Naturalization Record Help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
amarino81
Rookie
Rookie

Naturalization Record Help

Post by amarino81 »

Hi,

I am having trouble looking naturalization records for my g grandfather, Raffaele (Ralph) Palladino.
He was born in Eboli, Italy (Salerno) on 9/7/1890 and passed away in Brooklyn, NY on 8/22/1967.
He came to Brooklyn from Eboli on 10/22/1913 on the SS Verona.
He married my g grandmother Anna Pellegrino (born in NY in 1911) on 5/22/1927.
Attached is his WWII draft card and SS death information.

Can anyone help me locate this papers? I have a middle tier Ancestry account (without Fold access).
RalphPalladino-SS-Death.JPG
RalpPalladino-WWII-DraftCard.jpg
RalphPalladino-AnnaPellegrino-Marriage-1927.JPG
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carubia
Master
Master

Re: Naturalization Record Help

Post by carubia »

Have you checked with NARA or USCIS to see if they have naturalization records for him?
amarino81
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amarino81 »

I could not find anything on NARA. I might end up submitting a USCIS request if nothing turns up on the usual indexes.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

How about census records? They might help you narrow down the range in which he could've naturalized, although they can be inaccurate. In some years the census even asked when the naturalization occurred.
amarino81
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amarino81 »

According to the 1930 and 1940 census', he was already naturalized. Unfortunately, no date on either census.
I can't find him on the 1920 or 1925 (NYS) census. Raffaele and his brother Vincenzo lived side by side through the yrs. Vincenzo was married to Irene (both from Eboli, married her there).\
Palladino-1930Census.jpg
Palladino-1940CensusResized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

There's an index entry for a Raffaele Palladino's declaration of intent on 12 May 1933 in US NY Southern District Court. That would be after 1930, but maybe that census was wrong. The record is from NARA.

Here's the source:
National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington, D.C.; Index, 1917-1950 Declarations of Intention, U.S. District Court, Southern Dist. of New York, M1675; Microfilm Serial: M1675; Microfilm Roll: 69

Did you actually contact NARA and ask for a search? If you haven't I suggest you do so.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Actually, I just found the petition for naturalization for him, but it looks like it's not the same person. This Raffaele Palladino was born 17 Jul 1881 in Eboli, but married Maria (b. 13 Sep 1889) on 4 Jun 1922 in NY. It also says his first wife Anna died in NYC in 1918. The 3 oldest children - Ida (b. 1909), Amelia, and Constantine - were with Anna; the others with Maria.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

On his ship's manifest from 1913, on the 2nd page it appears to say something after the part where it says he's staying with his brother Gaetano. It looks like "1931" with something after it. Can you make that out? However, on the 1st page there is no naturalization info unlike some of the other passengers.
amarino81
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amarino81 »

You might be right about Gaetano. I only knew of Raffaele and Vincenzo but maybe there was a third brother. I actually just found a 1925 NY census with both of them in it, and the street is in the same neighborhood. The only thing is Raffaele's birth is off by 5 or so years. Or I have the wrong manifest.

I think I found Gaetano's manifest which shows Eboli: http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7

Anna Palladino passed away on 4/13/1972 and is buried with Raffaele.
I believe they were married on 5/22/1927.

There is another set of Palladinos from Eboli, which I believe lived in the Bronx.
GaetanoPalladino-1925Census-Resized.jpg
RalphPalladino-AnnaPellegrino-Marriage-1927.JPG
AnnaPalladino-Burial.JPG
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Why are you looking for the naturalization records, specifically? Is this because you want to claim Italian citizenship?
amarino81
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amarino81 »

I am working on dual citizenship as well as tracing all 4 grandparents' sides back to their towns in Italy.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Do you known the parents of Raffaele ?
Heres a Vincenzo
Nome: Vincenzo Palladino

Classe: 1885

Comune di nascita: Eboli

Full text: Vincenzo Palladino son of Antonio e Teresa Pisani nato il 01/04/1885 a Eboli di professione barbiere

U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 for Vincenzo Palladino born on 01/04/1885 closest relative Raffaele Palladino

PG LINK
http://interactive.ancestry.com/6482/00 ... turnRecord

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Well, since it appears that you already know where and when Raffaele Paladino was born, the naturalization record is unnecessary to trace him back to Italy. You can contact Eboli and ask for his birth record. The marriage record in the NYC archives should also have his parents' names.

To prove naturalization or not, you'll need to do a USCIS search, in addition to the NARA one you've already done. What else you'll need will depend on what USCIS has on him.
amarino81
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amarino81 »

adelfio wrote:Do you known the parents of Raffaele ?
Heres a Vincenzo
Nome: Vincenzo Palladino

Classe: 1885

Comune di nascita: Eboli

Full text: Vincenzo Palladino son of Antonio e Teresa Pisani nato il 01/04/1885 a Eboli di professione barbiere

U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 for Vincenzo Palladino born on 01/04/1885 closest relative Raffaele Palladino

PG LINK
http://interactive.ancestry.com/6482/00 ... turnRecord

Marty
Hi Marty

I was able to get the marriage record for Vincenzo and Irene (Cestaro) from Eboli last yr. He was born on 4/24/1881 on Strada Rua, Eboli.

I think the WW1 Draft card is for the other Palladinos in Manhattan/the Bronx.
VincenzoPalladino-ShipManifest-1914-pg1.jpg
VincenzoPalladino-ShipManifest-1914-pg2.jpg
amarino81
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amarino81 »

carubia wrote:Well, since it appears that you already know where and when Raffaele Paladino was born, the naturalization record is unnecessary to trace him back to Italy. You can contact Eboli and ask for his birth record. The marriage record in the NYC archives should also have his parents' names.

To prove naturalization or not, you'll need to do a USCIS search, in addition to the NARA one you've already done. What else you'll need will depend on what USCIS has on him.
Thank you for all the help. I am going to order the NYC marriage cert as well as an USCIS search. I also have to contact Eboli again and request his birth certificate.