Mixed Up Death Index

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Mixed Up Death Index

Post by rp76226 »

This 1907 Racalmuto Death Index is a two page spread with two columns of records on each page. The columns on the left are in alphabetical order by last name. The columns on the right are in no order at all. Can anyone make sense of this?

http://postimg.org/image/fb9ggon43/
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Mixed Up Death Index

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

No, not mixed up, very ordered. You are actually very lucky as on the right you have the mother's name

e.g. just quickly, right at the bottom of the first page
Maida Maria Concetto di (of) Savatore e di (and of) Capiano Die...? Index No 312

Angela
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I can not see the column headings, but I believe that the left column is the name of the deceased by last name alphabetically, which includes the first name of the father, followed by ""and of", or "and of deceased."
Then the second column would appear to be the surname and first name of the mother of the deceased, followed by the record #.

T.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Tessa78 wrote:I can not see the column headings, but I believe that the left column is the name of the deceased by last name alphabetically, which includes the first name of the father, followed by ""and of", or "and of deceased."
Then the second column would appear to be the surname and first name of the mother of the deceased, followed by the record #.

T.
I agree. You've just explained it so much better than me :)

Angela
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

The small column after the deceased name - what is that column telling me?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

rp76226 wrote:The small column after the deceased name - what is that column telling me?
Hi

It just says "e di" which translates to "and of" so: and (also son/daughter) of ..... (the mother) The mother's surname and Christian name then follows in the next column.
Just ask if you are still unsure.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Not sure if this makes it any clearer - breaking up my previous example (page 1, last entry):

Column 1: Maida Maria Concetta di Salvatore (Maida -deceased's surname , Maria Concetta - deceased's Christian names, of (ie: daughter of) Salvatore)
Column 2: e di (and of) (ie: and daughter of))
Column 3: Capilano Diega (Capilano – mother's surname) (Diega – mother's Christian name)
Column 4: 312 (the index number)
It's bit tricky initially when you don't have the headings above the columns and especially if you haven't seen this set up before.
Angela