Sicily to Argentina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Sicily to Argentina

Post by gallohjc »

GGF Liborio Chiavone born 1864 in Mistretta, Messina. Moved to Gangi, Palermo in 1888. Thru Ellis Island in 1907. 2 of his daughters thru Ellis island 1909. After their marriages in Philadelphia, PA (Gaetana 1910 and Maria 1911) Liborio must have returned to Sicily but I don't know his port of departure. In October 1913 Liborio and his wife, Maria Santa Salerno, with their 4 other children (Liboria, Michele, Vincenzo and Antonino) traveled from Italy to Buenos Aires, Argentina on the ship BRASILE and settled in Rosario, Argentina. On Family Search I did find their daughter Liboria's marriage to Jose Sanfilippo in July 1914. Need help to check his return to Sicily - additional children born in Argentina and dates of death for Liborio and Maria. Suggestions for Argentina research?

Thanks for any help.

Helen Gallo
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Sicily to Argentina

Post by adelfio »

Helen is kinda strange that in the records of the church of Santa Rosa de Lima, Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina there are no other Chiavone's listed after Liboria's marriage to Jose Sanfilippo in July 1914 You think they moved to a different area in Argentina

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gallohjc »

Marty,

It would seem that way, however, I have a letter dated 26 July 1978 from Antonio Chiavone to his sister Maria Chiavone Gallo (my husband's Grandmother) and the address is Montevideo 3321 (2000-Rosario) Pcia de Sta Fe - Republica Argentina. I sent a letter to this address in July, 2012 in Italian, Spanish and English (thanks to Google) but no response.

Antonio did come to Philadelphia to visit just once. Believe it was 1978 or 1979. Also, numerous correspondence and photographs from Rosario. Unfortunately, the handwriting has gotten very light and no family able to translate. I will keep trying Family Search and Ancestry trying different parishes in Rosario and perhaps surrounding communes.

Thanks for your response and the continued generosity of the IG volunteers who provide great info and support.

Helen
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

The other strange thing is no children in the records of Santa Rosa de Lima, Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina in the Liboria Chiavone marriage to Jose Sanfilippo

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gallohjc »

Marty, it is strange. Yet I have seen photos of weddings, babies, family gatherings, etc. and the generations multiplied greatly. I've tried checking other parishes but there are many and not indexed and my Spanish is non-existent. The Chiavone/Sanfilippo marriage did have children. I saw one of their son in a military uniform. I'll keep checking other parishes and I'm sure at some point there will be a breakthrough.

Thanks again for your help.

Helen
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Helen
I did a general search in the white pages of the surname Chiavone in Argentina the people came up living in Rosario - Santa Fe and Marcos Paz - Buenos Aires

PG LINK TO WHITE PAGES
http://www.paginasblancas.com.ar/

Marty

Marty