Marsico Nuovo

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Missellie

Marsico Nuovo

Post by Missellie »

Hello, I have been researching my Italian history for some time. I have been using Ancestry.com. I have struggled to learn much about my Italian side. My grandmother was named Carmela Votta(birth 1885) and my grandfather Pasquale (possibly Giuseppe?)(birth 1873) Coiro. Carmela's parents were named Rose Olincina and Joseph Votta. I do not know the name of Pasquale's parents. His father may have been named Luigi. Does anyone know how I could get copies of their birth, marriage and death certificates from Marisco Nuovo, or how I could learn more about these people?
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Marsico Nuovo

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
Birth of Carmela Votta
Index#143
1885 Oct 19th in the town of Marsico Nuovo birth of Carmela Votta daughter of Giuseppe Votta age 26 farmer(son of deceased Michele Votta) and Rosaria Aulicino age 18 (daughter of Antonio Aulicino )
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,392252501

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Giuseppe Votta and Rosaria Aulicino
Index#15
1883 April 19th in the town of Marsico Nuovo appeared Giuseppe Votta age 26 farmer born in Marsico Nuovo son of deceased Michele Votta and deceased Carmela Laino married to Rosaria Aulicino age 16 born in Marsico Nuovo daughter of Antonio Aulicino and Teresa Pietrafesa

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,392247402

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

On the marriage of Carmela Votta and Charles says he was born 1871 Jan 21. I looked 1873 in the Marsico Nuovo birth records didn't see a Pasquale. Did see a Giovanni Coiro born 1871 Jan 25 in Marsico Nuovo
PG LINK TO MARRIAGE RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1589502

Marty

Marty
Missellie

Post by Missellie »

Thank you so much! I believe your information is correct. An interesting part of this story is that Giovanni Coiro is believed to have left another family in Italy with a wife and children. Do you by any chance still have the link to the birth of Giovanni Coiro or perhaps a marriage in Marsico Nuovo before Carmela? Very interesting and I appreciate all your time and effort.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Pasquale Coiro and Maria Giuditta Lapio
1887 Dec 22nd in the town of Marsico Nuovo appeared Pasquale Coiro age 18 farmer born in Marsico Nuovo son of Luigi Coiro and Antonia Brienza married Maria Giuditta Lapio age 15 born in Marsico Nuovo parents unknown

PG LINK TO RECORD

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth of Pasquale Coiro
Index#16
1869 Jan 25th in the town of Marsico Nuovo birth of Pasquale Coiro son of Luigi Coiro age 27 farmer (son of deceased Lorenzo Coiro) and his wife Antonia Brienza

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
31053_A501004-00006.jpg
Marty

Marty
Missellie

Post by Missellie »

Thank you again for your help. This all very interesting and I will have to digest this more. I am not sure the name is Pasquale, as my father once implied he was under a pseudonym. Based on Ellis Island passenger lists I don't think it was Pasquale either. There is a Giuseppe Coiro that came over in 1901 from Marsico Nuovo. That could work as Carmela came over in 1902, and I believed that Carmela came over around a year or two after.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

According to the 1920 census of Charles Cole he came over in 1892 might have to get his death or marriage record to find out his parents names and first name. The info you gave me on your grandfather Pasquale (possibly Giuseppe?)(birth 1873) Coiro we need to find the right name. Did he have any brothers or sisters that came over to the USA?

Charles Cole
United States Census, 1920
Name: Charles Cole
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1920
Event Place: Shenandoah Ward 3, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania, United States
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Can Read: Yes
Can Write: Yes
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Head
Own or Rent: Rent
Birth Year (Estimated): 1871
Birthplace: Italy
Immigration Year: 1892
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy

Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
Charles Cole Head M 49 Italy
Caramella Cole Wife F 34 Italy
Lewis Cole Son M 16 Pennsylvania
Joseph Cole Son M 14 Pennsylvania
Tony Cole Son M 12 Pennsylvania
Sylvester Cole Son M 10 Pennsylvania
James Cole Son M 8 Pennsylvania
Jacob Cole Son M 5 Pennsylvania
Angeline Cole Daughter F 2 Pennsylvania

Marty

Marty
Missellie

Post by Missellie »

I think the name is Giuseppe because of this immigration record. This is where he came to the U.S. in 1901, but he says in it he had been in the U.S. for 8 or 9 years putting his original immigration at around 1892 like the 1920 Census. He was much older than Carmela and apparently went over to America before her to earn money and be able to pay for her passage and later Rose's passage. I believe he did come over with some brothers. Some went to Argentina and others went to New York. They never visited and I don't know the names of any of them. Here is the record. One possible connection is that the record of his supposed father Luigi Coiro coming over in around 1907 shows a Raphael Coiro coming with him.
First Name : Giuseppe
Last Name : Coiro
Nationality : Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence : Marsico Nuovo
Date of Arrival : June 22nd, 1901
Age at Arrival : 38y
Marital Status : Married
Ship of Travel : Belgravia
Port of Departure : Naples
Manifest Line Number : 0027
Attachments
Giuseppe ellis.PNG
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Using the name of Giuseppe Coiro and 1863 as birth cant be sure this him
Marriage of Giuseppe Coiro and Maria Rosa Cirone
1887 Feb 3rd in the town of Marsico Nuovo appeared Giuseppe Coiro age 24(abt 1863) farmer born in Marsico Nuovo son of Luigi Coiro and Mariantonia Bonsera married Maria Rosa Cirone age 22 farmer born in Marsico Nuovo daughter of Antonio Cirone and Nunziata Fortunata
PG LINK TO RECORD

Marty

Marty
Missellie

Post by Missellie »

I think we have narrowed it to either Giovanni or Giuseppe as his name. I wonder if finding the children of Luigi Coiro would give us a list of his sons and help us further narrow which one it is. Although I realize there could be more than one Luigi Coiro. I belive Luigi Coiro is his father's name, as his first son was named Louis. Thank you for your help.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

After looking at a number of records there are a couple of possible fathers Luigi Coiro married to Mariantonia Bonsera and Luigi Coiro married to Antonia Brienza. I think the shipmanifest 1907 of Luigi Coiro born abt 1848 is the Luigi Coiro married to Mariantonia Bonsera. Didn't see a Raffaele Coiro on that manifest listed what line is he on the manifest.
You really need to find one of his brothers or sisters to get the right parents info otherwise we are just guessing names. Do you have a obit on your grandfather?

Marty

Marty
Missellie

Post by Missellie »

No I do not have an obituary. Sorry about the Raffaele, it is actually Maria on line 13. I think the only thing we could do is look at all the possible children of both parents and then compare names to my grandfather's children. I read that the third child is traditionally named after the father and the third child is Sylvester. I am curious about that, as I don't think Sylvester is that common of a name.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Your gonna have to find the obit or a brother or sister of Charles Cole (Coiro) We are just guessing on the Coiro side now...... Maybe call the newspaper in Mt Carmel PA to find a obit for him
I believe that 1907 shipmanifest of Luigi Coiro age 59 is not with his daughter Maria Coiro age 41 she is the daughter of Francesco Antonio Coiro with her 2 children Maria Logiurato age 16 and Antonio Logiurato age 13 her husband is Saverio Logiurato

Birth record of Maria Logiurato 1890
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
31053_A501025-00035.jpg
Marty

Marty