Looking for Figone/Devincenzi Families Varese

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pthim

Looking for Figone/Devincenzi Families Varese

Post by pthim »

My Great-Grandmother immigrated from Commune di Varese April 9, 1910. Her name was Caterina Figone. On the passenger manifest it gives her mother as Maria Devincenzi, and also states she was going to live with her Uncle Antonio Figone in Reno, Nevada. If any one has any info on this family, I would really appreciate it.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Looking for Figone/Devincenzi Families Varese

Post by wldspirit »

Located one Antonio Figone in Nevada....please see link for
further detail....
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/8607/dvimage0pt.png
wldspirit

*By 1920 he is the owner of his own farm, list immigration of 1899, is NOT naturalized, wife Mary, son Lawrence age 11, daughter Lena age 7, son Elvin age 4, daughter Norma age 2, are only family listed with him, and all children born in Nevada.

hope this helps...... :)
pthim

Post by pthim »

Thank you. This is my problem, my Great-Grandmother Caterina Figone immigrated to the U.S. from Italy in April 1910. She came through Ellis Island. On the manifest it states that she was going to live with her "Uncle" Antonio Figone. Simple enough, right? The problem is she marries a man in 1911 or 1912 named Antonio Figone and has five children with him. I'm trying to find out of this is truly her "Uncle". The manifest from Ellis Island says she was going to Box 213 North Avenue Reno, Nevada. So I've been looking for someone named Antonio Figone in Reno on the census in 1910 at that address. No such luck. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hey, that does make sense!! Well now it does...

First Name: Caterina
Last Name: Figone
Ethnicity: Italy Italian N.
Last Place of Residence: Commune di Varese, Italy
Date of Arrival: Apr 09, 1910
Age at Arrival:  22y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: La Provence
Port of Departure: Le Havre
Manifest Line Number: 0009

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1310080230

I had posted some information up and then deleted my message because something just didn't seem right...

I noticed 3 Antonio's in Nevada... all different birthdates...

There was a census record of an Antonio about 20 years older than his wife... (going on memory here)

His wife was a Caterina... and I first thought... this is a mistake... this has to be his niece...

I will look this one up again for you and get back to you soon... glad you mentioned more...

mfjp

Ok.. i was close... wife is listed as Kate... but has children being born in ITALY???
http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/1643/kate5fh.jpg
Name: Antonio Figone
[Antonio Fergone] 
Estimated birth year: abt 1869
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Reno, Washoe, Nevada
Home owned: Rent
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: un
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 126
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: Reno, Washoe, Nevada; Roll: T625_1005; Page: 6A; Enumeration District: 46; Image: 126.

mfjp
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Perhaps you have already seen/used the following website....but I thought I would pass it along nonetheless........I just wish ALL states would follow Nevada's lead....what a wonderful resource for those searching for ancestors in this state...... :D
wldspirit

Nevada is the first state to offer all of its federal manuscript census data online. Simple electronic indexes of names exist for some states, but the Nevada database is more comprehensive and allows for all sorts of research. Genealogists will immediately recognize the power of being able to request information on everyone bearing a certain last name. By browsing in the neighborhood of a specific entry, genealogists may learn of in-laws, of household servants, or of other aspects of a family’s living conditions. Those interested in understanding the past more generally will discover that it is possible to find information on diverse categories of people. For example, using this database one can identify all the widowed women supported by laundry work in Nevada in 1880. There are thousands of other possibilities.

http://dmla.clan.lib.nv.us/docs/shpo/nvcensus/
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

This is interesting...and not to complicate matters..... 8O
Do you know of a Mary and Louis Devincenzi of Reno, Nevada??
They appear in the 1910 census with three children....born in Italy.... :?
wldspirit
pthim

Post by pthim »

Caterina also did go by Kate, Catherine, and Katherine. Antonio and Caterina's children were Mary, Victor (which on one of the 1920 census is mispelled Victoria), Dena, Edith (Eda), and Lavina. I know that on the 1920 census that their children are listed as being born in Italy, but in the 1930 census they are said to be born in Nevada. After speaking with the family, they tell me that all of Caterina's children were born in Reno, Nevada. Now you asked me about Devincenzi, Caterina's mother on the Ellis Manifest is Maria Devincenzi, also Caterina's oldest child Mary married a John Devincenzi in Reno sometime around 1935. Mary and Louis Devincenzi I don't know if they are related or not. I'll give you I hope the quick version of this story, my Grandmother Edith (Eda) left Reno in 1943 joined the Navy changed her last name to Cassinelli, and never spoke of her family ever again and never went back to Nevada. She told everyone she was adopted and that she didn't know her real parents. So for the past three years I have been trying to find her family. To my surprise she wasn't adopted, her last name was not Casinelli, and she did know her real parents. In July, after 62 years of her family not knowing where she was or what happened to her I finally got into contact with them, but anyone who would have known any of this info is dead, (my Grandmother died in 1982). So I've been trying to piece this puzzle together as best I can. From Antonio's obit I do know that he had two brothers and in 1938 they were still in Italy Bert and John. On my grandmother's birth certificate it does give Caterina's maiden name as Figone. I guess I'm hoping if I find out more about Caterina's or Antonio's parents I will finally be able to know if they really were "uncle and Niece" as disturbing as that is. I appreciate all the help, thank you!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Haven't forgot you.....still looking at some data....
have sent mfjp a pm.....one of us will post later...... :D
wldspirit
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

wldspirit wrote:Haven't forgot you.....still looking at some data....
have sent mfjp a pm.....one of us will post later...... :D
wldspirit
Am sorting out 3 Antonio's in Reno... and the manifests that wldspirit pm'd me about.. the 1899 manifest info doesn't seem to match with the 1910 census wldspirit posted up earlier... but you never know...
am taking notes...

pthim... can you confirm the death date of Antonio?? Was it 1938? Admire your work on this project. Not easy ... especially when you have to deal with all the "shhhhhh's"... Your Grandmother Eda died in 1982 never telling a soul... ?? Casinelli was her married name??

I guess you were the first one to find out about the age difference... niece and uncle thing... and for sure the census record I posted (1920) is indeed your great grandparents...??? I need to locate the 1930 census as well...

mfjp
pthim

Post by pthim »

Antonio Figone died in Reno on October 22, 1938. His obit says he was a resident of Reno for 48 years. That puts him at about 20 years old (1890) when he came to Nevada, but I have had no luck finding him before 1920. Yes, my Grandmother died April 14, 1982 never telling another living soul, not even her husband or her children. I'm not exactly sure where the name Cassinelli comes from. I know that on the 1930 census they had neighbors with the last name Cassinelli, but why she choose that name I have no idea. Her married name was Miller. Yes, the 1920 census is them. They are in the 1930 census under Tony and Katherine Figone in Reno. I can't seem to find Antonio on the 1910 census. What ever happened between my grandmother and her family she went to great lengths to keep it a secret. She changed her name, her birthdate, her parents, anything she could to totally throw me off the right track. I can't say thank you enough for helping me.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi perhaps this record could be interesting: http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2788 ... da19ta.jpg
in 1900 Dayton census :
Antonio Figone http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/8564/a ... aytonn.jpg
neighbors Cassinelli family
in 1900 virginia City census:
Louis Figone
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/3557/l ... giniac.jpg
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I found a few manifest of Figone going to California to join a brother..
Giovanni??? But that is a great find....you have connected the Nevada
Figone to the California Figone........
wldspirit
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Ok. well, I think I have a lead as to where her name came from... see at bottom of page... "Cassinelli" .. (this note has gone through a few edits as there was quite a bit of info to research and piece together... )

Wldspirt, I took a look at the manifests (1899 and 1898) as you requested... and here is what I see... the 1898 manifest is not the same person.. as Antonio #1

First Name: Antonio Last Name: Figone Ethnicity: Italian Last Place of Residence: Varese Ligure Date of Arrival: Jun 01, 1898
Age at Arrival:  39y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M   Ship of Travel: Kaiser Wilhelm II Port of Departure: Genoa Manifest Line Number: 0002

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2534010002&

Had been in the USA for 7 years... MARRIED, birthyear is 1859... , final destination is S.Fransisco...

------------------------------------------------------
“Antonio #1â€Â
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi wldspirit, I think that are some discrepances about Kate surname.. sure was married to Tony(Antonio) FIGONE, but something let me think that the surname could be not also Figone .... I understand that pthim say Figone is Kate surname, but sure from marriage:
Name: Kate Figone
Estimated birth year: abt 1889
Sex: Female
Relation to Head of House: Wife
.. hugs, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

suanj wrote:Hi wldspirit, I think that are some discrepances about Kate surname.. sure was married to Tony(Antonio) FIGONE, but something let me think that the surname could be not also Figone .... I understand that pthim say Figone is Kate surname, but sure from marriage:
Name: Kate Figone
Estimated birth year: abt 1889
Sex: Female
Relation to Head of House: Wife
.. hugs, suanj
suanj, yes, I posted this record earlier on of this post... under Antonio's name. I am not sure I understand what you are saying.

If her surname was not Figone... then what do you think it should be??

Did you see her manifest posted earlier on? She came to the USA as a single woman, with the surname Figone going to UNCLE Antonio's home...

pthim wonders if the uncle mentioned in the manifest... ended up being her husband... NIECE married UNCLE? and that is why the surnames are the same.

mfjp