Is this a real address

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Is this a real address

Post by marymary52 »

Hello, here is a address where my grandfather was born Birth Act number 189 - Year 1877
Would I be able to find this house if I was in Castellammare di Stabia?

Scognamiglio Luigi was born on the day 17 february 1877 at 11.30 a.m. in Castellammare di stabia at the address Piazza Grande number 9. Son of Stanislao Scognamiglio son of the living Pasquale, age 49, sailor and of his wife Maria Rosati daughter of the late Giuseppe, age 43. The informant of the birth was Elisabetta Vanacore, age 71 midwife, being the father of the baby absent from home.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Is this a real address

Post by adelfio »

You can use google map I think it is Strada Piazza Grande,#9 it comes up in Castellammare di Stabia

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

One more thing.... Pietro Scognamiglio died in Castellammare di Stabia on the day 10 July 1872 at his house in Piazza Grande Street - Case Cascone (Big place street - Cascone Houses). He was 12 days old, son of Stanislao, boats proprietor and of Maria Rosato.

Does Case Cascone only mean Big place street? I thought it maybe was the name of the owners house.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Case <surname> in that area usually means a "cortile" ("court", an open space surrounded by buildings) not facing the main street, but accessed thru an arch or a door, originally owned by the family with that surname. Anyway, it can also mean a Group of buildings (without the architectonic structure before mentioned) owned by that family.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.