Dual Citizenship Question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Dual Citizenship Question

Post by rjmichaels »

I, initially, do not qualify (it was my great great grandparents who immigrated). However, I'm quite sure my mother qualifies. If she were to go through the process, would I be able to as well by virtue of her, since she would just be making her claim official ( a claim which would have naturally passed to me)? I'm guessing not, but you never know.
carubia
Master
Master

Re: Dual Citizenship Question

Post by carubia »

If your mother qualifies then you would, too, unless you were born before 1948 or your mother lost her Italian citizenship before you were born. (Even then you might be able to sue for citizenship in court.) Why do you think you don't qualify?

BTW, this probably isn't the best forum for this question. There's another one on this site that handles citizenship questions.
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

I apologize for the wrong forum selection. The sites I've gone to that outline it go only to the great grandfather. It would be my great great grandparents through whom I could claim. My mother was born in 1950; I in 1987. The list seemed limited to a great grandchild, but, by virtue of the same logic, I should also be entitled to such, but I know how the legal process works, so I was just wondering.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

There is no limit to the number of generations. Those lists you see are just examples, not exhaustive lists. The actual Italian laws just state that the child of an Italian citizen (father, before 1948) is an Italian citizen. So you would start with your GG-GF, show that he was a citizen and remained so when your GGF was born, then show that your grandparent was the child of your GGF, your mother was the child of that grandparent, and that you are the child of your mother. Italian citizenship is passed on at birth one generation at a time.

If your mother qualifies then so do you. Just get all the documentation to show that your mother is a citizen and then add your own birth cert and your parents' marriage cert. What else you need depends on the consulate at which you apply.