Where do I go from here?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Abbagirl

Where do I go from here?

Post by Abbagirl »

I thought I found so much... but after joining this site I see I need to go on... but what do I do next?
I have traced my Abbamonte family back 7 generations... have most birth,marriage and death dates but no documents.
My family is from Salvitelle.
I only speak english ( but trying to learn italian words)
should I try to secure documents?
should I take a course or read a book on what to do next?
eventually I would like to put my family information in order for the family and my children.
Any help or advice is surely appreciated!
thank you.
Joyce
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Where do I go from here?

Post by VaDeb »

Just curious, how do you have most of the birth, marriage and death dates going back 7 generations, but have no records? The answer to this will be the key in how to proceed.

Should I try to secure documents? Absolutely YES!! You have a head start on most as you have the information.
Abbagirl

Post by Abbagirl »

Thank you Debbie for the quick response. I believe I was misleading. 7 generations means from My grandson on down.
Her are the names I have from Salvitelle:
My great grandfather was Silvio Abbamonte ( I believe he had a brother named Salvatore. the confusion comes in because I think silvios middle name was Salvatore. He was born in 1877.or 1875. came to NY. 1903 . Died in Queens NY. 1948 buried in Calvery.
I have a great great grandmother named Giovanna ( I think her maiden name was LaPera. she was buried in Calvery, (NY) in 1933 I think she was married to Davido Abbamonte in Aug.1877.
Their parents were Guiseppe Davido and Felicia Christine Abbamonte (that was her maiden name too, I believe.)

I think Silvio and Salvatore were brothers. I have much more information on Salvatore who should be my great uncle.
Also I am told silvio had brothers born in Salvitelle. Carmine and Orestes.

thank you so much . Maybe you can clarify some of this for me. I think I might be confusing two families.
JOyce
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Joyce,

YOu have alot of information, now you need to document and confirm it. Start with your parents. If you haven't already, get their death certificates and obituaries. Then their marriage record and birth records. EAch certificate will give you more information from the previous generation.
Also look for the family in US census records. Available from 1930 on back. Once you have an ancestor born in Italy and know some details you are ready to start on Italian records.

There is mircrfilm available for your town in Italy:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Here is a post by Trish on how to use the microfilm:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581

Good luck in your research.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi There,

Va Deb gave you great information. Also, on the Family History Center's website, you can download their PAF file which is the Personal Ancestral File.

This Program is FREE! It is also an excellent program where you can log in all your family's information and keep it organized.

It's in the bottom right hand corner of the page.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp

Once you click on to download, a page will appear for you to register. As I stated, it's free. It's simple to download and simple to use.

Hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Abbagirl

Post by Abbagirl »

Debbie and Trish,
Thank you so much for your help.
I will get started soon.
I just get consumed and do nothing else. I love it!
Im sure Ill need your help again sometime.
Joyce