Pappaianni family from Altomonte

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bnbnm

Pappaianni family from Altomonte

Post by bnbnm »

I began researching my Italian ancestors last June. I have no immediate family members still living so sometimes this is truly a "needle in a haystack" search. I am planning a trip to Italy this fall to further research my family, hoping to find additional records and trace further back. Having checked the entire available online Registry Records of births/marriages/deaths from 1866-1910, I found that my family were the only Pappaiannis born in Altomonte during this time. Obviously my GGGPs came from somewhere! Could any members offer suggestions of where to go or who to contact to access records for this area? I would like to do as much preliminary work as possible so time isn't wasted trying to find out where the records are kept once I get there. Altomonte is in the province of Cosenza, in the Calabria region. Other family names include Zuccarelli, Rossignuolo, and Ferraro.

I have a friend who speaks/writes Italian and can help me with inquiry letters but I've no idea where to begin. I also have my cousin going with me who is a travel agent and speaks Italian and can hopefully get us around :-) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
B. Pappaianni
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Pappaianni family from Altomonte

Post by suanj »

Hi, most probably the surname Pappaianni is the mispelled version of original and right Papaianni surname...
I found in Cosenza archive just a Pappaianni:
Codice SIAS IT-ASCS-F680258
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Liste di Leva della classe 1874.Registro numero 123,
atto numero 100 di pagina 304 sezione a
Carmine Pappaianni, contadino iscritto il --/--/----
nato il 10/08/1874 a ALTOMONTE
da Giovanni Pappaianni e da Maria Zuccarelli
(Carmine Pappaianni born in Altomonte on 10 aug 1874 son of Giovanni Pappaianni and Maria Zuccarelli)
If Carmine is your ancestor,here the birth act:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349611402
Giovanni was 20 old ( so born abt in 1854) and his father was Salvatore; on the child Birth act it is wrote that Giovanni Pappaianni was domiciled and resident in Altomonte.. maybe no born...

in effects, back to Cosenza Archive, the Giovanni Pappaianni was born in Torano on 17 dec 1854, son of Salvatore Pappaianni and Carletta Giorno (..? or Piorno):

Codice SIAS IT-ASCS-F680258
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Liste di Leva della classe 1854.Registro numero 32,
atto numero - di pagina 132 sezione -
Giovanni Pappaianni, iscritto il --/--/----
nato il 17/12/1854 a TORANO
da Salvatore Pappaianni e da Carletta Giorno

here Giovanni Pappaianni and Maria Zuccarelli 1873 marriage ban:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349611402
Giovanni and parents was resident in Altomonte, but we know that he was born in Torano.. so you can continue your search in Torano...
hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
bnbnm

Post by bnbnm »

Thank you so very much for your response. Yes, those are the Pappaianni's that I am related to. I was kindly given the link to those same records last year and it was in those birth records that I found all the brothers and sisters that I didn't know my grandfather had! I had not had an opportunity to research the marriage records yet so thank you very much for sending the link for the marriage banns. The only Pappaianni's I found in all the Altomonte birth records covering 1866-1910 were my grandfather and his brothers & sisters and they were all spelled with 2 "p"s. I am lucky enough to have a number of original documents from both my grandfather (Pappaianni) and grandmother (Rossignuolo) that can validate some of the information I've been able to find.

I had also previously been given the link to ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI COSENZA where I found the information about Carmine that you referred to and it was also where I found that Giovanni came from Torano. Unfortunately I am unable to view any of the images on that site and although the information is helpful, being unable to view the images is frustrating.

Do you know if similar birth records are available online for Torano as they are for Altomonte? I very much want to be able to track the family back from Giovanni. If not, are these old documents kept in the villages themselves or does one have to travel to the seat of the province or region to find them? I have found many reference links but cannot get to any actual documents. I plan to visit a local Family Search History Center and see if I can access some of the old documents there. I have seen a reference to something called "certificate of the Original Status of the Family" and it is supposed to be available from the General Registry Office in Altomonte. Do you know if this is actually a document that I might be able to find? If you have any suggestions of where in Calabria I should plan to visit specifically for genealogy research purposes, I would be most grateful for that information.

Thank you again for your help!
B. Pappaianni
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, no all images on Cosenza website are availables ....

abt Torano Castello civil records, they are no availables on line, just you can order the microfilm in LSD center ...
Registri dello stato civile di Torano Castello (Cosenza), 1809-1910

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

finding Giovanni birth act, by Salvatore age in 1854 you can have a idea of possible birth year..

it could be very helpful also to find the marriage of Salvatore Pappaianni and Carletta Giorno, because it could be possible that Salvatore married in Torano Castello, but maybe born in other Commune... they must be married aroundf 1850/3 or just before of 1850..

if you will find Salvatore marriage act, you can search also in the same microfilm the his "Processetto marriage" where you can find the groom and bride birth certificates issued for marriage, as a well death certificates of groom and bride parents, (if already decesead at marriage time) and ditto for grandparents... and many details...

abt the search in Italy, my advice is that the main part of search must be made by LSD microfilms, step by step.. so after that you searched in Torano Castello microfilms, all records availables, if you in this your search, you will find that Salvatore was born in other commune and just married in Torano, you can order the civil records of birth commune.. however you cannot go back before of 1809 because the civil records starting from 1809, but collecting all names of your family and all infos, by the "Processetti" you can find many infos and to go back in 1700s...

In Italy you will find the same records that you find in LSD microfilms...
When you have all possible and availables data by LSD microfilms .. and you wish to know more, you can contact a genealogist in the area if can help you for Church records....

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
bnbnm

Post by bnbnm »

THANK YOU!!! I only hope someday I can help others as you have helped me.
B. Pappaianni
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

:D
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
bnbnm

Post by bnbnm »

suanj: (Sorry, I don't know your name)
Your website link doesn't work for me. Do you have a different one?
B. Pappaianni
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ops sorry .. I update the new link in my signature, however is:
http://matera.voila.net/

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH