Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
maerunnalls

Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?

Post by maerunnalls »

Good day,

I am needing some help to figure out if I am, hopefully, eligible for Italian Citizenship. My Great Grandfather was born in Italy in Perrero, Torino and eventually moved to South Africa where he naturalized in 1939. My Grandmother was born in Zambia in 1919. My Mother was born in 1946 in Cape Town, South Africa. Neither my Grandmother or mother had/has Italian Citizenship, however, my grandmother did inquire and at the time she was told that because of the year her father naturalized she was not eligible. This seems to have fallen away.

I would so love to pursue this incredible opportunity if it is at all possible but I have not been able to get any conclusive advice thus far.

Would anyone be able to advise me as to whether I am eligible and if so how to proceed further.

Any help would be so appreciated!

Many thanks,

Mary
maerunnalls

Re: Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?

Post by maerunnalls »

Additional information:

My Great Grandfather was born in 20.07.1892 in Perrero.
His name was Gustavo Pons

My Grandmother, Mayette Pons, born 16.01.1919, married a South African in 1941.

Many thanks.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I think the problem arises because your gm was born in Zambia. Because she did not receive South African citizenship at birth and was a minor (under the age of 21) when her father naturalized, she naturalized with him, ending the citizenship line.

Since she lost her citizenship through naturalization, she could reacquire it via a short trip to Italy, but given her age (is she still living?) this is likely not worth the effort.

You and/or your mother would be eligible to naturalize after legally residing in Italy for three years. This is an expedited path based on your gf's citizenship. Your minor children would receive citizenship with you. Unfortunately, this path is somewhat problematic because you are not permitted to work in Italy during this period.
maerunnalls

Post by maerunnalls »

Hi Mler,

Thank you so much for your reply!

You wrote:
'Since she lost her citizenship through naturalization, she could reacquire it via a short trip to Italy, but given her age (is she still living?) this is likely not worth the effort.
My grandmother has sadly passed away, but she did visit Italy as an adult. Would she have had to register there in order to re-instate her Italian Citizenship or was her visit enough. She was in Italy in 1974 or 1975.

I appreciate your help!

Kind regards
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

No, she wouldn't have been able to reacquire her citizenship during those years because dual citizenship was not permitted until 1992 and the mechanism for reacquisition at that time would have required her to renounce her SA citizenship.

What was your great grandmother's citizenship, and did she ever naturalize? I ask because I'm wondering if she might have obtained Italian citizenship when she married.
maerunnalls

Post by maerunnalls »

Okay, so sadly it was too early to hold dual Citizenship.

My Great Grandmother was Swiss. No one in our family recalls her ever having naturalized. I have recently applied to our local Home Affairs to confirm if she did or didn't. It will take a month or two before I will have an answer.

How do I find out if my Great Grand parents ever registered their marriage in Italy? They traveled back and forth between South Africa and Italy on numerous occasions, so I am hopeful that they did. My Great Grandmothers name was Lucie Louise Goy and she became Pons when she married my g-grandfather.

Thank you for your help!
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I know only a little about complicated cases such as yours, but there is a small possibility that your ggm obtained Italian citizenship when she married your ggf. There then may be a possibility that your gm remained Italian if your ggm did not naturalize. If this happened, it would be a 1948 case, which would require legal action, but 1948 cases have been very successful and not inordinately expensive.

I am totally not sure about any of this and may be entirely off base, so I suggest you post your information at http://www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org Some of the posters there are more familiar with the intricacies of Italian citizenship law and will be able to provide you with more definitive information.

Be sure to mention your Swiss ggm.
maerunnalls

Post by maerunnalls »

Hi Mler

Thanks again, for your help!

Kind regards,

Mary
Leon Di Luzio

Post by Leon Di Luzio »

Hi there

The advocate Luigi Paiano at avvocato@luigipaiano.com is most informative and will be able to assist you, I am from South Africa and he has taken on my case!

Cheers and good luck
Leon Di Luzio

Post by Leon Di Luzio »

Sorry email incorrect, slip of the finger!Correct as below

avvocato@luigipaiano.com
Leon Di Luzio

Post by Leon Di Luzio »

Oh I see the problem now, the two v appear as a w
maerunnalls

Post by maerunnalls »

Hi Leon,

Thank you for that information - I have actually made contact with Luigi already. Are you still awaiting the outcome of your trial? Are you fighting the 1948 rule? I would like to find out more about your case!

My email address is maerunnalls@gmail.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Mary