born somewhere in calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Re: born somewhere in calabria

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Antonio Cortese, age 25, of Nicastro, came through Castle Gardens on 17 June 1899.
Donna Pellegrin
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Donna, linking the record that you mentioned.

This Antonio is single, a tailor and off to New York. Travels alone, and is also from Nicastro.

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/1493/antcort7nb.jpg

June 17, 1899 on the ship Patria leaving from the port of Marseilles.

See line 13 on this record...

mfjp
tjcort
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tjcort »

so the 1897 or 1891 entry date on the 1920 census is really 1899.
Where is Castle gardens and Marseilles..... any insight as to why he would ldepart and arrive from less traditional ports such as Naples and Ellis Island ???

Thanks all
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Please take a look here.. during your absence, this wonderful site opened up. The name transcriptions here are really good.

http://www.castlegarden.org/ read info here about this port...

This data only website allows you to look for ship records from the Castle Gardens Immigration Center (pre 1892 ship records).

It also includes a few years of the Ellis Island records... from 1892 and on...but not everything.)

For Ellis Island manifests - 1892-1924 search here- www.ellisisland.org or www.stevemorse.org

I think the manifest Donna found (a great logical find) is an Ellis Island manifest which she found at the Castle Gardens website linked above.

Marseilles was France's largest port... why this Antonio Cortese was on this boat... who knows?? Maybe this boat made a few stops along the way... say from France to Naples to Palermo then to Ellis Island??

The manifest is a logical one... for one thing, he is single. I think he married in 1903-1904. He's from Nicastro.... a tailor.... the year of birth is right on...

I think you should check out Maria's cemetery info (as Trish and the others suggested way back on page 3 or 4...) there's still lots to discover.

I think the address 22 Carmel Street is an interesting one... as it seemed to be a place where many stopped by... who ever helped them out, shared this home to many. I would be curious to see who lived here in 1900.

So when are you going to Italy? Hope “Rosina and Pasqualeâ€Â
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

HI Everyone,
I have been away in Sunny Florida. Trying to catch up on this one, its been long and difficult. If I missed somethings, hopefully someone can clarrify for me a few questions:

1. Nicastro replied they had a birth record for Antonio Cortese, but the age is off by almost 2 years from the data Antonio used in the USA. At the time of the request the name of Antonio's parents were unknown. How do we know that this birth record is for the "correct" Antonio that Tcort has been searching for.

2. Did you send a FIOA request for all information on Antonio and one for Christina to the US Citizenship and Immigration services? If Antonio lived here during the 1940's he would have to fill out an alien registration card. A copy of this may help with the details.
tjcort
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tjcort »

Dear Deb,

The seond time I wrote to Nicastro, I had the benefit of having antonio's parent names.. So with the additional info, apparently the Nicastro folks were able to locate a record of Antonio.

I did write using the FIOA request. They sent me a certificate of Non-existance for every birthdate that I gave them for Antonio, whihch is consisitent with with I know as he was never naturalized. Antonio died in 1939 so he did not need to register as a alien

However, Christina did. I sent to the US courthouse In Philadelphia and FIOA request for Cristina, using the reqistration number found above her name on the manifest that MFJP was able to locate. They sent me info on a totally wong Cristina that did not even match the info on the Manifest.

What a long long trip its been

Thanks for checking back with me
tjcort
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tjcort »

Dear Deb,

The seond time I wrote to Nicastro, I had the benefit of having antonio's parent names.. So with the additional info, apparently the Nicastro folks were able to locate a record of Antonio.

I did write using the FIOA request. They sent me a certificate of Non-existance for every birthdate that I gave them for Antonio, whihch is consisitent with with I know as he was never naturalized. Antonio died in 1939 so he did not need to register as a alien

However, Christina did. I sent to the US courthouse In Philadelphia and FIOA request for Cristina, using the reqistration number found above her name on the manifest that MFJP was able to locate. They sent me info on a totally wong Cristina that did not even match the info on the Manifest.

What a long long trip its been

Thanks for checking back with me
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Thanks for clarifying for me. This is alot of information to follow.

You need to file a FOIA with the US government. They have copies of all naturalization information after 1906.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-639.htm

YOu may also find a copy of the naturalization in NARA or the court archives, but when you write to US Immigration and Citizenship services, request a copy of all records on the individual. You may be surprised at when you get. I have never been charged for the records. Sometimes they are slow, I have waited from 4 weeks to 5 months for documents.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Tom, not me who found the manifest of Cristina...

Just wondering if line 2 was a Pascuzzo or a Cascuzzo?

Anyways.... thought I would post it here (lots of posts to go through...)

First Name: Cristina
Last Name: Pascuzzo
Ethnicity: Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Acri, Italy
Date of Arrival: Sep 23, 1912
Age at Arrival:  18y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Stampalia
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0001

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0516%2ETIF

Best of luck to you in a few days... hope you do receive the other forms you require.. and please follow up on the cemetery info as well.

mfjp

oops .. one more thing... as for the 1930 census record...

I tried every possible combination to find a record... but nothing.

I even tried first name only searches for Cristina + Antonio, Christine + Anthony, Tina + Tony... Chistina + Tony... you name it... also searched through the NJ census records... maybe they were out for the day...
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Don't forget the variation of Toney! Not sure where it comes from, but I have seen it frequently.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Don't forget the variation of Toney!

I'm pooped... I'll let you search for that one... :wink:

mfjp :D
tjcort
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tjcort »

Hey all ,
I went to the Italian Consulate today and they took
all of my documents and I now have dual Italian / US
citizenship. He said I have been an Italian since
birth and this process is only a formality.
It takes 1 year for the paperwork to be filed in
nicastro, then I'll receive a document that will
confirm my Italian citizenship. Then I can apply for
a Italian Passport.

My boys can get their Italian citizenship just by
presenting their birth certificates . My wife will
take longer since she needs to wait until I get my
passport then she can apply as the marriage needs to
be recorded in Italy first

Blood is thicker than water.

So thanks for all of your help and to the members of
the board who have helped so much

Calabria guy
cortese9

Post by cortese9 »

tjcort wrote:I have 3-4 different versions of the spelling of her last name, even by my father and aunt's . Different on the marriage app and certificate.

By the way, I respectfully do not understand mfjp's conclusion of Antonio's arrival in 1898 aboard the Karamania. It looks more and more doubious to me.

The DOB is 10+ years off, the marital stautus is probably wrong , he was not a mason, and I have closer matches for other Antonio's

Again, what leads to that Particular Antonio rather than the One from San G. of F. ?
I think this is my Antonio died 1929 his wife was a rose desarro and her moms name was last samuel.v.cortese scalise