Surname; Alvino & Fuccella / Fuccello

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TalesOfaLibrarian

Surname; Alvino & Fuccella / Fuccello

Post by TalesOfaLibrarian »

Hi!

I'm looking for information on the Alvino family in Italy and/or ways to go about researching Italian records without knowing much Italian.

Bella, Potenza has come up in most recent findings for family origin but I can't be sure if that's accurate. Family stories mention an Italian island the family lived or relatives of the family lived, but I don't recall if I ever got the name. Campania seems to be very popular as well online for Alvino, but I have found no connects yet..

The information I have is as follows:

My great great grandfather Dominick Alvino and his wife Angelina (maiden name unknown) were born in Italy. They had a son named Michael Alvino born in Italy 1877, died 4th July 1919 in Hasbrouck Heights, Bergen, New Jersey due to an auto accident. Newspaper article says he was living in Lodi, New Jersey at the time. Michael's wife was named Filomena (Philomena), maiden name Fuccella (Fucella or Fucello)- every place I find has a different spelling. She was born in Italy 15 March 1878, some information have said 1880 but the majority say 1878. She immigrated to New York in 1910. Died 7th Jan 1970 in Yonkers, Westchester, New York. Filomena was not a naturalized citizen until 1945 if I remember correctly.. I need to pull out the information. Weather Dominick and Angelina had more children besides Michael, I don't know.

Michael and Filomena had two children born in Italy; Dominick Alvino (b. 1898) and Lena Alvino (b. 1908). In the US, Filomena and Michael had six more children; four girls and twin boys between 1910-1917; Mary (b. 1910 d. 2004), Lucy (b. 1911), Rachael (b. 1913), Vitina (b. 1916), Peter and Anthony (b. 1917). Anthony died in 1998. A nephew named James Haroni or Faroni? (b. abt 1892) in Italy, immigrated in 1904, lived with them in New York. -What side of the family he is related to I don't know. Is it normal for a child around 10 year old to immigrant on his own back then? I have not found a passenger list with him yet.

When Michael died, his eldest son Dominick (b. 1898), supported the family and did so, well into his 30s from the information I have on him. He was a Chief Clerk at a Banking Concern in the Washington Heights NYC area.. 1940s census states he was working 44 hours a week, all 52 weeks in 1939. Their apartment is near what is now a Puerto Rican restaurant called La Potencia. Dominick was also listed as a naturalized citizen and widowed in 1940 but his wife's name is unknown. His sister Mary (b. 1910) went to college (in her second year in 1940) and had a family later on but I don't know any other information about them at this time. The twins, Peter and Anthony, were musicians. Anthony later on went into the military. I am a descendant of Anthony's and just this last year found Peter's descendants. They did not even know Anthony had a family and vise versa.. despite both sides living in the same city for generations, having child the same time- generation after generation- even working in the same career fields, etc. New nothing of each other! So weird. I have been in contact with someone who married into the family but they have limited information themselves.. though informed me, due to conflict said to originate from Filomena's side- the family broke and stopped speaking. Which is assisting in my current difficulties in finding information about them.

The one other story I have is.. my great grandmother- who I'm assuming they are referring to Filomena.. grew up in a village of many vineyards, squashing grapes so much in her youth her feet were stained by it.

I would love to know anything about anyone listed above or related to.. but especially where I come from in Italy.. if anyone can point me in the right direction. Would really appreciate any help. THANK YOU!

Sincerely,
Tales of a Librarian
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Surname; Alvino & Fuccella / Fuccello

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
Birth record of Michele Alvino
INDEX#127
1875 Aug 4th in the town of Bella birth of Michele Alvino son Domenico Alvino age 31 and Angiola Tarantino
EDITED
Sidenote says he married Filomena Fuccella daughter of Vito and deceased Filomena Paradiso Aug 16th 1897
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1,54008601

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marrriage publication of Michele Alvino and Filomena Fuccella
INDEX#16
1897 June 6th in the town of Bella Michele Alvino age 22 son Domenico Alvino age 53 and Angiola Tarantino to marry Filomena Fuccella age 19 born in San Chirico Nuovo daughter of Vito Fuccella and deceased Filomena Paradiso
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1,54991601

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Birth REcord of Filomena Fuccella in San Chirico Nuovo in 1878

Dated 19 March 1878
Born on 15 March 1878
Father: Vito Fuccella, 30, middleclass, born in San Chirico Nuovo
Mother: Filomena Paradiso (she appears to be deceased), his wife residing with him in this town.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,392432002

EDIT to add:

Death act of Filomena Paradiso - mother of Filomena Fuccella - appears to have died in childbirth
REcord #11
Dated 16 March 1878
Death on 15 March 1878
Age at death, 18 years.
Father: Donato Antonio Paradiso
Mother: Rosa Antonia Morelli

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,392231801
The one other story I have is.. my great grandmother- who I'm assuming they are referring to Filomena.. grew up in a village of many vineyards, squashing grapes so much in her youth her feet were stained by it.
Website of the town of San Chirico Nuovo -
http://www.comune.sanchiriconuovo.pz.it ... o/home.jsp

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Vito Fuccella and Filomena Paradiso
INDEX#8
1877 April 5th in the town of San Chirico Nuovo marriage of Vito Fuccella age 33 born in Bella resides in San Chirico Nuovo son of Vincenzo Fuccella and Rachella Ferrone married Filomena Paradiso age 18 born in San Chirico Nuovo daughter of Donato Antonio Paradiso and Rosa Antonia Morelli
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
31053_A512254-00005.jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Giuseppe Domenico Alvino and Angiola MariaTarantino
INDEX#17
1870 May 16th ?? in the town of Bella marriage of Giuseppe Domenico Alvino age 27 merchant son of Pietro Alvino and Maria Grieco married Angiola Maria Tarantino age 2o daughter of Michele Tarantino and Carmela Ferrone
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1,52434901

CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE
record-image (371).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Domenico Carmine Alvino (son of Michele Alvino and Filomena Fuccella)
INDEX#129
1898 Oct 19th in the town of Bella in a house in piazza Plebiscito birth of Domenico Carmine Alvino son of Michele Alvino age 24 property owner and Filomena Fuccella

PG LINK TO BIRTH RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1,54636701

Marty

Marty