Salvatore Puma - Opera Tenor from Racalmuto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Salvatore Puma - Opera Tenor from Racalmuto

Post by rp76226 »

I found out today that this person, a third cousin, born in Racalmuto, Sicily in 1920 and died in Rome in 2007, who is on my family tree was an opera tenor who traveled the world to sing. His wife was either Lupita Flores (married in Milan, February 1958), as her 2012 obituary says, or Maria Ramirez Flores, the name I had. She was Mexican, but adopted in Italy. I thought it would be easy to Google him and find out if he had any children, but I can't find anything about children. Can anyone help me on that? His parents were Calogero Puma (1888 - ?) and Maria Carmela Palermo (1893 - ?).
He had 3 brothers and two sisters. I have partial information on them and would also appreciate filling in the names of their families that I am missing. Giuseppe, died without children. Carmelo, also deceased, had two sons and two daughters, but I don't know their names, nor their mother's name. Alfonso was a priest for over 50 years in Racalmuto and died January 2, 2008. Dora (Doratea?) is alive with three daughters and a son, but I do not know their names nor their father's name. Marianna is alive with two sons whose names I do not know, nor the name of their father.
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Salvatore Puma - Opera Tenor from Racalmuto

Post by PippoM »

I could not find anything that you had not already said, except that he is also mentioned as Puma Pagliarello, and that Lupita was also know as Maria Guadalupe.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Any location for the children Dora or Marianna by country or city? I checked my indices for any mention of Salvatore puma and there is indeed a paucity of information about him and Racalmuto? Peter
~Peter~
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

I believe they are still in Italy. They might be in Racalmuto, Agrigento, Sicily where Salvatore Puma was born. I am aware of the Pagliarello name. Many of my Puma family (and others not yet found to be related) are named Pagliarello Puma. I have not been able to determine how or when this started though I can trace it to the early 1800s. It sometimes is inconsistent and shows up on a birth record, but not a death recotrd. Pagliarello is a fairly common Italian last name on its own. Here is a link to the civil record I have:

http://postimg.org/image/xqacoz4w5/
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I am sure you ran thru the telephone directory for Racalmuto and noticed THERE WERE 13 Pagliarello and 17 Puma's b ut did you happen tol notice if any of them had first names that ruin consistently in your family from generation to generation. Maybe a telephone call or two might provide leads? Peter
~Peter~