Desperate for assistance and information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Bforni

Desperate for assistance and information

Post by Bforni »

Last year I wrote on this Forum seeking information regarding my great-grandfather and great-grandmother. Because of the responses, I was able to successfully find and visit my relatives in Italy on my great-grandfather’s side. Unfortunately, I have struck out concerning my great-grandmother’s relatives – including writing letters in Italian to people with her last name within a 60-mile radius of her hometown.

Any advice or guidance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. This is the information I have so far. She came from the small village of Bore, near Parma.

Ida Bergonzi
Residence: Boston Mass
Birth Date: abt 1896 in Italy (Metti*)
Spouse Marriage Age: 23
First Marriage
Spouse Father Name: Giuseppe Bergonzi
Spouse Mother Name: Luigio (Luigia) Dadomo

* possibly the frazione Metti, in the comune Bore, Parma Province, Emilia-Romagna Region

Ida married Giovanni (John) Forni
Event City: Bridgewater
Marriage Date: 28 Aug/2 Sep 1919
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Desperate for assistance and information

Post by Tessa78 »

Bforni wrote:Last year I wrote on this Forum seeking information regarding my great-grandfather and great-grandmother. Because of the responses, I was able to successfully find and visit my relatives in Italy on my great-grandfather’s side. Unfortunately, I have struck out concerning my great-grandmother’s relatives – including writing letters in Italian to people with her last name within a 60-mile radius of her hometown.

Any advice or guidance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. This is the information I have so far. She came from the small village of Bore, near Parma.

Ida Bergonzi
Residence: Boston Mass
Birth Date: abt 1896 in Italy (Metti*)
Spouse Marriage Age: 23
First Marriage
Spouse Father Name: Giuseppe Bergonzi
Spouse Mother Name: Luigio (Luigia) Dadomo

* possibly the frazione Metti, in the comune Bore, Parma Province, Emilia-Romagna Region

Ida married Giovanni (John) Forni
Event City: Bridgewater
Marriage Date: 28 Aug/2 Sep 1919
On this arrival manifest with her mother, Luigia, and her sister, Luigia, in 1913, she lists her last place of residence as Pellegrino. She was going to Boston, MA, to her brother "Giuglio" Bergonzi on Cooper St.

Ida Bergonzi, "New York, Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924"
Given Name: Ida
Surname: Bergonzi
Last Place of Residence: Pellegrino, Italy
Event Date: 17 Jun 1913
Nationality: Italian North
Departure Port: Havre
Arrival Port: New York
Marital Status: S
Citizenship Status:
Ship Name: La Touraine

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 070666.TIF

The Comune of San Pellegrino Terme is in the Province of Bergamo, Lombardy Region, where the Bergonzi name is frequent...
MAYBE this is the place of your GGM's birth?

On the ship manifest next to her sister, Luigia's name, there is a notation that may indicate naturalization. If you locate this naturalization record it should give the place of birth for Luigia. Since the sisters are but a year apart in age, it may also be the place of birth for Ida :-)

T.
sleone1981
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sleone1981 »

Tessa you are too quick! I was just about to post the same record.

I was wondering if perhaps Pellegrino referred to Pellegrino Parmense. It is in Parma, not far from the towns of Bore and Metti. It would be entirely possible for the family to have moved there for some reason after the children were born.

Also, it looks on the manifest like Luigia is a widow. It should be possible to write to these towns regarding a death record for Giuseppe Bergonzi.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

sleone1981 wrote:Tessa you are too quick! I was just about to post the same record.

I was wondering if perhaps Pellegrino referred to Pellegrino Parmense. It is in Parma, not far from the towns of Bore and Metti. It would be entirely possible for the family to have moved there for some reason after the children were born.

Also, it looks on the manifest like Luigia is a widow. It should be possible to write to these towns regarding a death record for Giuseppe Bergonzi.
Yes, that would make more sense!

As for Luigia's husband, Giuseppe... a request for the death act is a great suggestion! :-)

T.
sleone1981
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sleone1981 »

This arrival record may reference the same family. It is from May of 1913, a month before the other record.

Arrival in New York of the SS France, departing from Le Havre.

Line #22 Luigia Bergonzi, age 17, single. From Pellegrino Italy, travelling to Braintree (near Boston) to meet a cousin, Gaetano Bergonzi.

Line #23 Maria Bergonzi Campana, age 32, married. Also from Pellegrino, travelling to Wellesley (Boston) to meet her husband Giovanni Campana
-traveling with daughters Angela and Allina, ages 6 and 3, born in Parmense. the manifest lists their closest relative back in Italy as their grandmother, Raffi Campana, born in Metti :)

Maria could be an older sister or cousin of Luigia and Ida.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... _2090-0959
Bforni

Post by Bforni »

This is great information. Thank you all for your prompt response. I am truly grateful.

Brian