Name changed at arrival to USA - Chufo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Re: Name changed at arrival to USA - Chufo

Post by joetucciarone »

Hi Bob,

I've been doing more research on the Ciufo/Chufo families of Hubbard, Ohio. The 1910 census shows that Paul and Mary Chufo were operating a boarding house on North Main Street in Hubbard. Their son, Angelo, would later marry my great-aunt Lucille Madeline.

Joe
Bob_Chufo

Post by Bob_Chufo »

I keep getting E-mail's from the BB that I have a private message from SHANAC55 but when I try to read it this site says that I am not authorized to read private messages ?

Bob Chufo
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

You should be able to access your Private Messages now.
Bob_Chufo wrote:I keep getting E-mail's from the BB that I have a private message from SHANAC55 but when I try to read it this site says that I am not authorized to read private messages ?

Bob Chufo
Tandem fit surculus arbor
thrmin

Post by thrmin »

Hi Bob_Chufo -
My name is Mindy and my neice is Shana55, with whom I know you have chatted. Shana has done extensive research into this and her tenacity has finally paid off, I believe. We have worked together for many months trying to find links to our Chufo side of the family.

Your Uncle Anthony, your father's brother, is my husband's grandfather. I am married to his namesake, Daniel, who is Anthony's daughter Polly's, second son. We have some information but like you, have missing pieces and are trying to connect the missing pieces. I also have many photographs that lack names which I would love to match up with information. Shana and I both would like to connect with you by email if you are comfortable with that and would like to share the information.

Any information and/or photos you would like to share would be much appreciated. We both look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you.
mdthrash

Post by mdthrash »

My neice, Shana55 and I are still trying to connect with Bob Chufo from Youngstown, Ohio regarding our direct family connection. Please let one of us know if you are interested in making direct contact. Thank you.
choofz66

Post by choofz66 »

Hi Mindy & shana55!

My name is Beth Ann Chufo Nichols & also live in Pittsburgh. I am Robert (Bob) Chufo's eldest daughter & Frank Chufo's (Tony's brother) eldest grandchild. Frank has 4 grandchildren - my sister, Amy Lynne Chufo Prezelski, & my father Bob's younger brother Ronald (Ron)'s two 'kids' - Christine Frances & Gregory Ronald. Bob & Ron also have a younger sister, Judythe (Judy) Chufo Roth.

I inadvertently stumbled upon both this site &, furthermore, your posts, researching something completely different. What a pleasant surprise! I just notified my father that the two of you have been looking to reconnect & passed that info on to him today.

It's interesting to confirm that our ancestors came from Tufo, which my Aunt Judy had told us since I was a child. The actual spelling was a different story though. However, having studied the Italian language briefly in college, 'Ciufo" makes the most sense phonetically. While most pronounce our last name with a hard CH, as in 'chop' - We all were taught to pronounce the CH soft, as in 'show,' which led us to believe we had some French influence since the CH was pronounced like the French CH in words such as 'chapeau' (hat) or 'château.' I suspect that had something to do with my Polish grandmother's interpretation of it to make us sound 'more sophisticated' in her mind. LOL Bless her heart!

One question: Mindy - or even shana55 - Is your niece 'shana55' (or YOU, shanna55) Tony's great-granddaughter?

My Dad & his brother do have some old pictures & documents - I helped clean out my grandparents home in Youngstown. And my Aunt Judy has some interesting ancestral information that she used to tell us when we were growing up. Wasn't sure how 'true' they were though! We all continue to be a pretty close-knit family, considering this day & age. I would be interested in discovering more!

Hope we can reconnect.

Beth
choofz66

Post by choofz66 »

Also, you may pm me at choofz66@gmail.com - I just noticed that the last 2 posts before mine were from two different tags - are you the same Aunt of shana55 or two different ones? Apologies for addressing just Mindy & shana55, if a second aunt is involved.
Bushman39

Post by Bushman39 »

While I cannot, for the life of me, remember first names, there were 2 Chufo families on Wick Campbell Road in the Coalburg area of Hubbard Township. A person who is likely to have additional info would be Mary Ann Lark at Hubbardsoaringeagle@yahoo.com. Hope this helps.
Larry Bush
Larb69@aol.com
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

Hi Larry,

I've been collecting information on the Italians of Hubbard & Coalburg and I have this on the Ciufos there:

Antonio & Restelda Ciufo bought a plot of land in Coalburg, Ohio on September 19, 1904. It was in what was known as "Little Italy" in the 1870s & 1880s.

On September 4, 1913, Raymond Ciuffo (that's how it was spelled on his deed) bought a piece of Coalburg land from Andrea Baldino, also in the old "Little Italy" area.

In 1923, a Victor Ciufo applied for a passport; he stated his residence was Hubbard, Ohio from 1912 - 1923. He stated that he had lived in Utica, NY from 1902-1912. He also listed Lorenzo Ciufo as his father.

Paul & Mary Ciufo lived at 345 E. Liberty Street in Hubbard in 1942; this is from his WW2 draft card. And, Erasmo Ciufo live with his wife, Paulina, at 363 Caroline Avenue in Hubbard in 1942; this was from his draft card.

See you later,

Joe Tucciarone