Am looking for the Bielli family in northern Italy.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
albert496771

Am looking for the Bielli family in northern Italy.

Post by albert496771 »

My grandfather, Mario Angelo Bielli, emigrated to America in 1906 on the ship Sicilia out of Genova. He went through Ellis Island where his town of origin was listed as Lobbiate. Mario was a marble carver, lived and married in Barre, Vermont, and died in 1940. On my father's birth certificate, Mario's place of birth was listed as Caiello, Italy, which I understand is now part of Gallarate.
Mario, as family lore has it, is the only member of his Bielli family to immigrate to America. I am hoping to find out who his ancestors were and who, and where, his relatives might now be. Can anyone give me any idea of how to begin this search? Thanks.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Am looking for the Bielli family in northern Italy.

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website is this your Mario Angelo Bielli
Mario A Bielli
Vermont, Vital Records
Name: Mario A Bielli
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 12 Mar 1919
Event Place: Barre, Vermont, United States
Father's Name: Serafino Bielli
Mother's Name: Matilda Galli
Spouse's Name: Sophia E Rossi
Spouse's Gender: Female
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1784223

Mario A. Bielli
Vermont, Deaths and Burials
Name: Mario A. Bielli
Death Date: 27 Nov 1940
Death Place: Barre, Washington, Vermont
Birth Date: 1890
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Sophia E. Rossi
Father's Name: Serafino Bielli
Mother's Name: Matilde Galbi

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Hi and welcome!
In the Ellis Island manifest the town of origin looks like Solbiate. Near Gallarate (province of Varese) there are two villages with that name, Solbiate Arno and Solbiate Olona.
Caiello (alternate spelling Cajello) was a Comune until 1923, when it was united with Gallarate. Vital records should be now in Gallarate . Try writing to
anagrafe@comune.gallarate.va.it
With the approximate year of birth and the parent's name that Adelfio found obtaining a birth certificate should be easy. Ask for a "Copia integrale dell'Atto di nascita" that has more info
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
albert496771

Post by albert496771 »

Thank you, Adelfio and Paola!
Yes, that is my grandfather, Mario. The records I have come from my grandmother, Sophia, with whom I spent a great deal of time growing up. I've also found the Ellis Island website very helpful and have a copy of the manifest which includes Mario's name.
I did have the names of Mario's parents, Serafino Bielli, born circa 1860, and Matilda Galli, born circa 1862, but I do not have the birth places of either one. Nor have I been able to find either one using the traditional online searches at familysearch.com or ancestry.com (limited library edition, perhaps, which does not appear to include Italy).
Your suggestion of writing for Mario's birth certificate is a good one. Thanks for the address you've provided. At least I have a starting place now.
Appreciate your help.
Al
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

A possible sister of Mario , from Ancestry. it

Nome: Eva Giovanna Bielli
Anno di nascita: circa 1897
Luogo di nascita: Oggiona con S. Stefano
Età al matrimonio: 37
Data del matrimonio: 15 feb 1934
Luogo del matrimonio: Varese
Numero del documento: 39
Padre: Serafino Bielli
Madre: Matilde Galli
Coniuge: Francesco Grandi
Sesso del coniuge: Male (Maschio)
Anno di nascita del coniuge: circa 1886
Luogo di nascita del coniuge: Solbiate Arno
Età coniuge al matrimonio: 48
Padre del coniuge: Federico Grandi
Madre del coniuge: Clementina Magnoni

She was born in Oggiona con Santo Stefano, her husband Francesco Grandi in Solbiate Arno, They married in Varese.
Oggiona, Caiello and Solbiate, are very near.
Ciao
Paola
albert496771

Post by albert496771 »

Dear Paolo,
Wonderful! Now I have another confirmed name with dates; both to research and to add to my family tree!
As you suggested, I did write to the anagrafe address you provided. I will let you know if I have success on that front.
Thanks so much.
Al
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I would try both towns Oggiona con Santo Stefano and Gallarate first to make sure of town of birth just change the town in the request
email:anagrafe@comune.gallarate.va.it
email:demografici@comune.oggionaconsantostefano.va.it

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita o l’estratto completo dell’atto di nascita di Mario Bielli di Serafino

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Oggiona con Santo Stefano . Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome : Mario Bielli
Nome e cognome del padre: Serafino Bielli
Nome e cognome della madre: Matilde Galli
Luogo di nascita: Oggiona con Santo Stefano
Data di nascita: 1888-1892
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
albert496771

Post by albert496771 »

Marty,
Thanks for the suggested format of my inquiries!
Both my father and my grandmother spoke Italian. Sadly, I do not. What you provided looks to be a request, in Italian, for the birth certificate for Mario Bielli.
I will cut and paste what you provided and ask for both towns as you suggested. I may need your help again; the answer, if any, will clearly be in Italian as well. I hope you don't mind.
Al
albert496771

Post by albert496771 »

Marty,
I've just received a response from the note you suggested I send. Quite sure the birth certificate of my grandfather has been found, though the note references a Mario with two different middle names: Mario Antonio is listed in the subject line. Would you be good enough to translate for me? I am not at all sure of the proper way to address an envelope to send via mail, if that is, indeed, what they are suggesting.

Gent.le Al Nichols
a seguito della Sua richiesta, La informo che da una ricerca effettuata nei nostri archivi risulta essere iscritto l'atto di nascita di BIELLI Angelo Mario con la Paternità e la Maternità da lei indicata.
Per poter ricevere questo documento, dovrà inviare una richiesta scritta al nostro UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE (L.GO CAMUSSI, 5 - 21013 GALLARATE (VA) ), indicando la motivazione ed allegando un Suo documento di identità.
Cordiali saluti.
L'usc delegato Emanuela PURICELLI.

Thank you.
Al
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

They have found the record you need to send a photo id with your request send both a copy of the email response and the your request for the birth record no money
UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE
L.GO CAMUSSI, 5
21013 GALLARATE (VA)
ITALY

Marty

Marty
albert496771

Post by albert496771 »

Thanks, Marty.
Will do.
Step #1 in my quest is now being taken!
Best,
Al
albert496771

Post by albert496771 »

Marty,
I have sent off for Mario's birth certificate. In the envelope I included a copy of my driver's license with picture, as well as a copy of my birth certificate and my dad's birth certificate. Dad's birth certificate has Mario's name on it, of course. Wanted to make sure they could see that Mario is my grandfather.
Thanks again for all your help.
Al
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Hi!
Waiting for Mario' certificate, the birth certificate of his sister Eva can be found in the documents she submitted before the marriage (Allegati di Matrimonio), online at Ancestryhttp://interactive.ancestry.it/1544/ITVA_a001_000Am19341934-00000?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.it%2fsearch%2fdb.aspx%3fdbid%3d1544%26path%3d&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing#?imageId=ITVA_a001_000Am19341934-00348
She was born 2 Oct 1896, and when she married in 1934 both her parents were already dead.
Ciao
Paola
PS Better ask for a Copia integrale dell'Atto di Nascita, a copy of the actual record, where you can find more info.
albert496771

Post by albert496771 »

Thanks, Paola,
Included the additional words that you suggested in my request: The postman had not yet picked up our outgoing mail.
Would love to find Eva's information, but I am getting the following error message, whether I click on the address you provided, or cut and paste the address itself.

Your search - Ancestryhttp://interactive.ancestry.it/ ... 1934-00348 - did not match any documents

Not sure if I should be adding something more, or whether I simply don't have access to this information at this time.
Appreciate your suggestions.

Al