Mattero/Mattera, RI & MA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Halfpint1912

Mattero/Mattera, RI & MA

Post by Halfpint1912 »

I have only started the past 2ys into my Fathers family tree. I have found a few records, but I am searching for where my grandfathers brothers migrated to. I know their names were
Antonio and Pasquale. They came from vieste, Italy between 1905-1913
My grandfather was Guiseppe Mattera, which changed to Mattero. Born in 1889 on the island of
Tremiti , later migrated with his parents and 7 siblings to foggia, vieste, Italy.
1. Are there any relatives of Antonio Mattera his yr of birth 1887
2. Relatives of Pasquale Mattera birth yr 1896
Both from Vieste, Italy
Their names might have changed to Mattero as well.
Their mothers name Cristina Baldizzi, yr of birth 1862-fathers name- Salvatore Mattera, yr of birth 1855
Also how do I find out which island of Tremiti my grandfather Guiseppe Mattera was born?

*** Forbidden. Please enable JavaScript. Request number 5e82f3b622f4748af55d455aef2aa599. Antispam service cleantalk.org. ***
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Mattero/Mattera, RI & MA

Post by PippoM »

This marriage:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F8KC-ZK5

might refer to Antonio, as parents' names correspond.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Halfpint1912

Post by Halfpint1912 »

I recently obtained my grandfather's petition for naturalization from Boston superior court. The problem I'm having is I cannot locate the ship on ancestry search site. I have the date he arrived and the ship from this record. But I've hit a dead end.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Can you provide us with this info?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Halfpint1912

Post by Halfpint1912 »

Guiseppe Mattero aka Guiseppe Matera
Arrival date is July 2, 1907 on the S.S. Sophia Hohenberg in New York, New York.
Sailed from Palermo, Italy. He was single.
Born in 1889 on the island of tremiti, family migrated to the mainland in the city of vieste, Italy.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

[quote="Halfpint1912ecently obtained my grandfather's petition for naturalization from Boston superior court. The problem I'm having is I cannot locate the ship on ancestry search site. I have the date he arrived and the ship from this record. But I've hit a dead end.[/quote]

You can view the image at Ellis Island. I'm sorry I can't bring it up for you at the moment but someone else here will be able to do this for you if you cant. Here are the indexed details and the link:

Giuseppe Matera
New York, Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island)
Given Name:
Giuseppe
Surname:
Matera
Last Place of Residence:
Foggia, Vierti (Vieste, Foggia)
Event Date:
02 Jul 1907
Nationality:
Italy, Italian South
Departure Port:
Palermo
Arrival Port:
New York
Marital Status:
S
Ship Name:
Sofia Hohenberg

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JXVC-MP

You may have already seen the following:
Marriage Record: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N463-TBH
Click on downlown to view the record.

Angela :D
Halfpint1912

Post by Halfpint1912 »

I went to the library and found it on ancestry , but thank you!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

You are welcome. Glad you were able to view the image at the library.
Angela :)
Halfpint1912

Post by Halfpint1912 »

I've been given links to find their birth certificates, but I cannot view them unless I rent the film from the archive. I'm not even sure they are among them. I still cannot find my grandmothers ship. She sailed with her mother and 3 sisters on September 14, 1912. I've looked them up separately and changing the spelling. Work in progress
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I've spent a little time today searching passenger/immigration records for your grandmother (Angela/Angelina Flaminio), her sisters, and her mother (Anna Maria Collette) but unfortunately no luck. Like you I have also tried different combinations of spelling etc. Can you please confirm that these are the people you are looking for and also do you know the names of Angela's syblings that travelled with her. Hopefully someone else here may be able to help. The records will be there, possibly somewhat criptically. Are you sure of the year? Angela would have married Giuseppe shortly after arriving in the States in 1912.

I did find the following, which, putting aside the spelling errors, possibly relate?:
Pasquale Martere Birth Entry (Son of Giuseppe Martere and Angela Flamino): https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1536925
Angela
Halfpint1912

Post by Halfpint1912 »

Angelina's mother is really Anna Maria Collela. I do have their ( Guiseppe & Angela aka Angelina or angelena) marriage certificate. I have the naturalization petition for my grandfather Guiseppe and it says she immigrated September 14, 1912. Her mother Anna Collela or colella born in 1879
Angelina's sisters , were
Josephine, Mary and michelina
Of whom she traveled with.
Her father Pasquale died in Italy in 1908.
She also had 3 younger brothers
Frank, John and Pasquale
Halfpint1912

Post by Halfpint1912 »

Pasquale is their 2nd son. I can confirm that because of his birthdate matches what I have.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thanks for the added information. It is always very helpful to give as much information as possible at the start. I had wondered whether the spelling may have been Colella and did try that as well with variations to the spelling. It is a bit of a mystery. Are you sure these women came through Ellis Island? I found a copy of Angela's gravestone on which was written "Angelina" so that's why I made that note above.
Angela
Halfpint1912

Post by Halfpint1912 »

I always thought her name was Angelina, but when I obtained a copy of her marriage license and church marriage record both had Angela on it. Just thought I'd try that as well. I found Ellis island not helpful for searching for my grandfather's ship. I actually found in on ancestry. But the petition of my grandfather's says Angelina.
Could she have come through providence, RI? Or Boston? They were married in Worcester,MA first born child was born in providence, RI. In 1914
Halfpint1912

Post by Halfpint1912 »

Another note Angelina's stone also list her husbands name as Joseph, but legally was Guiseppe. I found her mothers stone and her stone says 1862 Anna Maria Collela 1944