DeNigris Surname in Gravina in Puglia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
doncariddi
Rookie
Rookie

DeNigris Surname in Gravina in Puglia

Post by doncariddi »

I've been trying to find a genealogy/researcher who can help me locate living family in 'Gravina in Puglia'. My Great Grandmother's maiden name was DeNigris, from what research I have done thus far and from pictures/letters my Grandparents have from the 1970's, I believe my Great Grandmother''s sister was named 'Maria' and my guess is she married a man with the last name 'Colafiglio' (Possibly Colafiglia). I have return address in Gravina, and wire transfers from my GGF to his father Oronzo DeNigris back in the 1950s.

I have many pictures of people with labels from my Grand father (still living) of them meeting many of these cousins and communicating at least through the 1970s. I have family on my grandfather's side who I have met (in Calabria) however have not had much luck finding these relatives.

I've tried a few places to help me research but have not made progress. I was even there in the village, where it seemed some recognized the last name Colafiglia/Colafiglio but with my limited Italian did not get far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated with someone in that town/area.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: DeNigris Surname in Gravina in Puglia

Post by Tessa78 »

Have you tried the Italian Phone Book?

There is currently ONE Colafiglia listed in Gravina di Puglia
http://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs= ... a+%28BA%29

And 12 Colafiglio listed...
http://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs= ... +In+Puglia

Also... 3 listings for De Negris
http://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs= ... +In+Puglia

Perhaps you recognize an address?
If you choose to write to one or more of these POTENTIAL relatives :D here is help with letter in Italian...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html

T.
doncariddi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by doncariddi »

Yes, I have seen those names/addresses. None seem to match the letter but of course in many decades that is not surprising. I guess I will try to write 'some' and see what I can come up with. I do have pictures I can make copies of, perhaps a letter with pictures explaining things 'could' help identify someone.

Thanks for your help
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

doncariddi wrote:Yes, I have seen those names/addresses. None seem to match the letter but of course in many decades that is not surprising. I guess I will try to write 'some' and see what I can come up with. I do have pictures I can make copies of, perhaps a letter with pictures explaining things 'could' help identify someone.

Thanks for your help
Yes, I think that is a great idea!
Good luck...

T.
doncariddi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by doncariddi »

Also if anyone can help, Where I got the 'Colafiglio' (or Colafiglia) name was off these envelopes. The letters then refer to a sister (My GGM) and nephews (other family in America. Was it customary with older Italian Generations to write their surname first? I ask because it does not seem standard today and I just want to make sure my assumption that these are in fact written with last name then their first name. I believe in the picture, Maria is my Great Aunt (the sister of my GGM) and Guiseppe (I believe that appears to be the name) is the husband.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The same format is still used today :D
But you also see given name first, as well...

T.
doncariddi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by doncariddi »

ok =) I learned something new thanks! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some other meaning to that name, so at least I've confirmed Colafiglio/Colafiglia (odd it looks like both) appears to be the surname who communicated with my Great Grandmother!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

My guess is that the surname is spelled with an "o" at the end. ;-)

However, women in Italy do not lose their maiden name after marriage, so I suspect that Maria's surname of Colafiglio is her maiden name and not her married name. :?
Are you certain she and your GGM were sisters?
If you wish to have me look at the letter(s), you can send them to me in a PM and I will take a look.

Also, though close, the two return addresses are for two different locations (#5 and #8) Via Tripoli.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Tessa78 wrote:My guess is that the surname is spelled with an "o" at the end. ;-)

However, women in Italy do not lose their maiden name after marriage, so I suspect that Maria's surname of Colafiglio is her maiden name and not her married name. :?
Are you certain she and your GGM were sisters?
If you wish to have me look at the letter(s), you can send them to me in a PM and I will take a look.

Also, though close, the two return addresses are for two different locations (#5 and #8) Via Tripoli.

T.
But, I must add, that Colafiglio could be BOTH her maiden and married name! :-)

T.
doncariddi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by doncariddi »

Perhaps my confusion also is both maria and Giuseppe use the colafiglia name? If Maria was my GGMs sister her name would be DeNigris. Back in America my GGM took the name of her husband. But back in Italy if not common it makes me wonder why the letters both use a common surname
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

doncariddi wrote:Perhaps my confusion also is both maria and Giuseppe use the colafiglia name? If Maria was my GGMs sister her name would be DeNigris. Back in America my GGM took the name of her husband. But back in Italy if not common it makes me wonder why the letters both use a common surname
Yes... did you receive my PM regarding my question about your GGM being a De Nigris, and you stating above that you have copies of transfers from your GGF to HIS father, Oronzo De Nigris?
What was your GGM's husband's name?

T.
Filmways
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Filmways »

You may look the wrong names.
There are two related names:
1. The family Nigro which appears in Crete around 1300 and therefore must originate around Venice.
2. The family Negri (which is HUGUE and famous). Also going back many centuries.

De Nigris is probably wrong because Nigris is not a geographical place. Therefore, the "De" probably simply refers to a particular person as being a member of a specific family, in this case Nigro. (Nigro, Nigra, Nigri). The Archives in Venice could be very helpful.

The name as you spelled it DeNigris" may exist today. The question is: Did it exist 150 years ago?
doncariddi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by doncariddi »

DeNigris actually I've been able to find and confirm
With actual Italian documents, several are copies of originals. Although i know there are variations of that name I've even found some colafiglios still in gravina and some DeNigris in matera. Oddly my last name Cariddi seems to have a variation with two r's but tracing back and confirming with living relatives I have on that side. It's confirmed. I seem to have made contact with someone who is locAted in matera who knows a researcher so perhaps that will help.
Filmways
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Filmways »

I just notice my reply yesterday is missing.
I think it was a "Quick reply".
Why there is a "Quick Reply" and a "Post Reply".
Does that mean that Quick Replies are not replies? A reply is a reply.
doncariddi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by doncariddi »

I saw your message from yesterday, unless you left 2 :D