Comune can't find birth certificate- Next steps to take?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
alison90

Comune can't find birth certificate- Next steps to take?

Post by alison90 »

Hi,

I'm in the process of claiming citizenship via my Great-Grandfather, and there is only one document that can't seem to be located- his birth certificate.

I know that he was born in Cittanova- I emailed the comune on 16 December and received a letter from them last week explaining how there are three people with his name, but none of them were born on the date I had given them. I don't know his parents names, so they can't use that as a reference to match information.

I'm aware that the birth might not have been officially registered until a later date, or that the record could possibly be with the church.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend the next steps to take on how to find the birth certificate in a situation like this?

Any help is appreciated!!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Comune can't find birth certificate- Next steps to take?

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi and welcome!

What documentation do you have that identifies his place of birth as Cittanova?

If you provide some details: his name, approx. date of birth, date of immmigration and place of residence in US... maybe we can work with you to find his birth record...

T.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

The Comune has the birth record, in fact they have three. You will have to identify his father's name before they will release one. Or his mother's name. It should be on some document. His death certificate, immigration record, draft card. etc. Since you have declared it is for citizenship purposes they are being very cautious. Even if they weren't, you would have to prove which of the three is the correct one.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Agree totally with your comment, Italysearcher. It's wise for the commune to be cautious in a case like this. When my companion requested his grand-father's birth certificate from the commune, he included the first names of the parents and all nine siblings that were born in that commune.
alison90

Post by alison90 »

Thank you for all of your responses!

I'm hoping that at I'll be able to find something with his parents names, but so far, no luck.

I'm 90% positive he was born in Cittanova, because that's what I always remember hearing, and that's what it says on his naturalization papers. But it could very well have been somewhere else.

I know it's a long shot, but if by chance any of the information helps, his name was Arcangelo Galluccio (changed to Anthony DiMaria upon naturalization), his birthday was January 16th, 1891 (or 92) and he came over to the united states in April 1907 (naturalized in 1943).

Again, thank you! I'm glad that the comune is being so cautious about releasing information, but I just wish I knew more. I'll have to do some detective work to find out his parents names. I'm hoping at least one of them will be on the death certificate.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Why did he have a complete name change (first and last) at naturalization? Are you sure you have the same person?
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Do you have his Ellis Island Manifest?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
alison90

Post by alison90 »

@PippoM: I have his Ellis Island manifest.

@Jennabet: I'm positive I have the same person. It's a long story, but when he moved from Denver to LA, he changed his name. I have old papers of his that have his given name (marriage license, etc), and the name change is in his naturalization papers.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

PippoM wrote:Do you have his Ellis Island Manifest?
Here is the link to the 1907 arrival
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JXNS-CZW

It states that he was joining his brother Michele Galluccio, Elizabeth St., NYC
Maybe a search on Michele will turn up the names of parents?

Link to the naturalization INDEX CARD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :985560289
You might want to use the Petition # and A. R. # on this card to request the actual records from NARA which may have the information you are seeking...

NARA - request for reproductions
You will have to register, but registration is free. There IS a charge for the records :-)
https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

T.
alison90

Post by alison90 »

@Tessa78: Thank you! I actually ordered his records from NARA awhile back, and unfortunately they don't say anything about his parents. I'll start searching for more information on his brother to see if that anything turns up :-)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Another possibility for names of parents...

You can send for his Social Security Application (SS-5)
It usually has the parents' names and places of birth listed...

http://genealogy.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi= ... t/main.jsp

T.
tuper16

Post by tuper16 »

Dear alison90,

It is important that you track back the name of your GGF's parents. That is the only way to be sure that you are talking about the same person, specially if you do not have his exact date of birth.

In general, in marriage and death certificates you find the name of the parents. Give a close look to them. Some times, their names appears in the birth certificate of the new born child. That is, in birth certificates of your GF, and grand uncles and aunties.

In 1891, the civil records where already taken in the different towns in Italy, so most likely you will find the birth certificate of your GGF in them. If you are not 100% sure about the name of the town (Comune), what I will suggest is to send an e-mail to all town in the same province in which Cittanova is located. That is the Province of Reggio Calabria.

Here you will find the list of towns in that province:
http://www.comuni-italiani.it/080/lista.html

All the best and good luck with your enquiry.

tuper16