Caporale family history

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jpartika

Caporale family history

Post by jpartika »

I am attempting to search my family roots. My great grandfather Angelo Caporale was born in 1870 in Auletta Sardinia I think? I have conflicting information that says he was born in Naples. His fathers name was Giuseppe Caporale. I am looking for any information on the Caporale family.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Caporale family history

Post by brujaojos »

Hi There,

Did Angelo come to the USA? If so, where did he settle?

Now the Family History Center has microfilm for the town of Auletta but its limited from 1866-1910. There are only 3 rolls and each roll would cost $3.50 if you were to order them.

Here is the link for the the film numbers.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

Here is the link where to find the nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Also, by any chance did your family mean that Angelo left from Naples for Naples was one of the ports our ancestors left from.

On Ellis Island, I found these 3 people coming from Auletta. However, there are many Caporale coming into the USA from various towns.

Caperale,Maria Auletta 1901 4 1897
Caperale,Natalia Auletta 1901 1 1900
Caperale,Rosina Auletta 1901 3 1898

If your ancestor came to the USA, then you can try to write for his Naturalization Records.

If you give us more information, we may be able to help you better.

I hope this helps some.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

If you check my posts, I am also researching my own CAPORALE family. Mine are from the town of Acerra, in Naples province.

My gfather, Antonio Caporale, b1899, Acerra. Parents Vincenzo Caporale & Giovanna Palumbo, married 1884 (she was from Naples proper, not Acerra). My gfather emigrated to the US in 1916.

My ggfather, Vincenzo Caporale, b1859, Acerra. Parents Aniello Caporale & Giuseppa Coppola, who were married in 1837, Acerra.

My gggfather Aniello Caporale, b1819, Acerra. The Ufficio Anagrafe of Acerra did not have Aniello's parents nor sibling's names records, I'm still working on that with them.

It is not completely clear to me right now, since I don't have the supporting documentation, but my understanding is that there are three branches of Caporale in Acerra. They are all supposedly related, having originated from three sons, who then had their own families. Mine is one of the three.

Is any of this familiar to you? I'll be happy to help you if I can. I do know I am unaware of any Caporale ancestors from Sardinia, in my own family.
4gvduro

Post by 4gvduro »

Hello Raymo,

I think I have exchanged e-mail with you before. Did Vincenzo have siblings that you know? I am still searching for info on Domenica Caporale b. abt 1860 most likely in Accera. She m. Gennaro Gallo in Accera abt 1882.

Thanks
Patti Duro
Searching for Duro, DeRosa, Schiavone, Balletta, Sibilio, Gallo, Caporale, and Brucci
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

Hi Patti,

Yes, I think you wrote me a post several yrs ago, but on another site, not this one.

Pls send me a private msg & we can converse from there.

At the moment, I do not have info on the siblings of my gggfather, Vincenzo, but I (we?) can work on that via the Ufficio Anagrafe in Acerra.

I have a contact there...too bad you hadn't posted about a month ago, I was in Acerra visiting my cousins & could have gone to the City Hall to find out about Vincenzo's siblings.
nicolecaporale-ice

Post by nicolecaporale-ice »

I am related to you!!!!! I may have more information on our family.... My aunt actually is trying to collect a lot of data on the Caporales and is putting together a book! Let me know if you want to compare notes! My name is Nicole Ice, my grandfather was Angelo Caporale, his father was Guiseppe!
capo-duke-friuli

Post by capo-duke-friuli »

I have an official copy of the Caporale family coat of arms with some history written in both Italian AND English, complete with a notarized seal. Someone in my family got this made a long time ago, not sure when... This document traces the Caporale family roots back to Friuli, hundreds of years ago, and it indicates a previous version of the Caporale surname. Friuli is in Northern Italy, bordering Austria. But with simple tools, like Ancestry.com, I've found sufficient documentation to indicate that at least three branches of my Italian family (Monaco, Caporale, and Colucci) lived in regions near Naples (Napoli) just before they emigrated. All three traveled from the port of Napoli to NYC, and ended up settling in New Haven CT, though they had lived in Capua, Catanzaro, and Avellino. So I'm curious how or why (specifically) the Caporales relocated in those few hundred years between Northern and Southern Italy. (This document suggests there was a dukedom involved? Presumably somewhere in Friuli?) I'm also curious what made these diverse family members leave Italy for the states, but either way, I'm not sure how to fill in the gaps. "WHY?" is a question simple government records just don't answer.
Gillkath

Post by Gillkath »

I am assisting my friend with researching her Italian heritage. She has Caporale, Monaco, and Colucci ancestors, most of whom settled in New Haven, Connecticut. Would love any information that you might have. Some of the names are: Prisco Monaco (born 1878 in Italy) and his wife, Antoinette; Pietro Caporale (born 1862 in Italy) and Angoilina Colucci (born 1873 in Italy). Do any of these names sound familiar? Would like to know where in Italy and other family members too. Other names are DePetrillo and Defilippo. Thanks in advance!
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

According to Social Security Death Index, one Prisco Monaco died in New haven in Oct 1972.
If that's him, he was born on May 3rd, 1878.
This is the birth record of Prisco Monaco, who was born in San Prisco on May 3rd, 1878:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349518802

He was born at 11:30 pm in 13, via Sambuci; father was Raffaele, 27 years old, peasant; mother was Rosa Salemme, peasant; they were not legally married.
Side annotation states Prisco married Mariantonia Bencivenga in Caiazzo on Apr 5th, 1902
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

This is the record of Prisco and Mariantonia's marriage:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349518901

She was 23, born in Caiazzo, and the daughter of Giovanni and Angela Giannelli.
Notice that Prisco's father is said to be residing in San Prisco, while his mother in Caiazzo.

Gillkath

Post by Gillkath »

These are my friend's ancestors, thank you so much.

Additional family members, if you could look them up, are: Giovanni DeFilippo, born in Italy (don't know where), in 1879. He had siblings, Joseph, Anthony and Maryanne (we think). He was married to Adeline DePetrillo, who was born in Italy (don't know where) in 1893 .... She had siblings: Mary, Achille and Antonetta, all born in Italy.

If you don't have time, that is fine. I so appreciate your help with what you have done so far. My friend will be visiting Italy in April, so I am trying to help find where her ancestors were from.

Thanks, again.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

As to Caporale and Colucci, I could find their ship manifest, but it doesn't say where they were from:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVPF-TYYP

I also found this tree:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin ... ne&id=I659

Your friend might want to contact the owner (if it's not her own tree!) to get some more info.

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

This is Adelina De Petrillo ship manifest:

http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7

She arrived at Ellis Island on Apr 23rd, 1900 with mother Maria Michela Valletta and siblings Maria Grazia, Achille and Antonietta; they were from Sessa Aurunca

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

These are the Registration Cards for Giovanni De (or Di) Filippo for the World Wars:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZFX-DMF

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X5GT-XZS

Unfortunately, they don't tell his place of birth, and I could not find any relevant online documents for Sessa.

Michael Caporale

Post by Michael Caporale »

PippoM wrote: 28 Sep 2015, 12:53 According to Social Security Death Index, one Prisco Monaco died in New haven in Oct 1972.
If that's him, he was born on May 3rd, 1878.
This is the birth record of Prisco Monaco, who was born in San Prisco on May 3rd, 1878:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349518802

He was born at 11:30 pm in 13, via Sambuci; father was Raffaele, 27 years old, peasant; mother was Rosa Salemme, peasant; they were not legally married.
Side annotation states Prisco married Mariantonia Bencivenga in Caiazzo on Apr 5th, 1902
Prisco Monaco is my beloved great grandfather. I took his name, Prisco," as my confirmation name. His daughter Rose, my Noni, married Michale Caporale, Sr. I am Michael Caporale III. I too have an official copy of the Caporale coat of arms framed in my living room. Also photographs of the family that include some of Prisco taken in the late sixties.