Help: petition for naturalization or naturalization docs

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Schuyler

Help: petition for naturalization or naturalization docs

Post by Schuyler »

Any help would be appreciated
I'm looking for my grandfathers petition/naturalization docs - and have had no luck!

Emidio (Emilio) planamente
Born may 15,1890
Castiglione messer raimondo
Near Teramo abruzzo Italy

Was in Philadelphia area 1913 & 1920 visiting/working w cousin Anthony planamenti living at 10st in Philadelphia
In 1920 arrived w wife ermelina melchiore

(After several children born she passed on and he returned to Italy )

Married my grandmother
Madelena Teresa Giardini February 1930. Castelli (te) Italy
Returned to NYC August 1930 - he appears to have us passport (does this mean he was naturalized before returning to Italy???)

Was living at 317 Halstead ave Harrison ny in 1933 and appears in 1940 us census at this address

Any help w naturalization docs MOST appreciated!
Thank you
jmb44
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help: petition for naturalization or naturalization docs

Post by jmb44 »

Where have you looked? Nara and the us immigration service can search for records. Have you tried those agencies?
Schuyler

Post by Schuyler »

yes, nara & uscis both offered letters of nonexistence of a record; would be a huge benefit to have a definiate naturalization date to aide me in application with the Italian consulate for dual citizenship... I just can't believe that docs can't be easily found; alternatively, I have the 1940 census which shows NA - naturalized - however, my grandparents arrived in the USA in 1930 and my dad born in 1933 so it would appear that there wasn't time to naturalize prior to his birth - but, Italian Consulate apparently uses the census doc as a definitive answer - and I hope to be able to refute that date....
jmb44
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jmb44 »

If he was born in Italy to italian parents he would have to have been naturalized to have a us passport. He could have travelled without a us passport..using italian passport or us resident card.