Gambino and/or Tozzolo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
menqet

Gambino and/or Tozzolo

Post by menqet »

Hello everyone!
I'm new here, and I've started researching my husband's side of our family. I'm looking for any information on Joseph E Gambino. He married Lela Nuckols (not sure of the spelling), and they had a son, Frank Alva Gambino, in Connellsville, PA, in 1898. Also, I think they may have lived in Berkeley county, West Virginia, some time in the 1920's or 1930's.
I'm also looking into any information on Michael A Tozzolo, who married Agnes Ott. He came over from Calitri, Italy, possibly in 1904 (?) and ended up in Silver Springs, MD.
Any info. from anyone would be greatly appreciated!
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Gambino and/or Tozzolo

Post by mfjp »

Hi!
Since you did not provide a birthdate for Michele, I am taking a chance here... I did find a New York Petitions for Naturalization Record for Michele Tozzolo ... hope he is the one you are looking for. His naturalization date is 1904, immigration date 1894. So we would need to find a ships record of a Michele age 16...
further edit... info removed... NOT HIM...

mfjp
menqet

Post by menqet »

That may be the wrong one....I have found out some new info on Michele Tuozzolo....He was actually married to Lucy (which my mother-in-law confirmed) in Maryland. He was also known as Michael Anthony. His given name is Michelantonio Tuozzolo. His children have their last name spelled as Tozzolo. It's difficult for me to keep track of all his different names!

According to the Family tree I'm referrencing:
Michele Tuozzolo came to America on the SS Normannia which arrived in NYC
on March 24, 1896. Michele was 10, a peasant and his final destination
was Maryland. He traveled with his paternal grandmother, Rosa Leone, age

Thanks so much for your help! I'm so glad I found this site!
MauroMags
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MauroMags »

Is there an naturalization records archive available somewhere online? Or was that record scanned in manually?
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

MauroMags wrote:Is there an naturalization records archive available somewhere online? Or was that record scanned in manually?
Hi MauroMags,

I downloaded it through Ancestry.com... actually I don't even know whether they're available online for free as a viewable file...

you could try here.... data only.

Obtaining New York Naturalization Records in One Step
http://www.stevemorse.org/natural/naturalization.html

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

menqet wrote:That may be the wrong one....I have found out some new info on Michele Tuozzolo....He was actually married to Lucy (which my mother-in-law confirmed) in Maryland. He was also known as Michael Anthony. His given name is Michelantonio Tuozzolo. His children have their last name spelled as Tozzolo. It's difficult for me to keep track of all his different names!

According to the Family tree I'm referrencing:
Michele Tuozzolo came to America on the SS Normannia which arrived in NYC
on March 24, 1896. Michele was 10, a peasant and his final destination
was Maryland. He traveled with his paternal grandmother, Rosa Leone, age

Thanks so much for your help! I'm so glad I found this site!
Oh well... I should have waited for the birthdate and asked a few questions first... :?

First Name: Michele
Last Name: Terozzolo
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence:
Date of Arrival: Mar 24, 1896
Age at Arrival:  10y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:    
Ship of Travel: Normannia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0542

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2879150542

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Could you provide the names of his children... that would help!!

There is a 1910 Census record available.
.I have found out some new info on Michele Tuozzolo....He was actually married to Lucy (which my mother-in-law confirmed) in Maryland.
---------------------
Michael Tozzolo who's wife Lucy (born in Maryland), age 21 at this time. No Children.

Name: Michael Tozzolo
Age in 1910: 24
Estimated birth year: abt 1886
Home in 1910: Ed 32, Washington, District of Columbia
Neighbors: View Results
Race: White

Would this be them?

Here is a viewable census record... not the best quality though....
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/6189 ... sus4cd.jpg
mfjp
menqet

Post by menqet »

Maria C., Twin TOZZOLO b: 16 Jan 1913 in Washington, D.C.
Rosa Gaetana, Twin TOZZOLO b: 16 Jan 1913 in Washington, D.C.
Dorothy E. TOZZOLO b: Abt. 1914 in Washington, D.C.
Emily Agnes TOZZOLO b: Abt. 1919 in Washington, D.C.
Michael Anthony II TOZZOLO b: Abt. 1921 in Washington, D.C.
Rita M. TOZZOLO b: Abt. 1923 in Washington, D.C.
Leonard A. TOZZOLO b: 23 Jul 1927 in Washington, D.C.

My husband's grandmother is Maria, aka Marie. Thanks for the Ellis Island tip! I'll have to tell my mother-in-law tomorrow - she'll be so thrilled!
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Here's a better 1910 census record...

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/3569 ... cen8vh.jpg

Census Microfilm Records: Delaware, DC, Maryland, 1910
Race:  W     
Birthplace:  ITAL     
State:  District of Columbia     
County:  WASHINGTON     
Locale:  ED 32     
Series:  T624     
Roll:  149     
Part:  3     
Page:  173A  

---------------------------------------
1920 Census record

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/1839 ... sus8ek.jpg

And they do show the twins!!

Michael A. Tozzolo found in:
Census Microfilm Records: Delaware, Maryland, District of Columbia, 1920
Race:  W     
Birthplace:  ITALY     
State:  DC     
County:  WASHINGTON     
Locale:  261-DIST     
Series:  T625     
Roll:  209     
Part:  1     
Page:  229B

mfjp

Further... can't locate a 1930 Census record... anyone??..... Where were they located at that time?... City, County, State.....
menqet

Post by menqet »

I believe they still lived in Washington, D.C. in 1930. Their youngest child was born in 1927, and Michael Tozzolo died in Washington, D.C.

Thank you for all of the information you have provided so far. It means a great deal to my mother-in-law, because she didn't know who her father was (she believes it was not the man listed on her birth certificate). She also knows very little about her grandparents, Michael and Lucy Tozzolo, because she grew up in an orphanage. Do you have any suggestions on how I could look up information on Lucy? She and Michael must have been married between 1905-1910 in Maryland. How do I look up marriage records?
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi, Just read your reply as I was about to post the Gambino Info...
---------------------------------
Joseph E. Gambino 1930 Census Information
Name:
Joseph E Gambino Age: 66 Estimated birth year: abt 1864 Relation to head-of-house: Father Home in 1930: Arden, Berkeley, West Virginia, Immigration 1873
http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/1071/gamb19301nz.jpg

---------------------------------
1920 Census
Joseph Gambino married to Lela
Immigration Year 1882, Nat. in 1898
Name: Frank Gambino Age: 21 years  Estimated birth year: abt 1899 Birthplace: Pennsylvania Race: White Home in 1920: Opequon, Berkeley, West Virginia Sex: Male Marital status: Single Relation to Head of House: Son Able to read: Yes Able to Write: Yes Mother's Birth Place: Virginia Father's Birth Place: taly Image: 1039

Image Source: Year: 1920 ; Census Place: Opequon, Berkeley, West Virginia ; Roll: T625_1948 ; Page: 3A ; Enumeration District: 35 ; Image: 1039
http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/4406/gamb19205cq.jpg
------------------------------------
I believe they still lived in Washington, D.C. in 1930. Their youngest child was born in 1927, and Michael Tozzolo died in Washington, D.C.

Thank you for all of the information you have provided so far. It means a great deal to my mother-in-law, because she didn't know who her father was (she believes it was not the man listed on her birth certificate). She also knows very little about her grandparents, Michael and Lucy Tozzolo, because she grew up in an orphanage. Do you have any suggestions on how I could look up information on Lucy? She and Michael must have been married between 1905-1910 in Maryland. How do I look up marriage records?
If any other forum member can advise... please do so... will certainly review this later though. :P

Your M-i-L must be happy you are looking into this for her! Please say hello.

mfjp
menqet

Post by menqet »

I found out that Joseph Gambino came over to the U.S., possibly through Canada with his father, Francesco Gambino. He was born about 1864 in Fontanarosa, and his mother's maiden name was Mary Rubio. I haven't been able to locate him or his father on any passenger list. According to the two census, he has two different immigration years - 1873 and 1882. Perhaps the earlier one is for Canada and the latter for the U.S.? I may be getting more information on him soon.

I found an article and a picture of Michael Tozzolo through the Washington Post Archives about his death, and I was able to purchase it and print it out for my M-i-L. She once had the article (it was the only picture she had of him), but it was destroyed decades ago. I also gave her copies of the information you have provided me, and she was so happy. She's going to frame everything. She told me to tell you thanks!
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi menqet,

Joseph Gambino 1910 census

Name: Joseph Gambino Immigration 1870
Age in 1910: 47
Estimated birth year: abt 1863
Home in 1910: 4-Wd Martinsburg, Berkeley, West Virginia
Neighbors: View Results
Race: White
Image Source: Year: 1910; Census Place: 4-Wd Martinsburg, Berkeley, West Virginia; Series: T624; Roll: 1676; Page: 77B; Enumeration District: 22; Part: 2; Line: 23.

http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/1802 ... ino4qs.jpg
------------------------------------------

Will keep any eye out for the 1900 census record... hopefully that will narrow down the year of immigration... so far we have 1870...1873...1882

mfjp :D
menqet

Post by menqet »

Hi everyone!
I think I've done just about as much research online as I can, and now I'm planning on my first trip to the LDS center to order the records for Fontanarosa and Calitri (I think that's how that works?).

I'm trying to get more information on Joseph Gambino. According to my husband's aunt, Joseph was born in Fonatanarosa (about 1864, according to the census) to Francesco Gambino and Maria Rubino. I still haven't confirmed this through any records, but I've been in correspondence with a woman in Canada with the last name Gambino. Her father immigrated to Canada from Fontanarosa in the 1950's. She said Gambino and Rubino are common surnames for Fontanarosa, and our families might be related somehow! I'll update everyone when I find out more information.

mfjp, do you have access to the 1900 census records for Connellsville, Fayette, Pennsylvania? I think that's where Joseph E and Ulelia (Lelia) Gambino lived at the time. I'm hoping to nail down his immigration date (we have three so far!!!). He may have been in Berkeley county, West Virginia, in 1890 - that's 4 years before his eldest child was born in WV.

The information you've provided me with so far has been invaluable! Thank you so much! My husband also thanks you. We're now talking about vacationing around the province of Avellino for our 10 year anniversary in a few years. That should give us enough time to learn a little Italian!
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi menqet,
mfjp, do you have access to the 1900 census records for Connellsville, Fayette, Pennsylvania? I think that's where Joseph E and Ulelia (Lelia) Gambino lived at the time. I'm hoping to nail down his immigration date (we have three so far!!!). He may have been in Berkeley county, West Virginia, in 1890 - that's 4 years before his eldest child was born in WV.
Sure.. I can certainly take a look! Maybe the 4th immigration date will certainly narrow it down, eh? So far we have 1870...1873...1882 8O

Not sure if a census record for 1890 is available.... many were destroyed by fire...

Do check your post later today... will keep you updated...
My husband also thanks you. We're now talking about vacationing around the province of Avellino for our 10 year anniversary
Sounds very romantic! Wouldn't it be nice to renew your vows there too... hint...hint...

mfjp