Birth certificate help-no reply to requests

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
christinalynn

Birth certificate help-no reply to requests

Post by christinalynn »

Hello!

I've written twice, in Italian, to the civil office in Trivigno, Potenza, to request birth certificates I am 100% sure they have, and have not received a reply. I first sent my request in July, and then again in September. Each time I included the specific birth certificate details, including which lines they are in the register; a copy of my US passport, and an international reply coupon. I've included the names, birth dates, maiden names, and parent's names of my ancestors. I've also sent the request via fax. Anyone have suggestions on how I can go about getting the two certificates I need?

I sent my letters to the following address:
Alla cortese attenzione dell’Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Plebiscito 1
85018 TRIVIGNO (PZ)
Italy

Fax +39 0971 981036

Many thanks for any suggestions you can offer!!
toasty

Re: Birth certificate help-no reply to requests

Post by toasty »

I would give them a call (or having someone call for you), that's the only way I managed to get any documents from Italy.
christinalynn

Post by christinalynn »

Thanks! Any idea how I can find the phone number? I have the fax but not the regular line.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

First let me ask why you need certificates from the town? If its for citizenship purposes you need to state that and ask for 'modello plurilngue'.
If you are asking for photocopies of the original it may depend on the year. Since you know which line they are in the register I assume you have microfilm copies but now want the originals. Maybe the town doesn't have them. Earthquakes, fire, flood, mudslides are happening even today and just because the State Archives have a second copy doesn't mean the town copy still exists. Of course, the clerks could be just too busy and are ignoring you!
You can find the phone number by google search for Comune di Trivigno.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.