finding a convent

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kgp70282
Veteran
Veteran

finding a convent

Post by kgp70282 »

I was wondering how i can find the convent my great Grandmother grew up in in palermo
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: finding a convent

Post by Italysearcher »

Look for an 'orfanotrofeo'
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
kgp70282
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kgp70282 »

will i have to contact directly
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

If you want details of where she was sent etc. you will have to write to to them.
Ann Tatangelo
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
kgp70282
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kgp70282 »

I am still at a loss as to how to find out what convent she was placed in..
kgp70282
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kgp70282 »

I tried searching for orfanotrofeo and I am still at a loss as to how to find the convent she grew up in
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Do you have her birth record, the original, not a certificate? If she was a foundling, it would tell you if she was sent to the Brefotrofio, which is the institution for up to 2 years old.
If she was legitimate and was sent to a convent due to extreme poverty of the family or due to early death of parents, this would be known as orfanotrofio (for children over two years of age) or as Collegio, which was a boarding school run by the nuns who also accepted paying students. The poor children often did most of the housework and cooking preparation since they paid no fees. It's important to present all the facts when asking as question on Italian records.
Hope this helps. There are lots of sites in Italian about these institutions in Palermo.
Ann Tatangelo
kgp70282
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kgp70282 »

Oh im sorry! I forgot. Yes i have her birth record. She lost both her parents by the age of 10 and was placed in a convent. I was wondering she was from the area of Cefalu would she be put in a convent in that area?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Depending on the year you would need to access the records of the Tribunale per i minnorenni. Maybe someone knows where to find those for that area.
Ann Tatangelo
kgp70282
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kgp70282 »

Still having trouble but I did just send an E-mail to the tribunale per I Minnorenni
kgp70282
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kgp70282 »

question. were there more than one Orfanotrofio in the cefalu area? the only one in the cefalu area I was able to find was Regina Elena
kgp70282
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kgp70282 »

I have been posting in this thread I started trying to find ways to find the convent my great grandmother was placed. I posted a query on Ancestry.com as well and the response I got has me curious as well as confused. My Great Grandmother's Birth record has her mother as Maria Grazia Papania, while I have her name as Maria Giuseppa Papania. it's a slight difference I am not sure if it would make a difference. Also my great grandmothers parent's passed in Termini I wonder if there could be a chance she was kept there instead of Cefalu? I posted the record to show the name of her mother thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kgp70282
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kgp70282 »

Who should I write to? I was think of writing to both Termini and Cefalu areas I just don know who to write to for Termini. the issue is I do not know Italian, could I Write in English or would I have to write in Italian? could I e-mail or do I have to handwrite?