Birth records: Lots of extra stuff about colors??

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lydiafaziotheys

Birth records: Lots of extra stuff about colors??

Post by lydiafaziotheys »

Perhaps I have been searching through these records for too long, but I can't figure out what is going on in #105 and 106 here. Especially the references to colors? If anyone can translate or has any ideas, I would appreciate it!

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,350203501

Thanks!
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Birth records: Lots of extra stuff about colors??

Post by erudita74 »

These are children who were abandoned at the wheel. The colors are of the items which were found with these infants.

Erudita
lydiafaziotheys

Post by lydiafaziotheys »

Oh my goodness. I have been reading a book about infant abandonment and this brought tears to my eyes. Thank you. You just never know where this process of learning about your family will lead you. The stories of my own family and of their neighbors can be so moving.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

When an infant was abandoned anonymously at the wheel, all items left with that infant would be recorded. Only a small percentage of these infants were reclaimed by their natural parents, but in the absence of DNA tests at the time, if a parent did decide to come forward to reclaim his/her child at some later date, describing the items left with the infant would be the way to prove paternity or maternity.

Erudita