Went to the Italian Consulate today, need some help

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mlphughes

Went to the Italian Consulate today, need some help

Post by mlphughes »

I was hoping someone could answer some questions regarding dual citizenship for me.

My mother was born in 1944 in the USA. Her father was born in Italy in 1918. He came to this country in 1920's. His father naturalized in 1927 when my grandfather was 9. Was my grandfather automatically naturalized under his father? Is there any chance my mom can claim dual citizenship?

It was my understanding that minor male children kept their citizenship, even if their father naturalized.

I was told today that I need to prove he was still an Italian citizen when my mother was born. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much.

Michele
jmb44
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Went to the Italian Consulate today, need some help

Post by jmb44 »

You might want to check out the Wikipedia entry on Italian Nationality law. Can't vouch for accuracy since it is Wikipedia but the article claims the the law says if father naturalizes their Italian born minor children can lose their right to citizenship - I assume because they have acquired the new citizenship of the father. Interestingly, if your grandfather had been born here he would not have been affected by the naturalization.

At some point in history the law allowed minor children to acquire derivative citizenship after their father naturalized. The law evolved over the years, so it might be worth investigating exactly what it was at that point. Might check the NARA website for information. You could also look at census records of 1930 and beyond to see if your grandfather was listed still listed as an alien after his father naturalized.

Good luck!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Went to the Italian Consulate today, need some help

Post by mler »

Unfortunately, that is correct. The minor child naturalized with his father.

Your mother can apply for Italian citizenship through naturalization, but she must reside in Italy for three years. This would apply to you as well.