Giustiniani Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jfvitalia

Giustiniani Family

Post by jfvitalia »

Salve Tutti,

I've been working filling in the genealogy on my cousin's surname Giustiniani. I know it's a very old name and I can see records back to the 1200s but I was specifically looking for an Anna Giustiniani (could be Giovanna also I guess) who was born 1894-1896 and arrived in the United Stated prior to 1917. She died very young and there's not many records. I would really like to know where she came from and what her actual birthday was. I believe she's from Palermo, but I'm not sure if that's correct or if it's Palermo or one of the other nearby Comuni.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me! I've been working a long time on this one. I usually can find the Shipping Manifest and then get some clues to finish the rest in a couple of weeks. Anna, however, has been much more time consuming.

-John
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Giustiniani Family

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
Do you have the parents names? Where did they settle in the US?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

jfvitalia wrote:Salve Tutti,

I've been working filling in the genealogy on my cousin's surname Giustiniani. I know it's a very old name and I can see records back to the 1200s but I was specifically looking for an Anna Giustiniani (could be Giovanna also I guess) who was born 1894-1896 and arrived in the United Stated prior to 1917. She died very young and there's not many records. I would really like to know where she came from and what her actual birthday was. I believe she's from Palermo, but I'm not sure if that's correct or if it's Palermo or one of the other nearby Comuni.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me! I've been working a long time on this one. I usually can find the Shipping Manifest and then get some clues to finish the rest in a couple of weeks. Anna, however, has been much more time consuming.

-John
Hello John,

Does the 1917 date mean that she died before 1917?

As Marty said, a place in US where she may have settled would be helpful...
Also any associated surnames (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.)

Here is a POSSIBLE arrival manifest for your Anna Giustiniani :-)
Found a Detained Aliens list with an Anna Giustiniani arriving May 1912 on the San Giorgio
Was able to locate the manifest on ellisisland.org website...

Arrival 24 May 1912 from Palermo to NYC
Anna Giustiniani, age 20 (putting her approx DOB as 1892)
Leaving brother Gioacchino Giustiniani in Palermo
Going to brother Giuseppe Giustiniani at 224 Elizabeth St., NYC
Lists her place of birth as Palermo

Link to Detained Aliens list in Ancestry.com
New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Anna Giustinani
Name: Anna Giustinani
Arrival Date: 25 May 1912
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: San Giorgio
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... turnRecord

Link to Ship manifest for San Giorgio arriving NYC May 1912, sailing from Palermo
Line 21

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 680233.TIF

Could this be your Anna?

T.
jfvitalia

Post by jfvitalia »

Thank you for your responses and your help with this. Her parents were Giovanni Giustiniani and Paola Fantaci/Fantoci. I have a marriage certificate 3 Jun 1917 showing her as 22, and she passed on 18 Jan 1922 from acute appendicitis. Nothing I seem to find has her birthdate on it.

Tessa: thank you - that may possibly be her - she may have lied about her age onboard? according to her marriage certificate she was 22 in 1917 and 17/18 in 1912.
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

jfvitalia wrote:Her parents were Giovanni Giustiniani and Paola Fantaci/Fantoci
Giovanni Maria Giustiniani, son of Francesco Paolo and Filippa Mineo, married Paola Fantaci, daughter of Antonino and Anna Abate, in Palermo 27 Oct 1865.

They had the following children, all born in Palermo:

- Francesco Paolo 20 Jun 1866
- Francesco Paolo 29 Mar 1869
- Anna 11 Oct 1870
- Filippo 29 Jun 1872
- Francesco Paolo 2 Nov 1874
- Antonino 9 Apr 1877
- Andrea 15 Apr 1880
- Giuseppe 18 Feb 1883
- Gioacchino 3 Dec 1886
- Vincenzo 11 Jun 1889
- Anna 24 Dec 1891

The above data are in the births' indexes of Palermo and are not available online. For further informations or if you want a complete family tree, please write me privately.
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Marcello_DAleo wrote:
jfvitalia wrote:Her parents were Giovanni Giustiniani and Paola Fantaci/Fantoci
Giovanni Maria Giustiniani, son of Francesco Paolo and Filippa Mineo, married Paola Fantaci, daughter of Antonino and Anna Abate, in Palermo 27 Oct 1865.

They had the following children, all born in Palermo:

- Francesco Paolo 20 Jun 1866
- Francesco Paolo 29 Mar 1869
- Anna 11 Oct 1870
- Filippo 29 Jun 1872
- Francesco Paolo 2 Nov 1874
- Antonino 9 Apr 1877
- Andrea 15 Apr 1880
- Giuseppe 18 Feb 1883
- Gioacchino 3 Dec 1886
- Vincenzo 11 Jun 1889
- Anna 24 Dec 1891

The above data are in the births' indexes of Palermo and are not available online. For further informations or if you want a complete family tree, please write me privately.
That looks pretty close to approx. year of birth (1892) on the manifest I posted above! :-D
AND -
Marcello's posted list includes brothers - Giuseppe and Gioacchino :-)

T.
jfvitalia

Post by jfvitalia »

Thank you all for all of your help - that's nothing short of miraculous! My cousin will be very excited.

Thank you Marcello - that answers some of the mystery surrounding her - I've really never seen so many certificates without any birthdays!

And thank you Tessa - turns out you were indeed right on the manifest! The age turns out to be, on further inspection of the marriage certificate, 25 not 22 (the digits look so close you really can't tell).

-John
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

jfvitalia wrote:Thank you all for all of your help - that's nothing short of miraculous! My cousin will be very excited.

Thank you Marcello - that answers some of the mystery surrounding her - I've really never seen so many certificates without any birthdays!

And thank you Tessa - turns out you were indeed right on the manifest! The age turns out to be, on further inspection of the marriage certificate, 25 not 22 (the digits look so close you really can't tell).

-John
You are welcome... :-)
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello John :-D

Glad the manifest was the correct one!

As for her marriage certificate... are you talking about a marriage to Filippo Tortorici in Manhattan?
Do not know if you have a church certificate or a NYC Certificate, but here is the certificate number for NYC Vitals if you need to request that...

Tortorici Filippo Jun 3 1917 #17111 Manhattan
Giustiniani Anna Jun 3 1917 #17111 Manhattan

To request from NYC Vital Records
http://www.nyc.gov/dorforms/marriagecert.jsp

T.