Comuni on holiday?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran

Comuni on holiday?

Post by Josie07M11 »

I've attempted throughout January to communicate with several comuni in Italy to retrieve records but haven't had any replies. Giardini-Naxos, who have been helpful in the past, have not responded. Nor did the comune in Messina. I checked their websites and could not find any information about them being on holiday. I've only sent a couple of emails to each so I'm sure I'm not harassing them. Has anyone else received any responses from comuni in Italy so far this year?
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Comuni on holiday?

Post by jennabet »

The last holiday in Italy when state offices were closed was January 6. They have had normal working hours since January 7.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Comuni on holiday?

Post by Italysearcher »

Things are not so simple. I telephone, write and email regularly to the various Comune with a variety of results. If they are busy, the seem to take the phone off the hook. Emails often go to the Head of the Dept. who prints them out, (maybe) and passes them to whoever. If you forgot to include your contact information in the text, you likely won't get a response.
I wrote to one Comune in Sept. Followed up a month later. I was asked to be patient. I called again 2 weeks later. It was Christmas they didn't answer the phone. I called again and was told they were busy, please be patient. I have had it. I am close enough to go personally and that is what I plan to do. I will first write to the Mayor and ask permission to do the search myself, since his staff are too busy to respond in a reasonable amount of time. I realize this is not possible for everyone but wanted to let you know that even those of us who do this regularly don't get special attention. Elections are on the horizon and the anagrafe office handles the electoral role so act now or it will be another long wait.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.