Documents from Ragusa & "stato di famiglia" vs. extracts

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
typeogirl
Rookie
Rookie

Documents from Ragusa & "stato di famiglia" vs. extracts

Post by typeogirl »

I want to write to Ragusa to ask for birth and marriage certificates, or maybe a "stato di famiglia" instead. I just realized that Ragusa has multiple comunes. I have no idea which one to write to, since I all I know is that my family is from Ragusa, but I have no idea exactly where. Do I have to send a letter to each comune?

Or am I better off looking at the LDS microfiche first to find out where they are from? But then again, which comune do I start looking at?

Also, does anyone know if it's better to ask for extracts of each document, or should I request a "stato di famiglia". Is the stato di famiglia better with more information, or will I get less? I would like to ask for the documentation that will get me the most information.

Thank you so much for your help!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Documents from Ragusa & "stato di famiglia" vs. extracts

Post by Tessa78 »

typeogirl wrote:I want to write to Ragusa to ask for birth and marriage certificates, or maybe a "stato di famiglia" instead. I just realized that Ragusa has multiple comunes. I have no idea which one to write to, since I all I know is that my family is from Ragusa, but I have no idea exactly where. Do I have to send a letter to each comune?

Or am I better off looking at the LDS microfiche first to find out where they are from? But then again, which comune do I start looking at?

Also, does anyone know if it's better to ask for extracts of each document, or should I request a "stato di famiglia". Is the stato di famiglia better with more information, or will I get less? I would like to ask for the documentation that will get me the most information.

Thank you so much for your help!
Why not give us some details about your family so we can help you search to determine their exact place of birth?

Names, approx. years of birth, spouse name, children's names, immigration year if applicable, where settled?

T.
typeogirl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by typeogirl »

Thank you T.

My great-grandfather's name is Guiseppe Augello, from Ragusa Sicily. Born 11/11/1890. I have no idea of what his parent's names were.

My great-grandmother's name is Guiseppa Criscione from Ragusa. I found noted on a ship manifest that her mother's name was Marianna Iacono/Iacona, or a spelling similar.

I cannot find a ship's manifest for Guiseppe, but he was in the US before his wife; Guiseppa came to the US in 1922 with three children: Giovanni born in 1915, Nunziata born 1917 and Francesco born 1922 - but Francesco was so young when he came to the US, I am not sure if he was born right before they got on the ship, or he was born during the trip. I would love to determine where he was born exactly.

From Guiseppe's obituary, I found out that he had two sisters and two brothers. The one sister was named Sarina/Rosarina/Rosaria/Sarah (her name was spelled differently on different documents)-born about 1884 and she married a Giovanni Laboria - born about 1879- from Ragusa. They came to the US in 1912 and settled in the Bronx. The other sister is Carmela "Minnie" and she married a Giovanni Arena - born about 1877 - from Ragusa, and they settled in Cliffside Park, NJ. Carmela came to the US about 1911, and her husband came to the US in 1903 - though I cannot find that ship manifest. According to the obituary, there were two brothers who stayed in Sicily, a Salvatore and a John (Giovanni).

Guiseppa had a sister Francesca (Frances) Criscione who came to the US and settled in Brooklyn. I need more clarification on who she might have married, I think it was a Francesco Giardina from Ragusa, but I am not sure. So that needs research too.

So I would like to figure out the names of Guiseppe's parents, Guiseppa's parents, and anything else about them - grandparents, siblings, etc. And what might have happened to the two brothers who stayed in Sicily. Also more about the Laborias and Arenas and Giardinas.

But first, before I send away for documents, or even request microfiche from the LDS, I have to determine which comune they may have been from.

I have a thought/question, if you were from Santa Croce Camerina or Modica or Giarratana, would you say that's where you were from or would you say Ragusa - would you say Ragusa only if you were from the comune Ragusa proper?

I hope that's enough to get started!
typeogirl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by typeogirl »

bump
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I found a Manifest with a Giuseppe Augello from Ragusa, arriving 1920: http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0008
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

as a first step, you may write to the Ufficio Stato civile in Ragusa and ask for a copy of Giuseppe Augello's birth record.

servizi.demografici@comune.ragusa.gov.it

a form letter can be found here: http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etters.htm
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Family Search have several microfilms with Ragusa vital record https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library
You may visit a Family History Center near you...
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

liviomoreno wrote:I found a Manifest with a Giuseppe Augello from Ragusa, arriving 1920: http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0008

According to this shipmanifest the fathers name for this Giuseppe Augello was Giovanni Augello

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
typeogirl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by typeogirl »

Thanks Marty and Livio. Do I have to need to look at every comune in Ragusa?

Also, what gives me more information, the stato di famiglia or the extracts?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Start with Ragusa as a Comune.
Ask for birth/death/marriage extracts. They are usually free of charge. A Stato di Famiglia may be very expensive...
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

On the pg 2 of the shipmanifest line 8 it says Giuseppe Augello was born in town of Ragusa province Ragusa going to see his sister Carmela Augello in NY Im pretty sure this your Giuseppe try for his birth record first

PG LINK PG 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0008

email:servizi.demografici@comune.ragusa.gov.it (Livio responce)
Comune di Ragusa
Corso Italia 72
97100 Ragusa (RG)
Italy
OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita o l’estratto completo dell’atto di nascita di Giuseppe Augello di Giovanni

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Ragusa. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome : Giuseppe Augello
Nome e cognome del padre: Giovanni Augello
Luogo di nascita: Ragusa
Data di nascita: 1889-1891
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
typeogirl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by typeogirl »

Thank you again Livio and Marty. This definitely is my gr-grandfather. He was a cobbler, plus he was meeting his sister Carmela - and Carmela came to the US before he did.

I guess Salvatore must have left the US at some point, and decided to settle back in Sicily, since Giuseppe's obituary said his brothers were in Sicily.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

This is Carmela's manifest. She was traveling with her husband Vincenzo Giovanni Arena
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0012
typeogirl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by typeogirl »

Thanks Livio, that one I had found. I saw Giovanni was with her, I couldn't really read the first name, so now I know it's Vincenzo. I wonder if his first name is actually Vincenzo or Giovanni, because in the US he went by John. Does it say that his mother's name is Giuseppa?

I have not been able to find Giovanni Arena's first trip to the US, supposedly he came in 1903- and the manifest you just found for me does state that he is a non-immigrant alien so to me that means he was here before, he may have gone back to Sicily to bring back his wife.