Where do I find the Atto di Solenne Promessa di Celebrare il Matrimonio?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sertolicell
Rookie
Rookie

Where do I find the Atto di Solenne Promessa di Celebrare il Matrimonio?

Post by sertolicell »

Where would I normally find the Atto di Solenne Promessa di Celebrare il Matrimonio at Familysearch (microfilm or online)?
Are they normally located somewhere within the Atti di Matrimonio registers or Allegati collections? I would have thought the latter was the source.

I am looking specifically for the Atto di Solenne... for my great-grandfather, Antonino Oliveri's marriage to Angela Di Peri on 18 October 1879 in Villabate (Palermo province). This is the collection of available registries for Villabate:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... %3D2051639

In one of the Villabate Allegati collections I've found all the remaining supporting documents or extracts: birth certificates, first and second marriage banns, death certificates of former spouses etc., but the Atto di Solenne... is missing:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,353789101
Should I be looking for it somewhere else?

The separate Atto di Matrimonio can be found here:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,353786501

and the Publicazione di Matrimonio here (which is not the Atto di Solenne..., right?):
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,353786501

-Roberto
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Where do I find the Atto di Solenne Promessa di Celebrare il Matrimonio?

Post by erudita74 »

The solemn promise to marry was a pre-unification document. You won't find it for a marriage which took place after the unification of Italy.
Erudita
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

There are two types of printed forms found when researching Italian civil marriages. The first is a "solemn promise" to marry - a document created when a couple appeared at the city offices and promised they would marry one another (the banns had already been posted by this time). This document is usually found in pre-unification records (1866-1871). The second is a post-unification record and is the actual marriage document found after unification of Italy

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

The Atto di Matrimonio would be the closest equivalent to what you want, unless you're looking for information about the religious ceremony. No civil records after 1865 (at least, of the towns where I've researched) had information about that. Legally after 1865 the date of the marriage would be the date in the Atto di Matrimonio.
sertolicell
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sertolicell »

Many thanks! I was beginning to suspect this to be the case, since I could not find it for other relatives' marriages after 1865.

Actually, I'm much more interested in finding Antonino Oliveri's first marriage with my great-grandmother Marianna Leone (from Misilmeri, Palermo province). I know that they were married before 1863, ie. in pre-unification ('Napoleonic') Sicilian civil registration period (1820-1865, if I'm correct).

However, it is somewhat tedious ordering microfilm from LDS to Denmark with lost/postponed shipments etc., so I would prefer to locate and order "Atto di Solenne Promessa..." in a first shot due to the potential wealth of genealogical information.

Should I expect to find pre-unification "Atto di Solenne Promessa..." in the "Atti di Matrimonio" packages/films or in the "Allegati" collections/films?

Thanks,
Roberto
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

You'd find it on the film rolls labeled "matrimoni." Before 1866 in Sicily that means the Atto della Solenne Promessa. Notificazioni are the banns.