di Avino, Maddalena Birth

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

di Avino, Maddalena Birth

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Numero 106 for a translation please.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,348570602
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: di Avino, Maddalena Birth

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

BIRTH RECORD #106 – MADDALENA DE AVINO

Recorded 23 September 1876, 10.15 a.m. Frigento
Appearing was Michele de Avino, age 59, farmer, living in Frigento, to report that at 9.40 p.m. on 22 of the current month at Contrada Fontana Michele #12, to his wife Raffaele Filomena was born a female baby given the name Maddalena.

(I am presuming Filomena was the surname?)
Just adding: Filomena is both a Christian name and a surname so Raffaele's surname is Filomena. I can't remember seeing it as a surname before.

Witnesses: Gaetano Pelosi, 33, landowner
Carmine Pelosi, 29, landowner

Angela
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Interesting about the name, Angela, thank you. Plus, 59 years old!
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

dmurphy1940 wrote:Interesting about the name, Angela, thank you. Plus, 59 years old!
Didn't even pick up on the age. I wonder how old Raffaele was. Maybe it was a second marriage. I hope she wasn't too young. I have a couple of friends well into their 40's who have had delightful, sweet little surprises. One of my ancesters, I can't actually remember who it was now, was recorded as age 46?

Angela
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

:) Have a good day, Angela.
Grazie,

Dolores
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Hello!
Raffaele can be a surname, too.
Moreover, I see in the other records in the page christian names of mothers are written before their surname. So, I think it is still uncertain which is which.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

PippoM wrote:Hello!
Raffaele can be a surname, too.
Moreover, I see in the other records in the page christian names of mothers are written before their surname. So, I think it is still uncertain which is which.
Hello Pippo

Yes, I've just gone through a few records and also noticed that the mothers first names are written before the surname. I'm thinking that the surname is more likely to be Raffaele :? Thank you Pippo :)

Sorry if I've initially put you wrong Dolores :?

Angela :)
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

What should one do in this case? Is it agreed that Raffaele is the surname? Thanks, folks.
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

dmurphy1940 wrote:What should one do in this case? Is it agreed that Raffaele is the surname? Thanks, folks.
If it was me, I would be looking for either the marriage banns or marriage record for verification. The only problem is we don't actually know that Filomena/Raffaele was born in Frigento nor that the marriage took place there. You could still try I guess. Looking at the white pages the surname Filomena still appears in Avellino whereas Raffaele doesn't seem to. Have you come across either of these names as surnames in your travels through the Frigento records? I had a look at some of the indices but saw neither surname in the few that I looked at.

Maybe, for now, just put it aside and keep going through the birth records and see whether there are records for other children born to this couple which may clarify. (I always thought that the spelling “Raffaele” was a boy's name and that “Raffaela” was female???)

Anyways, to answer your question I would say that the surname is more like to be (Raffaele???) but I would still be looking for verification.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi Dolores

Yeah! I've found their marriage banns so we can confirm her first name is Filomena and her surname Raffaele. Here is the index to the 1875 Marriage Banns: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :106140516

Here is the actual document which goes on to the next page:

MARRIAGE BANN NO 4 (PART II) ANGELO MICHELE D'AVINO AND FILOMENA RAFAELE:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :106140516

Record is dated 23 April 1875, 3.06 p.m., Frigento

Signor D'Avino Angelo Michele, widower, aged 58, farmer, born in Frigento, living in Frigento, son of deceased Sigismondo and deceased Anna Flammia, lived in Frigento.

Signora Rafaele Filomena, Single, aged 38, farmer, born in S.Angelo, Lombardi, living in S.Angelo, Lombardi, daughter of deceased Guglielino, farmer, who lived in S.Angelo Lombardi and daughter of living Antonia Compitiello, living S.Angelo, Lombardi.......

dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

This is great. Thank you SO much, Angela.

Grazie mille!!!
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

dmurphy1940 wrote:This is great. Thank you SO much, Angela.

Grazie mille!!!
:D :D :D Glad to help.