Urrata from Lentini

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
iamkfred

Urrata from Lentini

Post by iamkfred »

Hello,

I am looking for information on the Urrata family line from Lentini Sicily. One of my Ancestors was Agata Urrata, born in 1860 in Lentini, married to Alfio Aparo (born in 1854). They had a daughter Cirina "Angelina" Aparo, who came to the United States in August of 1907. I'm trying to find her parents of course. The ship manifest indicates her origin was Lentini. I'm looking for marriage and any other family records that can help identify when they were married (i think it was around 1880), and of course linking to the parents.

Thanks!
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Urrata from Lentini

Post by PippoM »

Here is the death act of Agata Urrata:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 2060375216

#82 March 15th, 1932
Declarant: Filadelfo Aparo, 50 years, peasant (maybe her son?)
Died on the same day at 9am in 55, via Fontanelle.
She was 75, a housewife, born and residing in Lentini, the daughter of Francesco (peasant) and Carmela Nardo (housewife), both deceased, and the widow of Alfio Aparo.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
iamkfred

Post by iamkfred »

Thank you very much! I have done most of my research from familysearch.org, but didn't realize that there were records like this that were not digitally indexed. Would you be able to look for similar information for Alfio Aparo? I don't have a death date for him, but I expect he died in Lentini since that's where Agata lived her whole life. Also, how might I identify all of her children? Filedelfo may be one of her children, but the only one I have record of was Cirina "Angelina" Aparo (born in 1886). Also, if you don't mind, can you share with me how you located that record? Is there a digital index that can be searched somewhere?

Thanks again,

Kevin
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Hi Kevin,
I looked in the ten-years indexes for death ("indici decennali morti") for 1931-1940; some days are gone, but I think I could not find Alfio Aparo in it. Unfortunately, there are no earlier indexes, but there are registers of deaths for years 1914-1929. At the end of every year there an index for that year, so, with some patience, you should go through the register and look in all indexes...of course, you don't have to go page-by-page, but you can go forward typing the number of page you want to go to. So, for instance, if the register has 3000 pages and 20 years, you will find an index every 150 pages (more or less).

iamkfred

Post by iamkfred »

Thanks Pippo, that's exactly what I was looking for. What is the link you normally start from? For example, I also have ancestors from Poggioreale (Luca Scamardi 1872-1942 and Vita Allegro 1845-?), but don't see that commune listed when I go to https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... Fwaypoints

I suspect those records just aren't there, but thought I would check in case I'm missing something.

Thanks again for all your help!
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

If you start from here:

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list

you will see all collections available online, listed in alphabetical order by country.
If you choose "Catalog" from upper menu, you can search for collections available on microfilm. You can rent the ones you need and see them at your nearest Family History Center. They are listed here:
https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator?c=

In your case, registers for Poggioreale, province of Trapani, are only available on microfilm, by now.