Caravaggio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
RobStar86

Caravaggio

Post by RobStar86 »

Hi everyone,

As of recently, my cousin and I have been interested in researching our family tree. I have tried any sort of google searching but everything comes up to Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio, so it tends to skew any results. I have tried Familysearch.org and I can't find my Nonno or my dad's Nonno on their site. I was wondering if anyone could help at all.

My Nonno and Nonna come from Rocco San Giovannni in Chieti.

Anything that can help with my search would be greatly appreciated.

Piero Roberto
Michael31
Master
Master

Re: Caravaggio

Post by Michael31 »

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Caravaggio is not listed in the Italian surname dictionary indicating that it is local in origin or imported from abroad and while it is still an Italian surname it s roots are local and actually stem from Rocca San Giovanni
and the area it is located (wwww.nhonsolocap.it).

Merisi is neither a dictionary word nor a surname in the Italian surname dictionary but is also a local name applied to the Caravaggio surname which in time became a total surname. Peripheral research reflects that Merisi's roots may be historical or artistic and is usually associuated with famous painters like Michelangelo, Caravaggio or hisorical figures such as Amerigo Vespucci etc etc.

There are no heraldic roots to Caravaggio or Merisi. =Peter=
~Peter~
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Welcome to the forum, :lol:

There are about 100 entries in Ellis Island for the name Caravaggio. Many of them are from Rocco San Giovanni or other towns in Chieti. If you can give us a little more info, names, possible dates of birth, immigration etc? This will help us better direct your search.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The historical base for Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio stems back to 1570 inthe www.familysearch.org under ancestor search. Perhaps googling withthis title may help uncover information of use to your research objectives. MERISI DA CARAVAGGIO SURNAME GENEALOGY CHIETI ITALY for any research previously conducted or being conducted. =Peter=
~Peter~
RobStar86

Post by RobStar86 »

My grandparents and father came in from Halifax in Canada and ended up in Toronto, I can't say I know of any family in the States, but i'll ask my Nonno about it.

After doing some research about it in Highschool, Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio isn't a Caravaggio, as the Caravaggio in his name was given due to his living in the town of Caravaggio in the north. hence "da"

My Nonno is Nicola Caravaggio, born 1935

I tried checking for records online, but all records of passengers coming into Canada after 1935 need to be requested as they are held by Canadian Immigration so i'll be requesting that soon.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Hi, Rob. I have some Caravaggio in-laws. I believe they were from Rocco San Giovanni, too. Only, I don't know of any in Canada. Anyway, I just thought I'd mention that.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

On the offchance that this website may have escaped your attention:
www/collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-908-e.html

The citizenship aspect is what drew my attention inthe first place some time ago. =Peter=
~Peter~
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Here is the correct link.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/gene ... 908-e.html

Peter,

It needed a . not a / :wink:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Glad you caught it. Stay close and Thanks. =Peter=
~Peter~
RobStar86

Post by RobStar86 »

checked out that link, i'll be putting in a request for info as they came in after 1935.
AliciaCaravaggio

Post by AliciaCaravaggio »

Hi, I'm wondering how did you go with getting your information? My father-in-law is from Rocco San Giovanni and is a Caravaggio, unfortunately he doesn't know much about the Caravaggio family as his father died when he was a child. Any information would be great. I have his father as Domenico Caravaggio 1906-1956 m 1937 Rosina Paolini 1906-1980. Thanks, Alicia :D