Any "Lanza's" out there?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Giovannitx1

Any "Lanza's" out there?

Post by Giovannitx1 »

I am new and looking for anyone out there who has searched for or found ancestors with the surename of Lanza. I migrated to the US from the town of Monreale close to Palermo located in Sicily (Italy) in 1966. My Grandfather was Giovanni Lanza and my Dad is Castrenze Lanza born in 1940. Other than having inherited his name, I have little information about my Grandfather Giovanni Lanza as he passed away prior to my Dad's birth. Any information would be appreciated... Best Regards, GL.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Any "Lanza's" out there?

Post by mfjp »

Hi,

You didn't mention his year of birth... so I am taking a chance here...

There is a record of ...

Name: Giovanni Lanza

Arrival Date: 11 Mar 1924

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1919 Gender: Male Ethnic Background: Italian (South)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy Ship Name: Patria Port of Arrival:
New York, New York Friend's Name: Gaetano Lanza Last Residence:
Italy Birthplace: Shrevenport, United States of America Microfilm Roll Number: 25

Unfortunately I get an error message when I try to view the manifest.. but I will try again soon...

mfjp
Giovannitx1

Post by Giovannitx1 »

Thank you for the information... To my knowledge Grandfather Giovanni Lanza did not migrate to the US, however there may be some relatives in Louisiana. Ironicaly Shreveport is listed on your search, hmmm... I will see if my Dad Castrenze has any additional information regarding his Fathers birth, Again, THANK YOU...
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Should you wish to research further... there is quite a collection of ancestral files that have been photographed and stored on film.

Tips on how to research from film... courtesy of Trish

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581

Film available:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Giovannitx1 wrote:I am new and looking for anyone out there who has searched for or found ancestors with the surename of Lanza. I migrated to the US from the town of Monreale close to Palermo located in Sicily (Italy) in 1966. My Grandfather was Giovanni Lanza and my Dad is Castrenze Lanza born in 1940. Other than having inherited his name, I have little information about my Grandfather Giovanni Lanza as he passed away prior to my Dad's birth. Any information would be appreciated... Best Regards, GL.
Hi: The lanza family in Monreale is an very ancient family... with noble title of "Don"( as lord)... and with many priest with Lanza surname in Monreale (don Luca Lanza lived around 1720); The Lanzas in Monreale coming from Corleone and Siracusa town ( before 1700); ... for your search, because your dad is born in 1940, and for privacy law, ONLY you can ask the birthact of Castrenze, but also is possible to request the documents of Castrenze siblings and about Giovanni family, please to send an request letter to:
Ufficio Anagrafe
Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, 8
90046 Monreale (PA)
Italia
fax +39 091 6407254

also you can insert ( before free registration ) to Monreale forum: http://www.comune.monreale.cres.it/Foru ... .aspx?Id=2
Here are the Lanzas living in Monreale http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... c=&x=0&y=0
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Yes Suanj, they were very important Nobles from the Palermo area of Sicily.

Also... we cannot forget Laura LANZA La Grua, Barunissa di Carini!

Brief Story

More detailed thanks to Nino Russo!

I recently found documents that she served as godmother to three of my ancestors.

Jim :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Yes James the sad and famous story of Baronessa di Carini!!!The Lanzas are in all Sicily and with noble title! But in Monreale ( by papers in archivio Storico Diocesano) I found the Lanza surname around 1700, and in some case with the precisation that was from Corleone and Siracusa.. also I'm in contact with Camastra's Lanza descendants, currently living in UK.........best regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jlagrua

Post by jlagrua »

I know this thread is in regards to the Lanza family, but I figured because of my family's relations to them I might interject a query. The La Gruas of Carini are (in)famous for the obvious but I am trying to bridge the gap between the famous and the anonymous.

I have traced my family back to their landing in America at the turn of the 20th century (1900-1901) and I know they departed from Castelbuono/Palermo. Does anyone know of any online vital records from there? My great-grandfather Vincent (Vincenzo) arrived in NY/Ellis Is. and then moved to New England (Rhode Is. for a short time then New London, CT). But I'd like to find the next jump back so I can pick up the thread. Barring online records, what is the best way to research the vital records in Castelbuono/Palermo?

Also are there any records which might link Carini to Castelbuono?

Any information greatly appreciated!!

Regards,
Jeff La Grua