New Ellis Island Website is Impossible to Navigate

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

New Ellis Island Website is Impossible to Navigate

Post by rp76226 »

I have tried several times to send a message to the new Ellis Island website to alert them of serious problems with their site. It is impossible to get the message out. Maybe one of you can figure out how. Here's the message:

Your new website is horrible. Go back to the old one. It does not remember passwords. Has me resetting my password each time I visit. Links from other "partner" sites (Familysearch.org and searching Ellis Island) to you lose the information "document" that was referenced, plus has the password problem. Then it gives you a screen with links top to bottom in the middle of the page that lead to other links that you actually want. However, it is impossible to connect to those other links because as you move your mouse cursor to click on them, they disappear before you get to them. When you put in a passenger name, it disappears from view until you move the mouse cursor over them, then they reappear. When you click on 'get results', often nothing happens, not even a message as to why nothing happens most of the time. When I do get something (hasn't happened for a long time), it only tells me the arrival date of multiple people with the same name. Also need birth year. You totally screwed up what was once a very helpful website.
rovern
Rookie
Rookie

Re: New Ellis Island Website is Impossible to Navigate

Post by rovern »

I agree. Go back to the old one which was very easy to navigate. I wrote in my comment and got no reply. Unable to navigate. Rovern
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bette »

I agree also. I use the Steve Morse search form which leads you to the same Beta Version of Ellis Island. However, this form will still indicate the estimated birth year, prior to connecting to the Ellis Island site. I miss the old version of Ellis Island because, at least, you were able to navigate from page to page of the manifest. On the new Beta Version, they sometimes select the wrong Page 1 or Page 2 and I can find no way to get to any other page of the manifest. Am I missing something?
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

And did you notice that everything is rigged so that it is impossible to get our comments to the Ellis Island website? You can't even go to their Facebook site and make a comment as it falsely tells you there's a URL in your message (there isn't) and they won't post your comments.
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

I agree!
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bette »

Here is the solution. After you log into the New Ellis Island Website (Beta Version), if you want to leave a comment or request a correction, click on "Annotations", then click on "Report an Issue" or "See A Mistake? Request a Correction". It actually works, because today I received two emails from them telling me that they had made the corrections that I had advised them of.

I think "Beta Versions" are a way of having the public test their software, for free. Can you imagine hiring people to do this for them?????
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Where are you finding Annotations? I don't see it anywhere. At this point, it lets me put in a passenger search name, but never gives me any results.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

See the attached picture to learn how to contact them
ellis.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

I'm aware of that. When I click on Contact Us, the next screen I get has several links, listed vertically from top to bottom in the middle of the screen. When you move your cursor over one of the links, it gives you several more links below it. When you see one that you want, moving the cursor toward that link only makes all those sub-links disappear before you get to it. Therefore, it's useless. I've tried it in two different browsers (Internet Explorer 11 and Google Chrome) thinking the browser may not be compatible, but with the same results.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

When I click "contact-us" I get the page http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/contact-us where you can click a button "Add a case"
I use Chrome