raise my parent, and their only connection to us is through blood. If anyone has the 1920 census and could look this up, or knows of another way to find out I Would be very thankful.
Hi There,

Can you give us your Grandfather's First/Given Name? Also, do you have the year of birth for him?

Thanks,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

ricktodd2 wrote: My great grandfather I believe was Italian and married a Mexican woman by the name of Juana Uribe.
Here is information on Juana Uribe

Name: ESPINOSA, JUANA U
Social Security #: 566053153
Sex: FEMALE
Birth Date: 27 Dec 1884
Birthplace: MEXICO
Death Date: 18 Dec 1986
Death Place: LOS ANGELES
Mother's Maiden Name: MARTINEZ
Father's Surname: URIBE

Per the 1930 Census, it states the children were all born in California and their parents are both born in Mexico.

Also, per the 1930 Census, it states that Juana (aka-Jane) came to the USA in 1905.

Here is the information for that 1930 Census in case anyone else on this website is trying to find information for you.

Name: Sabina Espinosa
Estimated birth year: abt 1919
Relation to head-of-house: Daughter
Home in 1930: Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
Image source: Year: 1930; Census Place: Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California; Roll: 166; Page: 30A; Enumeration District: 791; Image: 771.0.

I'm still looking for information.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

ricktodd2 wrote: Jesus, Sabina, and Marcelino.
I think this is the death information on Jesus and Marcelino.

Name: Marcelino U. Espinosa
Last Residence: 90640 Montebello, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
Born: 6 Jan 1918
Died: 20 Mar 1996
State (Year) SSN issued: California (Before 1951 )

Name: Jesus U. Espinosa
Last Residence: 91791 West Covina, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
Born: 24 Feb 1915
Died: 14 Sep 1998
State (Year) SSN issued: California (Before 1951 )

I hope this helps,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
ricktodd2

Post by ricktodd2 »

Thank you for the help so far. I already have discovered this information, my main question is just information on the great grandfather, Juana's husband who I haven't been able to find any information on. I do not know his first name, only his last. The children's information I already have discovered. As for Juana's birthday, the 1930 census lists it as 1892, but I have also seen it listed as 1884 by social security. I'm actually not sure if either is accurate. Family members decades ago told my mother that she was part Italian, and that would have come from my great grandfather. Thank you for your help Trish, and if you could find out any information on Juana's (Jane's) husband that would be great. I looked for them in the 1920 census and could not find their family.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

ricktodd2 wrote:Thank you for the help so far. I already have discovered this information, my main question is just information on the great grandfather, Juana's husband who I haven't been able to find any information on. I do not know his first name, only his last. The children's information I already have discovered. As for Juana's birthday, the 1930 census lists it as 1892, but I have also seen it listed as 1884 by social security. I'm actually not sure if either is accurate. Family members decades ago told my mother that she was part Italian, and that would have come from my great grandfather. Thank you for your help Trish, and if you could find out any information on Juana's (Jane's) husband that would be great. I looked for them in the 1920 census and could not find their family.
Hi Again,

You still didn't tell us what your grandfather's first name is? We need his full name in order to search records for you.

Also, do you know his birth year?

Thanks
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
ricktodd2

Post by ricktodd2 »

That's the problem, I don't know his first name. I also don't know when he was born, but I believe it probably was between 1880-1895. I'm sorry I can't help you with more information, but that is honestly all I know until I get my grandfather's birth certificate from the state of California. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear in what I was searching for. I literally do not know anything about my great grandfather except what his last name was and who he was married to. He also died sometime before 1930.
goldhunter
Rookie
Rookie

Post by goldhunter »

Hi ricktodd2,

Do you live in S. California? There are numerous offices throughout the state where you can request a vital record, however, in the Norwalk office anyone can view archived records. They have birth, death and marriage certifcates going back to the 1800's. If you only want to view a record, all you need is some form of identification. They will hand you a photo copy of the document which you have to return. It's free. You can write down any information you want to take with you.

I would suggest starting with the the death certificate for Juana (Uribe) Espinosa. It would have her spouse's name. (your great grandfather) and possibly her parent's names. If you are lucky, it will also include her mother's maiden name and may also have the date when your great grandfather died. The name and address of the person who signed the document is most likely a next of kin, (one of the grandchildren). From there, you can work forward and possibly find some living relatives.

I hope this is an option for you.

Good luck, ... Jay
ricktodd2

Post by ricktodd2 »

Great idea! I actually was at the Norwalk office a few months ago to look up property records. I can't believe I didn't think of this. I'm actually living in England now, but I will have a relative of mine look it up for me. Thanks for the advice!