Marriage in Cianciana

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Marriage in Cianciana

Post by mcvega »

I am trying to find out when my grandparents were married. They were married in Cianciana, Sicily. It was either 1910 or 1911. The names are Francesco Castellano and Vincenza Taglialavore.
Thank You
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Marriage in Cianciana

Post by erudita74 »

mcvega wrote:I am trying to find out when my grandparents were married. They were married in Cianciana, Sicily. It was either 1910 or 1911. The names are Francesco Castellano and Vincenza Taglialavore.
Thank You

There are some online records for your town at this link

https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043548

Unfortunately, the online marriage records only go to 1910 and your ancestor's record is not there. You will have to contact the town to get the information.

Ufficio Anagrafe
Comune di Cianciana
Via Papa Giovanni XXIII, 9
92012 CIANCIANA (AG)
Italia

E-mail: comunedicianciana@virgilio.it
Telefoni: 0922.987153
Fax: 0922.987236

to help with letters in Italian:

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/genealo ... -index.asp

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi there

This is what is available for Cianciana, Agrigento online at Family Search:

Allegati (matrimoni) 1901-1902
Cittadinanze 1866-1910 Morti 1862-1904
Morti 1905-1910
Nati 1862-1886
Nati 1887-1909
Nati 1910 Pubblicazioni 1866-1902
Pubblicazioni 1904-1910 Matrimoni 1862-1910 Diversi 1862-1865 Memorandum 1862-1865

https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043548

I did have a look through the Marriage Banns for 1909 and 1910 but couldn't see anything there. The names Taglialavore and Castellano do appear but not the ones you mention here.

I'm guessing Francesco and Vincenza were married 1911 and unfortunately those records are not on line. Here are the indices for 1909 and 1910 for you to look at.

1909 Index: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349479901

1910 Index: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349479901

I guess you would possibly have to borrow the following film from a Family History Library:

Nati 1923-1929 -- Pubblicazioni 1911-1929 -- Matrimoni 1911-1923
Family History Library
International B1 Access Services

Good luck with your search.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Erudita: We must have both hit the submit button at the same time because the first time I hit "submit" my post disappeared. My understanding is there are films available from the Family History Library for 1911-1923 so would your advice still be to contact the commune. I'll leave it with you and your expertise in these matters. I noticed as I was going through the banns that for some years there were allegati following the respective years so that is worth noting for future reference for anyone reading this site.

Kind regards, Angela
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

Thank You I will check the Family History Library.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mcvega wrote:Thank You I will check the Family History Library.
You are very welcome. You will probably have to order them first and then once they arrive you usually need to book in a time to use one of the library's film readers.

I've just been reading through this related thread: http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/l ... 6#p201766t

and I'm not sure I understand. From reading this previous thread, it sounds like you may have already located Francesco and Vincenza's 1911 marriage record when you visited Cianciana? Is that right or have I misinterpreted what you said?

Angela :)
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

"Re: Cianciana, Agrigento, Sicily

Postby mcvega » Today, 01:04

Yes, you are right. When everything is in Italian I cannot read it. Thank You for showing me that. I will now write it down. I was hoping to get a date. I am pretty sure it is in June. I have learned a lesson, I shouldn't get so excited and not write down the translation, for some reason I think I will remember it and obviously I don't.
Thanks for your help"
Copied from the following thread as I think it was intended for here:
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/l ... 6#p201766t

No probs, easily done, and you are very welcome. I am glad you have the marriage record. Are you able to scan it and post it here and then we could take a look at it and interpret the date for you and also interpret anything else you might be unsure of.

Angela
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

I have been working on this for awhile, let me know if it works
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Well done. It is dated 30 September 1911 at 10.15. It was the date you were enquiring about wasn't it?

I'm going to download it to my computer and have a closer look at it and then will come back to the forum. Is there anything else specific you want translated from it.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Dated 30 September 1911 at 10.15 a.m.
Francesco Castellano, Single, aged 20, Villico born and residing Cianciana son of Giuseppe Castellano and Giuseppa Cicero both residing in Cianciana.

Vincenza Taglialavore, unmarried woman (Nubile), aged (possibly 15 – little hard to decipher the writing – 16 or under anyways), there is another word after this which I can't decipher. Her occupation was Casalinga. She was born and residing in Cianciana and the daughter of the late Giovanni and of Rosa Cicero.

Interesting, if I am reading correctly both mothers had the surname Cicero – cousins maybe?

This is all I can read for the moment. It seems to go out of focus for me when I try and enlarge it. So fantastic you have this. :D Hopefully you will find more when you go to Sicily.

Angela
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

I think Rosa and Giuseppa were sisters but I am not sure. My grandparents always said they were cousins and use to play together when they were very young. Does it give a residence at all? This is my second trip to Cianciana and now I have the address where Francesco was born. I am hoping the people who live there still remembers the family and maybe they still live in Cianciana.

Thank you so much. I am immediately writing this on the certificate and putting it on my tree.
Thank You
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:Dated 30 September 1911 at 10.15 a.m.
Francesco Castellano, Single, aged 20, Villico born and residing Cianciana son of Giuseppe Castellano and Giuseppa Cicero both residing in Cianciana.

Vincenza Taglialavore, unmarried woman (Nubile), aged 15, compiuto. Her occupation states Casalinga - so no profession and undertaking home duties. She was born and residing in Cianciana and the daughter of the late Giovanni and of Rosa Cicero.

Interesting, if I am reading correctly both mothers had the surname Cicero – cousins maybe?

This is all I can read for the moment. It seems to go out of focus for me when I try and enlarge it. So fantastic you have this. :D Hopefully you will find more when you go to Sicily.

Angela
Have just figured out the word I couldn't decipher so have edited my post here.
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

ok so what does "compiuto" mean?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mcvega wrote:I think Rosa and Giuseppa were sisters but I am not sure. My grandparents always said they were cousins and use to play together when they were very young. Does it give a residence at all? This is my second trip to Cianciana and now I have the address where Francesco was born. I am hoping the people who live there still remembers the family and maybe they still live in Cianciana.

Thank you so much. I am immediately writing this on the certificate and putting it on my tree.
Thank You
Fantastic and you are most welcome.

No it doesn't give an address unfortunately.

Re the word "compiuto" I think that it means that she had reached 15. (I need to read more about this.)

The lower part of the document before the signatures usually talks about when the marriage banns took place. I can see reference is possibly also being made to the fact that the bride's father had died. Maybe if I come back to it later with fresher eyes I'll be able to decipher a little more.

Angela
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

Yes her father died when she was 12. She had a step father.