New €300 application fee for jure sanguinis citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

New €300 application fee for jure sanguinis citizenship

Post by johnnyonthespot »

So I just read about this on another board - a soon to start €300, per person, fee for jure sanguinis applications. There will also be an increase in the cost of new passports but (thankfully) the elimination of the annual marca da bollo.

The new law is here: http://www.senato.it/japp/bgt/showdoc/f ... tto=785721

and the thread I mentioned is here: http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.or ... t6067.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: New €300 application fee for jure sanguinis citizenship

Post by johnnyonthespot »

And it is now official:

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jmb44
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jmb44 »

Sf consulate has announced fee on their website.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I would like to encourage All applicants to try to avoid obtaining inaccurate/misleading information from the myriad of "experts" on various Italian citizenship websites. Some of these posters may not even be Italian, have never lived in Italy and possibly have never even been to Italy. Be especially careful after you have received professional advice from consulate officials and are then told by the "experts" on websites that the consulates are wrong. When an applicant submits an application based on inaccurate/misleading information, this costs the consulates time and money, which is eventually passed on to Italian citizens and I don't think any of us would want to see the application fee increased. Always check with your consulate first, especially when regarding your eligibility as your consulate is your ultimate authority.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Actually, no, the consulate is not the ultimate authority. There are a few entities that could be regarded as having "ultimate" authority. One would be the legislature that writes the laws (or even the laws themselves), but they don't actually implement them. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which manages the consulates, does have the authority to establish how the laws are implemented and interpreted. They publish a guideline on citizenship here: http://www.esteri.it/MAE/IT/Italiani_ne ... tm?LANG=IT
(You can access an English translation on their site as well, and also see the actual legal documents that underlie their summary.)

Unfortunately, some people who work at Italian consulates are not adequately familiar with the laws and directives from the MFA and give inaccurate information. If one is persistent one can sometimes find a more knowledgeable person at the same consulate. This also sometimes creates an opportunity for "jurisdiction shopping," whereby you can take advantage of a mistake that a consulate makes in your favor.

The other entity that has "ultimate" authority is the courts, which also interpret laws. For example, if one claims citizenship based on descent from someone who was born to an Italian mother but not father before 1948, the MFA, and its consular network, will not accept such a claim, but the courts in Rome will. In this situation the courts prevail.