Difficulty getting birth certificates

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Petrarca
Rookie
Rookie

Difficulty getting birth certificates

Post by Petrarca »

Hi, can anyone help me get my great-grandparents birth certificates (official copies)? I have written several times to the town in which they were born over the past year, but have received no response at all! My letters were in Italian!

I know there are organizations which can get these records, but the only one I could find charged 90 Euros for each certificate....that's way too high!

My great-grandparents were:

Sabatino D'Agostino who was born on 8 February 1884 in the town of Cagnano Amiterno in Abruzzi.

My great-grandmother, Loretta Di Piero who was born on 26 July 1886 in Cagnano Amiterno.

Thanks...

Ron Petrarca
999 Toll Gate Rd
Warwick, RI 02886
USA

vikinggrabb@msn.com
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Difficulty getting birth certificates

Post by wldspirit »

I to experienced great difficulty in obtaining my Nonni and Nonno's
birth acts, despite repeated request. I finally had suanj obtain them for me......her website is listed on her postings.
wldspirit
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Family History Film does exist... film can be ordered for under $5, but you would have to look for it yourself (birth record) at a Family History Center in your area.

Does it have to be an "Official" copy?

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

mfjp
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Petrarca wrote:Hi, can anyone help me get my great-grandparents birth certificates (official copies)? I have written several times to the town in which they were born over the past year, but have received no response at all! My letters were in Italian!

I know there are organizations which can get these records, but the only one I could find charged 90 Euros for each certificate....that's way too high!

My great-grandparents were:

Sabatino D'Agostino who was born on 8 February 1884 in the town of Cagnano Amiterno in Abruzzi.

My great-grandmother, Loretta Di Piero who was born on 26 July 1886 in Cagnano Amiterno.

Thanks...

vikinggrabb@msn.com
Hi Ron,

Before you hire a genealogist, I would try to find the documents yourself. There is microfilm you can order and rent from the Family History Center for about $3.50 a roll depending on your location.

Here is the microfilm numbers for the town you are looking for.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

Here is the the link to find the nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

I'm sure there is one not far from where you live.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

for those who wish to order birth, death, or marriage certificates in Italy, here is one source that is very good:

http://www.myitaliancitizenship.com/indexnew.jsp

Their fees are about $25-30 for each document. They also do translations at about $30 each.

Birth records from Italy are generally "stamped" by the "comune" (after 1865). there is no such thing as a "certified copy" of a birth certificate from italy, as they do not issue birth certificates.

Italy issues "Estratto di Nascita" or extracted information of the birth record.

birth records "before" 1865 are not in the comune of birth, but in the provincial archives. they are generally foto copies of the birth record, which may also consist of the baptismal information on the reverse side, as well as the "sindaco", the priests name, and witnesses to the birth
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Again,

It's not necessary to pay anyone to do research if the records are available through the Family History Centers. The most it will cost you is $3.50 for each roll of film and about 35cents to 50 cents for copies.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

If I am not mistaken, this poster is pursuing dual citizenship thru the Boston consulate..........

"can anyone help me get my great-grandparents birth certificates (official copies)? "

wldspirit
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Again,

It's even better to get the documents from the microfilm so that when you write to Italy for the original record, you have all the correct information. You'll have the exact date, the Order of Number, the parents names and you can even send them a copy of the microfilmed document.

The easier you make their job in Italy, the faster you might get a response back.

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

The poster Petrarca has already written to Italy on numerous occasions attempting to get a birth record, and even wrote in Italian. Obviously, Petrarca has the necessary information as is indicated in his post. The microfilm will only serve to give him the information he already has, unless of course the information he submitted to Italy is completely wrong or insufficient.

A word of caution when ordering birth records from Italy "on your own". It is "customary" to offer a few dollars $4-5 for an Estratto di Nascita". While it is generally "free" for them to give you copies of a birth record, many small comunes "expect" you to offer something. Again it is free, but many people have had greater success when they offered something, while others have waited a very long time like 6 months or more, or never received it. Although i have not experienced this myself, i have known two people that have. For the most part, the comunes are glad to furnish you with copies of records "free of charge", but sometimes misplace or lose the requests
Petrarca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Petrarca »

Yes, I need the certificate from the commune itself in order to obtain citizenship!! Microfilm copies really won't do me any good, but thanks for the suggestion.
Petrarca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Petrarca »

www.myitaliancitizensh charges $42 for a certificate....bit pricy...
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

petrarca, you said that you could only find a source for certificates which charged $90.

I furnished you with My Italian Citizenship.com because it was less than half of what you quoted, and thought it was a much better cost.

However, there may yet be another source which is cheaper, but I only know of this one. I hope you find what you need
Petrarca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Petrarca »

Oh, thank you very much! Didn't mean to sound unappreciative at all! It's just that I have limited funds, and I was looking for the
lowest-cost option!!!!
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

Petrarca, I can understand being low on funds and wanting to have the lowest cost possible. Since you have tryed to contact the 'Stato Civile' office several times with no results, perhaps you will consider contacting the Sindaco of the comune

Here is an email address for you which has no cost involved:

peppecarosi@tiscali.it The sindaco is Giuseppe Carosi.

Hopefully, this is the correct email address for the comune. I would give him the information about your great grandfather, and request that he obtain the birth record for you.
Petrarca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Petrarca »

I've done that already...several months ago. He never sent me a reply....