Nicknames for Pasquale?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Nicknames for Pasquale?

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Hello,
I am trying to sort out some Pellegrini cousins using census data. In Angelo Pellegrini's family in the 1920 census I have an oldest son named Patsy born 1900/1901. But then in the same family in the 1930 census, I have an oldest son named Camille born 1900/1901.

Here is my question. Are Patsy and Camille both nicknames used for the name Pasquale?

Thank you.
Donna Pellegrin
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Nicknames for Pasquale?

Post by ptimber »

No Patsy=Pasquale (nformal translation) and Camille=Camillo (proper name). Peter
JanetPK

Post by JanetPK »

ptimber wrote:No Patsy=Pasquale (nformal translation) and Camille=Camillo (proper name). Peter
Pasquale is basically Patrick in english or Pat I know this because my fathers name was Pasquale but he went by Pat the only time he used Pasquale was for important papers or his drivers license, but everyone knew him as Pat the only one who would also call him Pasco which is also short for Pasquale, in italian was my grandmother...... JanetPk
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Please: Pasquale is basically PATSY sure... Patrizio is Patrick.. both Pat...regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Rosiedelia

Post by Rosiedelia »

Try Lino as well especially if they are using nicknames and not full names.

Pasquale is Patrick in English but in Italy an abbreviation for Pasquale is always Lino.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Rosiedelia wrote:Try Lino as well especially if they are using nicknames and not full names.

Pasquale is Patrick in English but in Italy an abbreviation for Pasquale is always Lino.
Hi there,

Even though this is an old post, I also want to respond.

For Pasquale, try looking for Charles. I know many people whose name was Pasquale and they turned it into Charles.

The same goes for Vincenzo. Try looking for Vincent, Vince, and James.

And I do know that James could also go for Giacomo.

Here is a great link to help with names and translations.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Poin ... ename.html

Hope this helps.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
pascalena

Post by pascalena »

Trish is right, my grandfathers name was Pasquale and he went by Charles after he arrived in America but was listed as Pasquale at Ellis Island. I had the opposite problem, I was looking for Charles in the Ellis Island records until I remembered my mother telling me that my grandfathers name was Pasquale.
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

Pasquale is my grandfathers name as is many uncles and cousins, who, are generally named after someone in the family. Pasquale is Patsy, Patty, Pasqua, Pasqual, Pasqualino, and Patrick in English. However, to address your census reports, there are several possible explanations for the discrepancy between Patsy and Camille. 1: the census taker simply made a mistake. 2. Patsy got married young and was not on the 1930 census, (however leaves one to wonder why Camille was not on the 1920 census). 3. The wrong Pellegrini was researched at one or the other census, resulting in the mixup. 4. Patsys name was legally or otherwise changed to Camille, sometime between 1920 and 1930. Many times, census takers have been wrong about a name, but most often it is due to "similiarities" such as Robert/Roberto/Bob, or Pasquale/Patsy/Pat. In your case there is no similiarity in the name, which leads me to believe in the possible name change. I suppose there are other explanations.
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Wow, this thread is so old I didn't even recognize it as mine. Thanks for the privte message, italy50.

I have been so busy writing the family history for my mother's family that I haven't had much time to properly research my father's family (Pellegrini). Oddly enough, I keep accidently tripping into information on them. Funny how that works. Anyway...

There were several Pellegrinis who came from Atessa (Abruzzi) to West Virginia. I have all of their ship manifests, all of their census records and all of their obituaries and a few of their vital records. The names of these gentlemen were Filippo (my great-grandfather), Giovanni, Arcangelo and Rafaele. Some of the evidence points to them being brothers (comments on ship manifests.) Some of the evidence would indicate that they are not brothers (obituaries and death records). One researcher on the internet has them all listed as sons of Pasquale Pellegrini. That is why the naming pattern of their sons became an issue. I was looking for a clue. Filippo named his first son Patsy, so that fits. But as I indicated earlier, Arcangelo Pellegrini,in 1920, reports an oldest son named Patsy born 1900/1901. But then in the 1930 census, reports an oldest son named Camille born 1900/1901. I have seen the death record for Raffaele Pellegrini and his father is listed as Camillo.

I am expecting anyday a letter from Atessa with the marriage record for my great-grandfather, Filippo. It won't give me his brothers, but at least it will list his father's name. There is no microfilm for Atessa after 1865, so it looks like I will have to do all of the research by mail. Stay tuned.

And thanks to everybody for their input!
Donna Pellegrin
alstonamos

Post by alstonamos »

There is no microfilm for Atessa after 1865, so it looks like I will have to do all of the research by mail. Stay tuned.?????
waleeed
Rosweii200

Post by Rosweii200 »

Pasquale was my grandfather’s name. It is the name Pascale in English. Both names mean easter. Everyone called my grandfather pat.