Passport for CIAMPI, Nunziante

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Passport for CIAMPI, Nunziante

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I am going out on a limb here to suggest that you might be able to obtain arrest/court records from the Archivio di Stato di Avellino ( http://www.asavellino.beniculturali.it/index.php/en/ ), however you will need someone with far better Italian than mine to compose an appropriate letter... :)

You might however take the first step of contacting the Consul General of the Philadelphia consulate, enclose a copy of the article, and ask if they could possibly review their records for additional detail - maybe even a copy of the letter received from Baron Squitti.

http://www.consfiladelfia.esteri.it/Con ... _Generale/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

I believe someone on this forum can guide me with a letter...... :oops:

I can take care of writing to Philadelphia consulate.

I will check back later....I am hoping I can bring closure to this tragic turn of events.
Grazie,

Dolores
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Another possibility: contact the Chester, PA library ( http://www.crozerlibrary.org/ ).

Tell them what you know - date of the murder, etc - and ask if they would be so kind as to review local newspaper archives for the period October 21 through October 31, searching for any article relating to the murder and/or the obituary/burial notice.

Please do be sure to come back and let me know how you make out with the Philadelphia consulate and the Chester library.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Or, make an inquiry here:

Delaware County Archives
201 West Front Street
Media, PA 19063
Birth and Death Records: (610) 891-5620

concerning the availability of the death certificate (which should include the place of burial)
Carmine

dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

I'll try the library tomorrow and will let you know. I think I have checked the Delaware County Archives and will have to check my notes...........I have so many iron in the fires, it is hard to keep track!
Grazie,

Dolores
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:Or, make an inquiry here:

Delaware County Archives
201 West Front Street
Media, PA 19063
Birth and Death Records: (610) 891-5620

concerning the availability of the death certificate (which should include the place of burial)

According to this county's website, this archive does NOT have death records for 1884-

http://www.co.delaware.pa.us/depts/archives.html

archives@co.delaware.pa.us

DEATH RECORDS - 1852-1854
DEATH RECORDS – 1893-1906.

This register was prepared from information returned by the assessors. Information recorded was: name of deceased, race, sex, age, marital status, place of birth, occupation, date of death, place of death, duration of last illness, place and date of interment. If the deceased was a minor, their parents’ names are listed.
Please Note: Deaths that occurred in the City of Chester are not shown.
Please Note: Deaths that occurred in the city of Chester are missing. The are no exact dates of death for Glenolden in 1905.Deaths for 1906 were not submitted by Birmington, East Ward of Clifton Heights, Colwyn, Edgmont, 2nd ward of Marcus Hook, Marple, Newtown, Norwood, Radnor, Ridley Park, Swarthmore, and Tinicum.
Everything after 1906 is with the PA Department of Health, Division. Of Vital Records, P.O. Box 1528, New Castle, PA 16103. The phone is (877) 724-3258. Forms can be obtained through their website: http://www.health.state.pa.us/vitalrecords.

Erudita
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Thanks, Erudita. Yes, I just found that in my pending records............:(
Grazie,

Dolores
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

dmurphy1940 wrote:Thanks, Erudita. Yes, I just found that in my pending records............:(

You're welcome, Dolores.

Erudita
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

erudita74 wrote:Dolores
I had previously posted this on another thread on this forum concerning Italian passports-from Trafford Cole's book on Italian Genealogical Records.:

from the year 1869, and the unification of Italy, any Italian citizen who wanted to travel outside of Italy had to be issued a passport. They could not leave their country without one, although the country to which they were traveling did not necessarily require them to have a passport to enter that new country. So the U.S. did not require an Italian passport to enter this country in the early 1900s, but Italy required its citizens to have a passport in order to leave there. For one thing, the Italian government wanted to make sure that men who were eligible for their draft did not leave the country before they had served in the military there. Another thing was that the Italian government wanted to insure that any of its citizens guilty of a crime did not leave the country.

Now, in order for an Italian citizen to be issued an Italian passport in their country, they had to go to their closest police headquarters with their birth certificates. There the officials would check the names on the certificates. So it was the Italian police who issued the passports. Some Italian citizens requested a passport but never left Italy. Some made multiple trips abroad using only 1 passport. Some actually made two or three requests for a passport before finally setting sail. The records kept by the questura (in the archives of the headquarters of the internal police in each province) are not available to the public.

Every passport request, however, also had to be approved by the ministero degli interni (minister of internal affairs) in Rome. So a list of passport requests and approvals is kept by this ministero in Rome. The problem is that the passports are indexed by town or province for each year, so you need not only the town name but also the year the passport was issued (which may not be the same year your ancestor arrived in the United States). Also these indices do not even contain the actual date of departure from Italy of your ancestor, as he may have requested his passport months before he actually left there. According to Trafford Cole, in his book about researching Italian records, this index contains very little info of actual worth (p.161).

Erudita
Erudita, thank you for re-posting this. Have you (or anyone for that matter) ever been succesful in obtaining a copy of a passport from the Interior ministry in Rome?
Do you know where/to whom to write to make a request? Thanks.
TerraLavoro
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

I would be interested in hearing about TerraLavoro's request also.

No answer received as of yet from the Chester Library. Today, I am working on a letter to the Philadelphia Consulate.
Grazie,

Dolores
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Erudita, thank you for re-posting this. Have you (or anyone for that matter) ever been succesful in obtaining a copy of a passport from the Interior ministry in Rome?
Do you know where/to whom to write to make a request? Thanks.

Dolores
I have never tried to get a copy of a passport from Rome. The email addresses you find on the website below are for official govt business only, so don't try using them, as your emails will bounce back to you as undeliverable. I can't find a snail mail address, but believe this is the correct website:

http://www.interno.gov.it/mininterno/ex ... efault/it/

Erudita
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Thanks, Erudita, I will try it later today.
Grazie,

Dolores
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

Thanks Erudita. Anyone else....ever succeed in obtaining a historic passport for an ancestor?
TerraLavoro
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Everything I have ever read says that this is impossible.

There is only one way to get an ancestor's passport and that is to find it in a box of old stuff in your spinster aunt's back closet.
Carmine

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

some additional info previously posted on this forum

Re: Source for Italian Port departure records wanted.

Postby BlissIs » 28 Mar 2014, 01:02
John Philip Colletta answered my query in his book: Finding Italian Roots: The Complete Guide for Americans. I quote pages 77-78:
Prior to 1869 permits to emigrate were issued by regional heads of state, such as the King of the Two Sicilies in Naples or the Duke of Tuscany, through a governmental agency. Since the unification of Italy, passport applications have been made at the local questura (police station). Registri dell'Emigrazione e Passporti (Registers of Emigration and Passports) from about 1800 through World War I, are preserved in archivi di stato, with those dated 1869 and later being among the records of the Polizia (Police) or Prefettura (Prefect). Passport records since World War I, however, are still in the custody of the questura where the application was made. Emigration and passport records usually state the name of each emigrant, comune of birth, age or birth date, date when applying to emigrate or date when emigration will be permitted, and the port of departure and destination. Unfortunately, however, in many places, emigration and passport records have not been preserved, either in the archivio di stato or at the questura.
A seperate set of records dealing with emigration matters has been kept since 1869 by the Ministero dell'Interno (Minsitry of the Interior) in Rome, where they are maintained today--closed to public inspection. However, requests for genealogical information from these records may be granted if the requestor makes clear his or her relationship to the emigrant and gives a reason for the information that the ministry considers satisfactory.

for Avellino province-you can try the following email address:

as-av@beniculturali.it

Erudita