Italian Census records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mikedangelo26

Italian Census records

Post by mikedangelo26 »

Does anyone on here no of a good Place to get Census Record for Italy?
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Italian Census records

Post by adelfio »

mikedangelo26 wrote:Does anyone on here no of a good Place to get Census Record for Italy?
PG LINK TO INFO
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Italy_Census

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

In other words, the Italian census is not a very good research tool as availability is extremely limited...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mikedangelo26

Post by mikedangelo26 »

I was Mainly looking at them in search of an address of My Great Grandfather farm in Casacanditella,
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

On your other post the 1889 in Casacanditella birth record of Giuseppe D'Angelo, son of Antonio D'Angelo and Serafina D'Angelo says he was born in a house on via San Marco# 141(nella casa del posta in via San Marco numero centoquarantuno)

Marty

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I haven't looked at the birth record, but just keep in mind that the address Marty cited is the place where the child was born and not necessarily the place where his parents lived. It would not have been unusual for a farmwoman to spend the last days or even weeks of her pregnancy at the home of a family member or midwife and, ultimately, give birth there.

So, if you are able to locate Via San Marco 141 and it doesn't look like it is or ever was a farmhouse, that may be the reason why.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mikedangelo26

Post by mikedangelo26 »

so how do you enter that address into a Map program and get it to work?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

It is not always easy; I had to try multiple ways before I found the street (but not specifically #141).

Click here https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Casacan ... 42.2820942

At the eastern end of the blue line is the main city of Casacanditella; at the western end is a short stretch of road, Via San Marco. If you zoom in (use the +/- buttons at the bottom right of the screen or your mouse wheel if you have one, then click and drag the map as necessary), you will see that the area is indeed all farmland.

Note: Via San Marco extends a roughly equal distance further west from the location of the pointer. Your address could lie anywhere along the total stretch of road which may be about 1-1/2 miles, though it is difficult to tell where the road might change names. It might even loop around at the far western end, I'm not certain.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

There are a number of D'Angelo listings in the current Italian telephone directory for Casacanditella; see http://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs= ... CH%29&l=en

If I were you and had $10 or $15 to spare, I would take the time to write a one or two page letter explaining who I am and what I am hoping to learn, have it professionally translated (DO NOT try to use an online translator!), and then mail it off to several of those D'Angelos - especially the one whose address is Contrada (means "district") San Marco. Include a few old photos for a bit of a personal touch, :)

For that matter, there are at least 9 Facebook members named D'Angelo living in Casacanditella including - Yikes! - the Mayor! Open Facebook and enter this phrase in the search box:
People named "d'angelo" who live in Casacanditella
Carmine

mikedangelo26

Post by mikedangelo26 »

Yes I have talked to many of the people from Facebooil already. Including the mayor he not from casacanditella. He actually got some info for me while back. Funny thing is I was looking at that road last night and there is a stenta on that road witch was the surname of my 3rd great grandma