Demo Family in Venezia (VE)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Fabio Demo

Demo Family in Venezia (VE)

Post by Fabio Demo »

Hello Everyone, I'm Brazilian and I trying to find records, name of persons of my family.
The only thing I have now it's a simple and short text from Heraldrys Institute of Rome and little history told by my grandpa(a brother which remained in Italy, and the other that came to Brazil) .
In the future I plan to visit Italy and discover, but from now I need to know something.
I would really appreciate if someone could help me, thanks.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Demo Family in Venezia (VE)

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website do you have some names and dates?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Filmways
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Filmways »

The reason you don't find much info is because you are of Greek descent. Yes, your close ancestors may have lived in Venice (which is very close associated with Greece) but you family is Greek and the name is DIMOS (ΔΗΜΟΣ). In English the I becomes E (Dimitrios = Demetrios).
Fabio Demo

Post by Fabio Demo »

adelfio wrote:Welcome to IG website do you have some names and dates?

Marty
Thank's Marty ^^
According to Heraldrys Institute of Rome, in 1290 became a noble family, with several important members. I believe from that date is more easy to find something.I have so much interest in my family history, so each information for more little that be, it's very awesome for me.
Names I don't have, but I want to know someone of the same surname and family living in Venice or Greece today if is possible.
Fabio Demo

Post by Fabio Demo »

Filmways wrote:The reason you don't find much info is because you are of Greek descent. Yes, your close ancestors may have lived in Venice (which is very close associated with Greece) but you family is Greek and the name is DIMOS (ΔΗΜΟΣ). In English the I becomes E (Dimitrios = Demetrios).
Filmways, the only site say that my family come from Greek, go to Dalmacia and stay in Venice, where I can find more info about this?Every site say that I have to pay to have information, but I don't have my own money, so... no way
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Is this your relative?

PG LINK
http://www.arsas.org/leva/article/78852 ... tonio.html

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Filmways
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Filmways »

The Dimos family is huge and there are variations like: Dimopoulos (son of Dimos), etc. There should be lots of info in Ancestry.com (Remember, Venice was established with the help of Byzantines on Greek Democratic principles. It was the only Democratic territory in Italy. Also, territories like the ionian Islands, Dalmatia you mention and Ypiros were also from time to time Greek territories

There is an alternative name is DE MOULA, a Venetian name going back many centuries. It is visible the Demo is short for De moula. There is evidence to suggest that the name de Moula was modified.
Fabio Demo

Post by Fabio Demo »

adelfio wrote:Is this your relative?

PG LINK
http://www.arsas.org/leva/article/78852 ... tonio.html

Marty
Hey, probably has 70% chance of it being my relative
I made some researches with my mom and I discover some dates, my great grandfather(maybe his name is Antonio, nobody has sure) born in Italy and came to Brazil when he was a kid, and he died with 42 years when my grandfather was 12 years.
My grandfather was born in 1936 so my great grandfather was born in 1906.
My grandfather said something about a uncle called Giuseppe. The names in that website are the same, but the dates no.
Fabio Demo

Post by Fabio Demo »

Filmways wrote:The Dimos family is huge and there are variations like: Dimopoulos (son of Dimos), etc. There should be lots of info in Ancestry.com (Remember, Venice was established with the help of Byzantines on Greek Democratic principles. It was the only Democratic territory in Italy. Also, territories like the ionian Islands, Dalmatia you mention and Ypiros were also from time to time Greek territories

There is an alternative name is DE MOULA, a Venetian name going back many centuries. It is visible the Demo is short for De moula. There is evidence to suggest that the name de Moula was modified.
What is told by my Grandpa is: "Demo" are a reference for "folk, people" in Greek, and the family lived in Venice until one part of family stay there, and other came to Brazil, just that.
But thank you for all the information, did not really know any of this
Filmways
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Filmways »

Partly true. "Demo" as you called it is also short for "Demosthenes" (Dimosthenis) is similar to Italian names like Giustiniani, or Zorzi, etc.