Do I qualify for italian citizenship?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ladybug26

Do I qualify for italian citizenship?

Post by ladybug26 »

I've been trying to get my citizen ship via father>grandfather>great-grandfather, but have had no luck finding my great-grandfather's birth place in Italy. So I thought I would try with my father>GRANDMOTHER>great-grandfather.

But I'm unclear about the 1948 rule. My grandmother was born in 1939 and my father was born in 1956; Also the phrase "was born in your native country" well my grandmother & father were born in Argentina, but I was born in USA, would I qualify for italian citizenship? This was never an issue when I started this adventure, since my father was going to apply, but he passed away 2 years ago.

Thanks.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Do I qualify for italian citizenship?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The gist of this is as follows:

1) Was your father (knowingly or unknowingly) an Italian citizen at the time of your birth? To answer this, you must know:

2) Was your father born on or after January 1, 1948 AND was your grandmother an Italian citizen at the time of your father's birth? To answer this, you must know:

3) Was your great-grandfather an Italian citizen at the time of your grandmother's birth?

#3 depends upon what actions your great-grandfather may have taken prior to your grandmother's birth and also on the laws of Argentina (of which I know nothing at all). Did your great-grandfather acquire Argentinian citizenship? If yes, do you have any idea as to when he did so?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ladybug26

Post by ladybug26 »

1) Was your father (knowingly or unknowingly) an Italian citizen at the time of your birth? To answer this, you must know: not sure

2) Was your father born on or after January 1, 1948 AND was your grandmother an Italian citizen at the time of your father's birth? To answer this, you must know: born 1956

3) Was your great-grandfather an Italian citizen at the time of your grandmother's birth? He was still an italian citizen.

#3 depends upon what actions your great-grandfather may have taken prior to your grandmother's birth and also on the laws of Argentina (of which I know nothing at all). Did your great-grandfather acquire Argentinian citizenship? If yes, do you have any idea as to when he did so? Never acquired Argentinian citizenship.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Then barring any quirks in Argentinian law, you should be good to go.

Your great-grandfather still had his Italian citizenship at the time your grandmother was born, therefore she acquired Italian citizenship at birth.

Presuming that she did nothing to disavow her Italian citizenship (highly unlikely), then your father acquired Italian citizenship at the time of his birth. Had he been born prior to January 1, 1948, the issue would be a bit sketchy as at that time women had lesser rights under Italian law and were not able to pass citizenship directly to their children.

And finally, presuming that he did nothing to disavow his Italian citizenship (again, highly unlikely), you acquired Italian citizenship from your father.

Where do you currently legally reside? This will determine which Italian consulate you must submit your application to (unless you prefer to do so directly in Italy). To some extent, the documents you must provide vary depending upon the place where you apply.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

How about some names and dates maybe we can help with their origin

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty