Sciortino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
clynn1985

Sciortino

Post by clynn1985 »

Ive been searching on and off for a little over a year now on some information on my great great grandfather, Giovanni Sciortino. I have found some information from familysearch.org/ancestry.com but without paying the expensive subscription fee to the latter I can't see much. I do know that he immigrated to the US from Palermo in 1906 on the Nepolitan Prince with his wife Gaetana Lanza and son Salvatore. The ship manifest states that he resided in Corleone before leaving Sicily and they were headed to Chicago, IL to stay with his brother in law. Unfortunately I cannot make out this brother in laws last name but I can decipher his first name was Marcello. According to what records I can find, my gggrandfather was born 26 Oct 1875 (per his naturalization papers, but it doesn't seem to add up with his immigration age). He eventually settled down in Central Illinois around the Peoria, IL area. All this US information is great but im so confused as to why I cannot find ANY information on him or whom might possibly be his parents from BEFORE he left italy.. no birth record, no marriage record to Gaetana, not a single thing. I dont know if I am looking in all the wrong places or I am missing a huge clue somewhere, but ANY information on this portion of my family tree would be great! Thanks! :D
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Sciortino

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
Marriage record of Giovanni Sciortino and Gaetana Lanza
1902 Sept 28th in the town of Corleone church of San Martino marriage of Giovanni Sciortino son of Salvatore Sciortino and Salvatrice Pennino married to Gaetana Lanza daughter of Leolucca Lanza and Salvatrice Labbia
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
record-image (338).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Baptism of Salvatore Sciortino
INDEX#80
1904 Feb 15th in the town of Corleone church of San Martino baptism of Salvatore Sciortino son of Giovanni Sciortino and Gaetana Lanza godfather Carmelo Lanza
record-image (339).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

These records come from familysearch.org
Italy, Palermo, Diocesi d...Church Records, 1531-1998
Corleone San Martino

Baptism record of Giovanni Sciortino
PG #455
1875 Oct 27th in the town of Corleone church of San Martino baptism of Giovanni (Joannes) Sciortino son of Salvatore Sciortino and Salvatrice Pennino godparents Salvatore Bracco and Vincenza Rigoglioso
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE RIGHT SIDE 2 DOWN
record-image (340).jpg
Marty

Marty
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

adelfio wrote:Baptism of Salvatore Sciortino
INDEX#80
1904 Feb 15th in the town of Corleone church of San Martino baptism of Salvatore Sciortino son of Giovanni Sciortino and Gaetana Lanza godfather Carmelo Lanza
record-image (339).jpg
Marty
Salvatore was born Feb 12 1904
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Salvatore Sciortino and Salvatrice Pennino
PG 439
1861 Sept 22nd in the town of Corleone church of San Martino marriage of Salvatore Sciortino son of Giuseppe Sciortino and Lucia Trombadore married to Salvatrice Pennino daughter of deceased Leolucca Pennino and Giuseppa Cataldo
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE TOP RIGHT
record-image (341).jpg
Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Leolucca Lanza and Salvatrice Labbia
PG 614
1866 Nov 8th in the town of Corleone church of San Martino marriage of Leolucca Lanza son of deaceased Vincenzo Lanza and Salvatrice D'Anna married to Salvatrice Labbia daughter of Francesco Labbia and Gaetana Vitale
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE 2ND DOWN ON LEFT
record-image (342).jpg
Marty

Marty
clynn1985

Post by clynn1985 »

oh my goodness thank you so much, that has been so helpful! I dont know what ive been doing wrong but i could never find any records from before he left Sicily! I was beginning to think that he was part of the mafia and had all his records destroyed or something haha! :P I can't wait to tell my family what you have found and continue to search more! I have traced a lot of my family roots but the Sicilian limb on my tree is the one I've always been most interested in! Next step is to maybe find some relatives over there! :D
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

You are very welcome
Marriage of Giuseppe Sciortino and Lucia Trombadore/Trumbatore
PG 206
1829 Sept 27th in the town of Corleone church of San Martino marriage of Giuseppe Sciortino son of Antonio Sciortino and Maria Marino married to Lucia Trombatore/Trumbatore daughter of Simone Trombatore and Maria Giglia
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE TOP LEFT
record-image (343).jpg
Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Antonio Sciortino and Maria Marino
PG 184
1789 Nov 28th in the town of Corleone church of San Martino marriage of Antonio Sciortino son of deceased Giuseppe Sciortino and Antonia Lo Chiatto married to Maria Marino daughter of Francesco Marino and Giacoma ( Iacobus )Rizzutto
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE BOTTOM LEFT
record-image (345).jpg
Marty

Marty
clynn1985

Post by clynn1985 »

You have been most helpful!! I found where I can see these records on familysearch.org but most of them are hard for me to make out names, and unfortunately I dont understand Italian! :) Looking forward to finding out more about my Sicilian roots!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Giuseppe Sciortino and Antonia Lo Chiano (got a clearer view on this record)
PG#141
1763 April 24th in the town of Corleone church of San Martino marriage of Giuseppe Sciortino son of deceased Antonino Sciortino and Anna Maria Sciortino married to Antonia Lo Chiano daughter of Francesco Lo Chiano and Anna Birtone
CLICK FOR IMAGE BOTTOM LEFT SIDE
record-image (348).jpg
Marty

Marty
JoOrlando

Post by JoOrlando »

I am He, perhaps
JoOrlando

Post by JoOrlando »

Palermo(Camporeale) there was a man, who had 1 sister... this man married a woman that had 6 siblings. That man and woman married in Sicily then moved to Genoa where they birthed 3 sons. One didn't make it, leaving 2 1961. Of the la famiglia they were the last to leave Italy arrive a Chicago 1974. I am the youngest son of this man and womans oldest son. I am the son of Lorenzo Orlando who was born to Pietra Giametta & Calogero Orlando, brother to Anna Sciortino, mother of Vita Sciortino. I am Vito Marino's GodSon
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I've never seen anyone in Sicily spell Leoluca with 2 c's. It's a combination of Leo and Luca.