Musso, Oliveri, Smeraglia in Ribera or Castelvetrano, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carubia
Master
Master

Re: Musso, Oliveri, Smeraglia in Ribera or Castelvetrano, Si

Post by carubia »

dawnsi,

I know who your grandparents and their ancestors were. In my tree on ancestry I have Francesco Di Leo (b. 18 Sep 1887), his siblings Paolo and Carmela (who married a distant cousin of mine, Girolamo Carubia, and thus I have her children as well), his parents Domenica Lo Raso and Alfonzo Leo/Di Leo, and his father's siblings and parents.

I have much more on Maria Smeraglia's ancestors, including 4 of her great-grandparents. Her uncle Emmanuele Smeraglia married Giuseppa Comparetto, whose nephew married another Carubia cousin who lived with my grandmother. However, not much is known about her mother Giuseppa Sarullo's ancestors since her mother Maria Sarullo was unmarried and her father unknown. Maria Smeraglia's grandmother Giovanna Casola was from Cattolica, which is also in Agrigento province, but the rest of her family was from Ribera, as was her husband's.

I have 5 sons of Francesco and Maria in my tree, too (Alfonso, Joseph, Paul, Dominick, and John). Maybe one of them is your father. Alfonso was the only one born in Italy.

Your grandmother is not the same as the Maria Smeraglia that I was discussing with Frank.

I can give you access to my tree on Ancestry if you'd like. It has more than 8,000 people from Ribera (and their descendants) in it, and attached to the profiles of many of these people are images of their birth, marriage, or death records. Just send me a PM with your Ancestry username.
KevinWCharles

Post by KevinWCharles »

Hi Everyone!

I'd like to join in this conversation...my great grandmother was Onofria Musso Carruba, who is mentioned in several posts before now. I'm very interested in spending more time reviewing the information presented already, and am certainly willing to share any information I've gathered along the way also. I do know that Onofria was born in 1899 (4 of Vincenzo & Maria's children were born before March 1905), so Vincenzo & Maria would have been married before 1905.

I check email more often than I'll probably check this thread, so please feel free to email me at KevinWCharles@aol.com. I've been studying primary documents and talking to family members for about 10 years now, and have enjoyed every minute of it. Frank, I'd like to learn more about Maria Oliveri's family also. I very much look forward to communicating with you when you have a chance!

Kevin Charles
(grandson of Mary Carruba Stokes, a daughter of Onofria Musso Carruba)
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Hi Kevin,

Onofria "Norma" Musso was born 12 Nov 1899 in Donaldsonville, Lousianna. Her parents were Vincenzo Musso, b. 18 Aug 1876 in Ribera, d. 29 Jun 1955 in Birmingham, and Maria Oliveri, b. 10 Jun 1882 in Salaparuta, d. 23 Jun 1961 in Birmingham, Vincenzo's parents were Giuseppe Musso, b. 24 Jan 1847 in Ribera and Onofria Castagna, b. 23 Nov 1857 in Ribera, d. 7 Aug 1881 in Ribera, their parents were Vincenzo Musso, Rosa Corsentino, Giuseppe Castagna, and Giovanna Gambino, their parents were Giuseppe Musso, Anna Casamagro, Nicolo' Corsentino, Giuseppa Catalanotto, Domenico Castagna, Onofria Renda, Domenico Gambino, and Antonina Marciante, etc. Onofria's husband, Onofrio Carruba, was b. 2 Dec 1890 in Sutera and d. 7 May 1949 in Birmingham.

Using the email address you provided, I'm giving you access to my tree on Ancestry, which has all these people and thousands of their relatives.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

KevinWCharles wrote:I do know that Onofria was born in 1899 (4 of Vincenzo & Maria's children were born before March 1905), so Vincenzo & Maria would have been married before 1905.
They were married on 4 Apr 1899 in New Orleans. Onofria was their first child.Their 4th child, Giuseppe "Joe" Musso, was born on 15 Feb 1905 in Birmingham.