Pre-1866 records from Torino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Pre-1866 records from Torino

Post by jkingb »

I have been working on a tree for some time now - ordering microfilms from the LDS church, locations include Gassino, Castiglione Torinese, and Bardassano. The microfilms for all these regions start with the year 1866 - nothing earlier. I am curious whether I might be able to obtain earlier records (1830. for example) by writing to the comunes directly -or would I have to contact the archives for records from this period?

I should add that I am aware of the 1803 - 1812 records available online at antenati, and I have found everything I need from that era. I am only missing the records in between (1813- 1866).

Thanks for any advice!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Pre-1866 records from Torino

Post by adelfio »

You will have to go to the church films of Family History Library Registri ecclesiastici della Diocesi di Torino (Torino), 1823-1899 here is the towns
Baptisms, marriages, deaths from Catholic Churches in the Archives of the Diocese of Torino, Italy. The towns are organized alphabetically (for the most part) for each year--some towns may be out of order or missing for any given year. The towns included are: Torino; Grugliasco; Airali; Airasca; Ala (di Stura); Alpignano; Andezeno; Aramengo; Arignano; Avigliana; Avuglione (frazione of Marentino); Balangero; Baldissero (Torinese); Balme; Banna; Barbania; Bardassano; Beinasco; Bersano; Bonzo; Borgaro (Torinese); Bra; Brandizzo; Brione (frazione of Val della Torre); Bruino; Busano; Bussolino (frazione of Gassino Torinese); Buttigliera preso Chieri (Buttigliera d'Asti); Buttigliera Uriola (Buttigliera Alta); Caccia; Cafasse; Camagna (frazione of Rivara); Cambiano; Candiolo; Canischio; Cantoira; Caramagna (Piemonte); Carignano; Carmagnola (frazione of Carmagnola included are Salsasio; San Giovanni; San Michele e Grato; San Beschardo); Casalborgone; Casalgrasso; Casanova; Caselle (Torinese); Casalette; Castelnuovo d'Asti (Castelnuovo Don Bosco); Cavallerleone; Cavallermaggiore; Cavorette (Cavoretto, frazione of Torino); Cavour; Castiglione (Torinese); Castagnetto (Po); Castagnole (Piemonte); Cercenasco; Ceres; Chialamberto; Chiaves (frazione of Monastero di Lanzo); Chieri; Cinzano; Ciriè; Coazze; Forno (frazione of Coazze); Coazzolo; Collegno; Colle di San Giovanni; Cordova (frazione of Castiglione Torinese); Corio; Cuorgnè; Cumiana; Costo (frazione of Cumiana); Motta (frazione of Cumiana); Pieve (frazione of Cumiana); Druent (Druento); Faule; Favria; Fiano; Forno di Groscavallo (Forno Alpi Graie); Forno di Rivara (Forno Canavese); Front; Garzigliana; Gassino (Torinese); Germagnano; Giaveno; Gisola (frazione of Pessinetto); Grangie di Nole (Grangie, frazione of Nole); Givoletto; Groscavallo; Grosso; Loggia (La Loggia); Lanzo (Torinese); Lavriano; Lemie; Levone; Leyni (Leini); Lombriasco; Marene; Marentino; Marmorito (frazione of Passerano-Marmorito).

(List of towns continued) Mati (Mathi); Mezzenile; Mombello (di Torino); Monastero; Monastero di Lanzo; Monasterolo di Savigliano; Moncalieri; Moncucco (Torinese); Mondrone (frazione of Ala di Stura); Montaldo (Torinese); Murello; Nole; None; Oglianico; Oliva; Orbassano; Osasio; Pancalieri; Passerano (frazione di Passerano-Marmorito); Pavarolo; Peccetto (Pecetto Torinese); Pertusio; Pessinetto; Pianezza; Piazzo (frazione of Lauriano); Pino Torinese; Piobesi (Torinese); Piossasco; Piscina; Poirino; Polonghera; Prascorsano; Pratiglione; Primeglio (frazione of Passerano-Marmorito); Racconigi; Reano; Revigliasco (frazione of Moncalieri); Rivalba; Rivalta (di Torino); Rivara; Riva presso Chieri; Rivarossa; Rivoli; Robassomero; Rocca di Corio (Rocca Canavese); Salasssa; San Colombano (Belmonte); Sant'Egidio; Sanfrè; Sangano; San Morizio (San Maurizio Canavese); San Rafaele (San Raffaele-Cimena); San Salvatore; Savigliano; San Sebastiano (da Po); Santena; Scalenghe; Schierano (frazione of Passerano-Marmorito); Sciolze; Settimo Torinese; Sommariva del Bosco; Stupinigi (frazione of Nichelino); Ternavasio (Ternavasso, frazione of Poirino); Torre Valgorera (frazione of Poirino); Trana; Traves; Truffarello (Trofarello); Valgioia (Valgioie); Val della Torre; Vallo (Torinese); Valperga; Varisella; Vauda Superiore di Front (Vauda Canavese Superiore, frazione of Vauda Canavese); Vauda Inferiore di Front (Vauda Canavese Inferiore, frazione of Vauda Canavese); Vauda di San Morizio; Venaria Reale (Venaria); Vergnano; Vernone (frazione of Marentino); Vigone; Villafranca Piemonte; Vallanova di Mati (Villanova Canavese); Villar di Basse (Villarbasse); Villastellone; Vinovo; Virle (Piemonte); Viù; Volpiano; Volvera; Usseglio. Text in Latin or Italian.

PG LINK TO RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Marty,

I don't know how to thank you for this information! I had no idea these records were available. I was looking under Gassino and Castiglione -it didn't occur to me to try the more general "Torino"..
Have you (or anyone else) had experience with church records? Are the books generally as easy to navigate as those with civil records? And were all residents recorded in church books - or just some? I realize there must be a big difference from civil records.. I already ordered several films, but am still curious.

Thank you again!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Most of the church records are in latin which gives you a whole new world for translating records
Heres some links to help
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... _Word_List

http://www.genproxy.co.uk/latin.htm

http://catholicgene.wordpress.com/2011/ ... c-records/

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Thanks Marty,

I'm already familiar with Latin records from other parts of Europe - once you get to the 16/1700s, Latin records are pretty universal. So I don't expect problems in that regard. Actually, it was the Italian that caused problems for me!

So long as these records are similar to church records from other parts of Europe, this tree will be in great shape.. Thank you again for bringing these to my attention! I never would have found them.