Latina Family - Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
roselatina

Latina Family - Sicily

Post by roselatina »

Hi all, I'm looking for some information on my family name.

I don't know much but I do know they came from Sicily, Valguaranna to be exact or Valguarnera

They moved to Melbourne, Australia in the early 50's I assume

Some key names are Rosa Latina, Pina Latina (Josephine), Caroline Latina, and Peter.
carubia
Master
Master

Re: Latina Family - Sicily

Post by carubia »

The place must be Valguarnera Caropepe in the province of Enna. I can't think of anything else remotely spelled like that, unless it is very small. That's the 1950s, right? That's Rosa (or Rosaria or Rosalia), Giuseppa (or possibly Giuseppina), Pietro, and Carolina (or perhaps Caterina or Carmela, much more common names). Surname Latina or Latino (much more common in Sicily). How are these people related to each other?

Unfortunately it seems that FamilySearch.org doesn't have records from Enna.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

There were Peter and Rose Latina residing at 60A King St. in Niddrie, Maribyrnong, Victoria, Australia from 1968 to 1980. Are they your relatives?
roselatina

Post by roselatina »

Thanks for the feedback, Josephine and Rosa were sisters, Peter was Rose's husband, they were my grandparents.

Yes they did live there!
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

If Josephine was Rose's sister, why would she have her brother-in-law's surname? Was Rose's maiden name Latina, too? How is Caroline related?
roselatina

Post by roselatina »

Sorry, I got confused. Pina (Josephine) Nardella was her married name I'm assuming, I'm not sure about the maiden name though. Do you know them? I think Caroline was their sister also.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

In Italy women do not change their names when they marry, so they only would've been known by their maiden names. This was usually true on passenger manifests for ships leaving Italy, too.