FHL Film

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
DonnaH
Rookie
Rookie

FHL Film

Post by DonnaH »

Good Morning Everyone!! Seens I always have a problem. I received my film from the FHL last week. The film is very bad. I am having trouble reading most birth records. I guess if I knew more Italian I could guess at the words but don't want to take the chance and go searching in the wrong direction. I have tried enlarging them and lightening them but no luck. the representative made a few calls and if I ordered a duplicate it most likely would be the same.
My question. Since I can read some of the ordinance #'s would I have any luck in writing to the commune for them to send me the information since it would not take long to look up, I would even send the copies I have. I have not had any luck with them so far. Have written 2 times in the last year and nothing so far.

Donna
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: FHL Film

Post by mfjp »

Are the indexes in bad shape too... ??

Am hoping that the film does include indexes??? Not all do...

mfjp
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

DonnaH wrote:Good Morning Everyone!! Seens I always have a problem. I received my film from the FHL last week. The film is very bad. I am having trouble reading most birth records. I guess if I knew more Italian I could guess at the words but don't want to take the chance and go searching in the wrong direction. I have tried enlarging them and lightening them but no luck. the representative made a few calls and if I ordered a duplicate it most likely would be the same.
My question. Since I can read some of the ordinance #'s would I have any luck in writing to the commune for them to send me the information since it would not take long to look up, I would even send the copies I have. I have not had any luck with them so far. Have written 2 times in the last year and nothing so far.

Donna
==============================================

sometime ago i read that if you place colored cellophane paper over the glass it will enhance the image. hopefully the person who posted that message will read this one and elaborate on the system.

are you sending the letters written in italian or english? italian would be the preferred method.
DonnaH
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DonnaH »

Yes there are indexes but they are in the same shape.
Yes my letters were written in Italian with postage reply coupons and
a donation.

Donna
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The method you refer to juan sounds much like the method used to teach one of my children to read. A colored sheet of cellophane was placed over the reading material, thereby making the printed material darker in image,
and somewhat bolder to the eye. If I remember correctly a green and red sheet were used, not at the same time mind you, but he was to choose the one which worked best for him.
wldspirit
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

DonnaH wrote:Good Morning Everyone!! Seens I always have a problem. I received my film from the FHL last week. The film is very bad. I am having trouble reading most birth records. I guess if I knew more Italian I could guess at the words but don't want to take the chance and go searching in the wrong direction. I have tried enlarging them and lightening them but no luck. the representative made a few calls and if I ordered a duplicate it most likely would be the same.

Donna
Hi Donna,

I work at a FHC and this is how we handle certain situations like yours. There should be a huge yellow piece of cardboard in the FHC. That is used like Juan and Wldspirit stated to help bring out the lettering.

Also, ask the Volunteer at the FHC if you can view your film on the main microfilm printer. We allow our Patrons to use the Printer to view their film especially if its too dark. However, is someone needs to make a copy, you need to get off the viewer for them.

Also, the Main Family History Center in Utah can make you copies from their equipment. There is a form you use and tell them the film number, page number, and the information and they will make you a copy using their "professional" equipment. The cost is about 25cents a copy and they come out great.

And, like Mjfp stated, if you can make out some names, dates, and the Act's Order Number and then write to Italy, that might help them look for the record. Remember, they have every day business to attend to and here we come along and ask them to do more work. So the more information they have, the easier it will make their job. Also, don't forget to send two International Return Coupons with your letter.

Hope this all helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum