Pasquale Marotta from Squille, Italy

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
FMMarotta
Rookie
Rookie

Pasquale Marotta from Squille, Italy

Post by FMMarotta »

After a long period of searching, I found the death notice for my great grandfather who lived in Squille, Italy. I know that he lived on via Marrochelle. I am hoping that someone can translate the attached document and give me the street number that is listed.

Thank you.

FMM
Attachments
Small1900PasqualeMDeath.jpg
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Pasquale Marotta from Squille, Italy

Post by erudita74 »

Pasquale died on Feb 21, 1900 at 5:30 P.M. in the house on Via Marrocchelle, without a number (al numero senza). He was a 76 year old tenant farmer and the son of deceased Agnello (Marotta) and deceased Maria Sciarretti. He was the husband of Girolama Audi. He had been born in Squille and was a resident there.

Erudita
FMMarotta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FMMarotta »

Erudita,

Thank you for your help.

Any idea on how to find information on Pasquale's parents, Agnello Marotta and Maria Sciarretti?

Again, many thanks.

FMM
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

FMMarotta wrote:Erudita,

Thank you for your help.

Any idea on how to find information on Pasquale's parents, Agnello Marotta and Maria Sciarretti?

Again, many thanks.

FMM
You won't be able to find a marriage record for Agnello and Maria among the civil records, as we know they married pre 1814 or in 1814 (based on the estimated year of birth of their daughter Petronilla (see her death record info below). You would need church records for that type of record. So you need to find their death records, which hopefully took place in the town. I already searched back to 1866 for the online death records and only found two siblings of Pasquale, one who died in 1884 and one in 1889. The parents were already deceased in both of those records. So you need records pre 1866 for their death records.

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

These earlier microfilmed records for the town are not currently online and would have to be rented for use at a local family history center. That could get costly, as you need to narrow down dates, which is not easy to do. You can either search the films which have death records or you can search the films which have processetti (which are marriage packages, so to speak). Those marriage records should have extracts of the birth records of the groom and bride, as well as death records for their parents, grandparents, etc, but only if they were deceased at the time of the marriages. You have three sets of marriage packages to work from, as you have Pasquale as well as his two siblings. So you can search for any of them, but it's all guesswork as to what years the marriages took place. Your other alternative is to wait to see if the earlier records are put online, but who knows when that will be?. If the earlier records are ever put online, they will be at the following website:

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.it/
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... SearchScan

Here are the death records for two of Pasquale's siblings:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349502602
death of Giovanni Marotta, died on Nov 15, 1889 at the age of 68 (b. about 1821). Husband of Camilla Peretta (both parents already deceased)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349502602
death of Petronilla Marotta in the house on Contrada Monticello-died on Jan 31, 1884 at age 70 (born about 1814)-widow of Angelo Perretta (parents already deceased)

Erudita
FMMarotta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FMMarotta »

Erudita,

Thank you so much for your help in researching our Marotta family from Squille.

You do wonderful work.

I believe, but I am not positive that I found two other siblings of Pasquale.

Maria Antonio Marotta - died 1902
Orsola Marotta - died 1900

Sincerely,

FMM
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Yes, those are two more of Pasquale's siblings, but Petronilla is still the oldest so far (about 1814). I haven't found any additional info on this family. I also found that the 1873 death records are missing; I only see birth records and marriage records for that year. BTW, you may have already noticed this, but for many of the years, there are two sets of death records-one for the town of Castel Campagnano and one for Squille, its frazione or hamlet. I've been checking the death records for both.

At this point, you really need earlier records to get info on Agnello and Maria. I also don't see anyone else in the death indices with her surname.

Erudita